Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 07:42 AM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Cam

anyone here drive with a dash cam?

i was looking into getting one for fun and insurance purposes. the problem is that there is no easily accessible power outlet closer to the dash.

was looking at a gopro. just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was.
Old 12-26-12, 09:34 AM
Oreo27g
Driver

I oddly want a dash cam just for no reason at all lol. I'm going to try to look into it after the holiday.
Old 12-26-12, 10:21 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Try this bro. I'm using it now. Dunno if u can get it in the states but can get it from ebay.
As for power u can tap it from the fuse box instead of power outlet. Blackvue has working power of 12V-24V so no problem tapping directly from fusebox...

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=7
Old 12-26-12, 01:10 PM
wla1mjd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Try this bro. I'm using it now. Dunno if u can get it in the states but can get it from ebay.
As for power u can tap it from the fuse box instead of power outlet. Blackvue has working power of 12V-24V so no problem tapping directly from fusebox...

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=7
Very Cool! I've been looking for a dash cam for a while now and they current line of manufacturers can't seem to make these things smaller than a camcorder. This is the first real dash cam I might actually buy. Anyone in the US tried this one yet?
Old 12-26-12, 01:27 PM
stick22
Driver

Originally Posted by wla1mjd
Very Cool! I've been looking for a dash cam for a while now and they current line of manufacturers can't seem to make these things smaller than a camcorder. This is the first real dash cam I might actually buy. Anyone in the US tried this one yet?
i was also looking at this one
http://dashcamtalk.com/itronics-itb-100hd/

not having any experience with this, it does make me nervous that i have to hardwire the thing to my fuse.

someone tell me that it is an easy thing to do
Old 12-26-12, 01:58 PM
Chrisr61
Driver School Candidate

I have a GoPro and have used it in my Corvette for a Toy Run, and other things. It's great. Charge it off the computer and your ready to go. You will have to by a windshield mount for it though.
Old 12-26-12, 04:35 PM
wla1mjd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stick22

not having any experience with this, it does make me nervous that i have to hardwire the thing to my fuse.

Just did a little research and the itronics appears to be much more reliable... It would be nice if there was an easy way to change it to MPH instead of KMH. There is a 3rd party firmware out there to change this, but then the warranty's toast.
Overall, a nice unit that fits perfectly between the mirror and the windshield. You'd almost forget you had it until it's needed.
Old 12-26-12, 10:22 PM
stick22
Driver

Just did a little research and the itronics appears to be much more reliable... It would be nice if there was an easy way to change it to MPH instead of KMH. There is a 3rd party firmware out there to change this, but then the warranty's toast.
Overall, a nice unit that fits perfectly between the mirror and the windshield. You'd almost forget you had it until it's needed.
yeah, the unti isn't the problem. it's a clean install that i am concerned about. any tips?
Old 12-27-12, 07:39 AM
ronfsp
Driver

More reliable if u r comparing both running in Parking mode. The Blackvue will overheat in parking mode as it's running in full hd 1080p at 30fps compared to itb-100HD running at 1080p at 24fps.If u only gonna use it for recording only while u r driving, the Blackvue beats itb-100hd hands down with better picture quality for night recording & higher frame rate. Day recording Blackvue is also better but the difference is not very significant. Night recording can see that Blackvue is clearer.

Blackvue has better Software to view on ur computer. It records clips in mp4 format compared to itb-100hd in avi format. Night recording for the Blackvue is also much clearer than itb-100HD. For Android phone users, Blackvue has an apps which u can download in Play Store to view the recorded on ur phone. Just connect a card reader to the Android phone ( i'm using Galaxy Note 2) & insert the micro SD card to it, then u can watch wat u recorded on the fly! Or u can insert the micro sd card to the phone memory card slot which is more troublesome....

Another cool feature of the Blackvue DR400G-HD 2 is there is voice prompt. When u start the car juz before it starts recording there will be a lady voice prompt " Blackvue For Your Safe Driving... Starting Normal Recording", & when turning off the car same voice prompt " Blackvue Is Shutting Down". As in other recording mode like Parking mode, it will also have voice prompt to tell u that it's going into Parking Mode recording" Parking mode will automatically activate if car is left idling for abt 15 minutes i think...

I'm been comparing the Blackvue DR400G-HD 2 & the Itronics ITB-100HD & i ended up buying the Blackvue. I dun need Parking Mode recording so overheat is not an issue to me if i only use the Blackvue for recording while driving.

Last edited by ronfsp; 12-27-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-27-12, 07:46 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Originally Posted by stick22

It's easy bro. The installer for my unit did it in less than 5 minutes. The more time consuming part is to position the cam itself as u need to position it in the middle while at the correct angle. The installer adjust it, too the micro sd out to view, put the micro sd card in to the cam again, adjust the cam again repeat these steps a few times until he got the postiton & angle correct! As the unit dun have a viewer so u need to take out the micro sd card to view to see if the position is correct or not...