GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS vs ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Ya...want a three person (adult) back seat...at least comfortable around town. Grand kids are growing up. No they won't get to use it! Also seem to take everything we own on road trips and like the size of the mid-full size 4 door vehicles...as well as the size of larger trunk space. SUVs too high center of gravity and too soft suspension.

Tom
If you want a three person adult back seat...try that in the GS before you buy it. I've had three adults in the backseat of mine a couple times, and comfort was very far from their minds.

IMHO the GS is a 4 person car.
Old 10-15-13, 05:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Great point. Even the auto mags have indicated the Avalon has a better quality interior than the ES
Can you post a link to a reputable auto mag that states this?

I cross shopped all 3 (and more), but the ES interior, at least the UL version is far superior to that of the fully loaded Avalon's. While the GS's was far superior to the ES, it just wasn't worth the $10k plus price premium. Maybe if I was single...
Old 10-15-13, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trek
I've never been inside an ES. When I decided to go with the GS, it was my first time setting foot inside a Lexus/Toyota showroom. What is the difference between the ES and GS interiors that make the GS far superior, especially if the ES has more back seat room?
The GS is a more expensive car, and the interior has much higher quality materials and design. Nicer plastics, nicer leathers, more padded surfaces vs hard plastic, nicer woods, more wood trim, nicer carpeting, nicer headliner...as you would expect from a car that costs $10-15k more.
Old 10-16-13, 08:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Can you post a link to a reputable auto mag that states this?

I cross shopped all 3 (and more), but the ES interior, at least the UL version is far superior to that of the fully loaded Avalon's. While the GS's was far superior to the ES, it just wasn't worth the $10k plus price premium. Maybe if I was single...
Sorry that I can't go back 16 months of auto mag articles to substantiate this, but I definitely remember reading it. And yes, the GS is worth $10k more but it is not just the interior. I felt my $10k was very well spent after I turned in my ES loaner car and got back in my GS after service.
Old 10-17-13, 10:05 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I think one thing the Avalon has but the ES doesn't is the back up camera curve with the steering wheel. I too question about the interiors. IMO Avalon's actually looks pretty good.
I too think 10K is well worth it if one can afford it. If we really think about it, it's not really a 10K difference. Most of us lease the car. It comes down to how much more we pay per month. And if negotiated right, the monthly payment may not be that far from an ES. Definitely well worth it.
Old 10-17-13, 10:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I think one thing the Avalon has but the ES doesn't is the back up camera curve with the steering wheel. I too question about the interiors. IMO Avalon's actually looks pretty good.
I too think 10K is well worth it if one can afford it. If we really think about it, it's not really a 10K difference. Most of us lease the car. It comes down to how much more we pay per month. And if negotiated right, the monthly payment may not be that far from an ES. Definitely well worth it.
I'll take the glass top in my ES over rear seat heaters any day. (I think that's all they have that the ES doesn't) The backup display did not curve on the fully loaded model I test drove. And, if you actually sit in the Avalon, you'll see how cheesy the interior is. Especially, if you're coming from a GS! The cap touch controls are horrible. You get glare on the screen in daylight, due to its placement. Not to mention the hideous cup holder layout. You also can't get it with the power cushion extended seats.

Oh, and you may be right about leasing. I never lease, so I would have no idea about that aspect. I don't own a business, so no tax write-offs for leasing for me. I prefer to have pride in ownership and not be restricted to how many miles I drive, etc...
Old 10-17-13, 10:54 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

ES or GS, buy what makes you happy. If you can afford it and In the grand scheme of things $10K isn't that much whether you buy or lease. It's a few bucks more a month. Vested over 10 years, it's $1K a year. I spend more than $1K a year on stupid stuff (plus interest if you finance). The question is will you enjoy that what that extra $10K buys you? That's how I justify spending more money on something I want. LOL
Old 10-17-13, 12:17 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

You need to pump up a little more on stupid stuff. It's what makes life worth living.
Old 10-17-13, 12:25 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Oh trust me I do. But I filed them under Misc Expenses. LOL
Old 10-17-13, 01:22 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you want a three person adult back seat...try that in the GS before you buy it. I've had three adults in the backseat of mine a couple times, and comfort was very far from their minds.

IMHO the GS is a 4 person car.
agreed. the middle bump is huge! Takes up so much space and its really uncomfortable for rear passengers and the middle space is a lot higher then the other two. Really let down, but i've had some passengers that sat in the back compliment it and say theres a lot of leg space. sucks too because i sat in the backseat of the new mercedes benz 350 and it was so much more comfortable. I sat in the middle too and i felt no discomfort at all and it was felt a lot roomier then my backseat
Old 10-17-13, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Most of us lease the car. It comes down to how much more we pay per month. And if negotiated right, the monthly payment may not be that far from an ES. Definitely well worth it.
For me the GS was $50 a month more. Absolutely a no brainer for that money.

Originally Posted by infamous3
sucks too because i sat in the backseat of the new mercedes benz 350 and it was so much more comfortable. I sat in the middle too and i felt no discomfort at all and it was felt a lot roomier then my backseat
But the GS is so far superior to a Benz E350 in every other way it more than makes up for it.

I never ride in the back LOL
Old 10-18-13, 04:49 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But the GS is so far superior to a Benz E350 in every other way it more than makes up for it.

I never ride in the back LOL
yeah but i care about the comfort of my passengers. And yeah obviously, no questions asked lol. lexus should've just made a nice center console in the middle of the backseat
Old 10-21-13, 07:29 AM
Kajn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Thanks Kajn...I had to laugh...that sounds like something I have done. Very helpful comments. I tend to keep my vehicles for around 10 years and want to make the right choice. Will have to go drive each on a bit longer test drive...back to back with my wife along. ONly problem is if we get a GS I have to figure out how to get her to move to the Land Cruiser and let me have the GS Thanks Tom
Tom that is going to be a "tough" fight if she remotely likes the GS. Honest I was so embarrassed to call my sales person but I held my shoulders high and said to myself "its my money and I want that GS". So when I told him the ES wasn't for me he took it well and said you'll have your GS first thing tomorrow. So by 2pm, I had my GS and not at all regretting it. LOL
Old 10-21-13, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infamous3
yeah but i care about the comfort of my passengers. And yeah obviously, no questions asked lol. lexus should've just made a nice center console in the middle of the backseat
Its not that its uncomfortable, its just comfortable for 4.

Complaining about the backseat and the key...I think you bought the wrong car.
Old 08-10-15, 07:22 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread but a question. On a '15 GS vs. ES, how would you equate road noise, wind noise? I know the GS will be throatier, to be expected. Thanks

Quick Reply: GS vs ES?