Looking to buy used 2013 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 09:14 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looking to buy used 2013 F-Sport

Hey guys,
I have been waiting and waiting and its come time to finally start looking for a used GS350! Here is our situation......(bare with me)

The wife and I are expecting our first child in October and her current 2008 IS350 is just too small. I have it listed on autotrader currently hoping to sell it allowing me more flexibility when I find the right GS. Oddly there are hardly any rwd 350's around her, everyone always bought the AWD 250's because of the WI winters. I am asking $22,900 for it, it has 56k miles, sport package, Nav, in SGM. Hoping to sell it soon.

Here is what we are looking for to replace it with. I really have my mind set on the F Sport model due to its more aggressive looks and better handling. I plan to finally drive one this weekend, so I apologize about my assumptions before first hand experience. I am open to colors like the grey, black, or red. Mileage is really not a concern being most don't have too many. Here is the issue. There are NONE around here. The few that exist around the Midwest are asking mid 50's for them which seems ridiculous, right? Granted they do have AWD but probably still only stickered for upper 50's new.

I looked around on autotrader and there are quite a few in CA and across other parts of the country for $46-$48k. I actually prefer it not to have AWD and put on my own winter tires/wheel like I do with the IS350.

So what am I to do? I can hopefully sell the IS350 on my own because its unlikely I will find a local F sport to trade it in on. What experience do you folks have in buying from out of state? Just to give you an example, my dad and I went looking at a 2006 BMW m3 Convertible for his FL car 2 weeks ago in IL and the dealer considered their car a "9 out of 10" so we drove two hours only to find a car with paintwork, tons of little dings/scratches, and some bumper dents etc. What a joke. We are both perfectionists and I am so worried I would find the right GS somewhere 500 miles away, make the flight out, only to come home empty handed and ticked off. I don't have the luxury of flying out to see multiple cars.

My other option of course is to look at other GS models like the luxury model which offers the adjustable suspension and other goodies. How does this one compare to the F sport? Price wise, in this area, they are feasible. I do appreciate a good handling car considering my summer ride I just bought is a 2006 911 S

If you kind folks can provide some thoughts on our dilemma, that would be great! I really do have a few months to wait also. The baby will be here in October so ideally I would like to be done car shopping by September.

Thank you so much,

Brandon
Old 06-13-13, 09:20 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try carmax.com

There are 5 available now
Old 06-13-13, 09:36 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terrycs
try carmax.com

There are 5 available now
But only one is an F Sport
Old 06-13-13, 09:58 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
But only one is an F Sport
A new 2013 F sport would cost you around $52,000 well equipped. CARMAX has one listed for $51K. No thanks.

A used 2013 F sport should be in the $48K range. Anything over that and you should consider a new one.
Old 06-13-13, 10:14 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Valueguy
A new 2013 F sport would cost you around $52,000 well equipped. CARMAX has one listed for $51K. No thanks.

A used 2013 F sport should be in the $48K range. Anything over that and you should consider a new one.
I agree. Any more than that, why buy used. I am shooting to spend no more than $47k.
Old 06-13-13, 10:20 AM
bigblack06

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hey guys,
I have been waiting and waiting and its come time to finally start looking for a used GS350! Here is our situation......(bare with me)

The wife and I are expecting our first child in October and her current 2008 IS350 is just too small. I have it listed on autotrader currently hoping to sell it allowing me more flexibility when I find the right GS. Oddly there are hardly any rwd 350's around her, everyone always bought the AWD 250's because of the WI winters. I am asking $22,900 for it, it has 56k miles, sport package, Nav, in SGM. Hoping to sell it soon.

Here is what we are looking for to replace it with. I really have my mind set on the F Sport model due to its more aggressive looks and better handling. I plan to finally drive one this weekend, so I apologize about my assumptions before first hand experience. I am open to colors like the grey, black, or red. Mileage is really not a concern being most don't have too many. Here is the issue. There are NONE around here. The few that exist around the Midwest are asking mid 50's for them which seems ridiculous, right? Granted they do have AWD but probably still only stickered for upper 50's new.

I looked around on autotrader and there are quite a few in CA and across other parts of the country for $46-$48k. I actually prefer it not to have AWD and put on my own winter tires/wheel like I do with the IS350.

So what am I to do? I can hopefully sell the IS350 on my own because its unlikely I will find a local F sport to trade it in on. What experience do you folks have in buying from out of state? Just to give you an example, my dad and I went looking at a 2006 BMW m3 Convertible for his FL car 2 weeks ago in IL and the dealer considered their car a "9 out of 10" so we drove two hours only to find a car with paintwork, tons of little dings/scratches, and some bumper dents etc. What a joke. We are both perfectionists and I am so worried I would find the right GS somewhere 500 miles away, make the flight out, only to come home empty handed and ticked off. I don't have the luxury of flying out to see multiple cars.

My other option of course is to look at other GS models like the luxury model which offers the adjustable suspension and other goodies. How does this one compare to the F sport? Price wise, in this area, they are feasible. I do appreciate a good handling car considering my summer ride I just bought is a 2006 911 S

If you kind folks can provide some thoughts on our dilemma, that would be great! I really do have a few months to wait also. The baby will be here in October so ideally I would like to be done car shopping by September.

Thank you so much,

Brandon
Have you taken a look in the classified's and RWD is most likely going to be in the warmer climates. The luxury is for a relaxed feel vs the F-Sport which is aggressive, have you looked through cars.com. I know we have a lot in the East Coast but they are AWD.
Old 06-13-13, 08:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Valueguy

My new F Sport cost $61k when I first bought it. It has Mark Levinson, HUD, Rear Wheel Steering, and that's about it for options, so when you say "well equipped" I'm not sure what you're referring to. In fact, I priced out a new F Sport on the Lexus website and it is over $56k, so your pricing seems low unless the dealers are knocking $4000 off the price.
Old 06-14-13, 07:50 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dseag2
My new F Sport cost $61k when I first bought it. It has Mark Levinson, HUD, Rear Wheel Steering, and that's about it for options, so when you say "well equipped" I'm not sure what you're referring to. In fact, I priced out a new F Sport on the Lexus website and it is over $56k, so your pricing seems low unless the dealers are knocking $4000 off the price.
Brand new F Sports here in WI go for about $59k without ML audio but with cold weather package. Its laughable when you see used ones listed in the mid $50's. Only a couple grand off a USED vehicle, what a joke
Old 06-14-13, 08:01 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts

That's what new AWD FSports with cold weather packages go for in Chicago, $59K+ ... Operating expenses in Chicago with our high property taxes and 9.5% sales tax doesn't make haggling any easier.
Old 06-15-13, 08:40 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

A used black FSport popped up in IL and they wouldn't consider $47k. I just can't see paying any more than that for a car that was probably bought new for $55k.

The search continues......
Old 06-15-13, 09:34 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I can agree with you on looks, the FSport is more aggressive looking. However, you will not feel the difference in handling between the 2. For daily driving both the FSport and Lux handle the same. If you're planning on taking the car to the track, then it's a different story.

With that said. You can buy the Lux model now and later convert it to an FSport for roughly $1,600.... You will only need to change the front bumper and grille.
Old 06-15-13, 07:55 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I can agree with you on looks, the FSport is more aggressive looking. However, you will not feel the difference in handling between the 2. For daily driving both the FSport and Lux handle the same. If you're planning on taking the car to the track, then it's a different story.

With that said. You can buy the Lux model now and later convert it to an FSport for roughly $1,600.... You will only need to change the front bumper and grille.
Interesting. I see you have a non F sport. Did you drive both? I was bummed today that I didn't get a chance to drive the GS but hopefully very soon. So the luxury package one does drive/handle better than the base right? The luxury ones are around here which would aid in my search!

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 06-17-13, 08:11 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

You considered leasing a new one? Would probably be even cheaper payments than buying a used one...
Old 06-17-13, 08:19 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by majin ssj
You considered leasing a new one? Would probably be even cheaper payments than buying a used one...
The salesman at my local dealer told me he was going to shoot me a quote for a 3 year lease but has not yet. Must be swamped selling LFA's and what not
Old 06-18-13, 12:14 PM
N0TSTIG
Driver School Candidate

I test drove a local GS and decided I wanted to buy one, then I found one online in the color & trim combination I wanted and had it shipped. It is a CPO car, so I knew if there were any major issues they could be addressed by my local dealer. Don't rule out buying one from out of town. I paid $44k for a nearly loaded (no PCS) F-Sport with 15k miles.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy used 2013 F-Sport