GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Apexi Smart Accel - Install and Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 09:11 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kcstunna82
Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about getting this one myself. Been trying decide if I should get fogs first or this.
Flip a coin? Haha jk. IMO, I would do this mod first because it really transforms the car and very easy to install. Fogs are really just cosmetic and definitely will be more difficult/take more time to install.
Old 06-08-17, 07:48 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

where u guys mount the button?
Old 06-08-17, 09:55 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richard203
where u guys mount the button?
Old 06-14-17, 05:54 PM
GSTreFive0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Nice setup there, dchar. I have a couple questions for you (and anyone else who installed this already).
1) You said in a previous post that you didn't have to remove any panels to install this. But from your pic, it looks like a pretty clean install with minimal wires showing? How did you achieve that without removing any panels?
2) Was there an open slot that you used to mount the Apex-i button? Or did you use some kind of adhesive?
3) Did you also wire up the reverse gear harness? If not, was there any unexpected consequences of not doing so?
4) You also mentioned in a previous post that the unit will reset if you press on the accelerator passed the detent? Was this possibly because when you originally calibrated it, you didn't press it passed the detent?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions :-)
Old 06-14-17, 06:25 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSTreFive0
Nice setup there, dchar. I have a couple questions for you (and anyone else who installed this already).
1) You said in a previous post that you didn't have to remove any panels to install this. But from your pic, it looks like a pretty clean install with minimal wires showing? How did you achieve that without removing any panels?
2) Was there an open slot that you used to mount the Apex-i button? Or did you use some kind of adhesive?
3) Did you also wire up the reverse gear harness? If not, was there any unexpected consequences of not doing so?
4) You also mentioned in a previous post that the unit will reset if you press on the accelerator passed the detent? Was this possibly because when you originally calibrated it, you didn't press it passed the detent?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions :-)
1) If you can fit your upper half in the footwell area and reach up to disconnect the gas pedal, then no panel removal needed. Tucked the wires behind the carpet and stuffed everything in the open space behind the lower panel (near hood release) after hooking everything up.

2) No open slots available. Just taped the end of the wire to a long chopstick and ran it through the hole for the steering column to connect to the unit in the footwell area. Then just used the included adhesive to attach the button to the space as shown.

3) Didn't bother with reverse gear harness. Tried applying the throttle in reverse in purple and red mode and it didn't seem that crazy to me. No consequences for not hooking it up. Some people are worried about car reversing too quickly if they have it in a Boost mode and apply some throttle in reverse.

4) Pressing the throttle past the detent will program that as hi-throttle and prevent the controller from resetting when you go full throttle.

Last edited by dchar; 07-01-17 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GSTreFive0 (06-14-17)
Old 07-01-17, 06:47 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OK installation really is easy, people were right. It was really intimidating at first but just read the instructions and posts on the forum. All you do is basically take out the throttle sensor cord, add the apexi to it, and plug it back in, and program the apexi which takes literally a minute.
Old 07-01-17, 07:51 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed this but I don't seem to notice much difference. I drove afterwards and switched through the modes and obviously I felt the difference between modes but nothing significant like other users said they experienced. Idk maybe I calibrated it wrong but I don't think so, everything is working the way its supposed to, lights blink, etc
Old 07-01-17, 08:53 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Red mode seems to.do the trick for me. It's very snappy on responding on my IS250. if your driving on the freeway with alot of incline it'll tend to shift alot especially if you're on cruise, so I switch modes to white or purple.
Old 01-16-20, 12:46 AM
2kRandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Allb18c
It really bothered me that there was such a lag in trottle response. I'm used to instant response so I went ahead and ordered the Apexi Smart Accel.

You need PN# 410-A001 and 417-A021 (specific for 2013 GS350).

Here is a pic of the components:
Attachment 462417

Here is a close-up of the switch:

Installation was quite easy. The hardest part for me was getting the wire harness off of the accelerator pedal. You need some strong fingers to get the latch open. Essentially, this goes inline with the pedal. OEM wire harness - Apexi box - accelerator pedal. Anyways, here is a pic of the pedal harness:
Attachment 462418

I ran the switch over to the left hand side of the dash. You need to take the bottom bezel and radio bezel to order to get the upper cover off. I hope that makes sense but here is a pic of where the Apexi switch will live:
Attachment 462419

After everything is put back together there is an initial setup step where you need to program the Apexi with closed and WOT position. Very easy to setup.

Here is a pic of the switch lit up:
Attachment 462420

There are 7 modes to this controller ECO, Boost and Low-High throttle. I played with all modes and ultimately I'm sticking with Boost mode 2. I dont think I'll ever use the ECO modes. When you hit the pedal now there is instant response which I'm used to experiencing. I recommend this to anyone who wants quicker throttle response!.

Stupid Q but would that part number work on ‘14 F-Sport AWD?

Last edited by 2kRandy; 01-16-20 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-16-20, 08:50 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kRandy
Stupid Q but would that part number work on ‘14 F-Sport AWD?
Every reply of yours has been to threads that are several years old. I don’t know if you’re aware of that but thought you might want to know.
Old 01-16-20, 09:35 AM
2kRandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
Every reply of yours has been to threads that are several years old. I don’t know if you’re aware of that but thought you might want to know.
sorry for trying to learn 😔
Old 01-16-20, 12:09 PM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
That means he's searching instead of making new threads at least!

I actually like that this post has been brought to the top - throttle controller is on my spring to-do list and this made me realize it won't be long till that time comes! wooo
The following users liked this post:
Farizzl3 (02-04-20)
Old 01-16-20, 02:53 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kRandy
sorry for trying to learn 😔
I wasn’t trying to criticize you, I just saw you asking a question and I didn’t know if you were aware that those posts are several years old. You might not get the answer you’re after for awhile.
Old 01-16-20, 04:50 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

For you guys using this eventually your going to destroy the accelerator sensor from the increased voltage from the throttle controller. See this thread the dealership confirmed the damage was from the apexi throttle controller and cost him $900 to fix.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ler-issue.html

Last edited by peasodos; 01-17-20 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (01-16-20), jonathancl (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 04:47 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Bizzare. For example a 1-10v analog sensor will turn the input into a 8-10-12 bit or whatever integer used to drive an output. Giving it 11v won't automatically make the output drive further, unless specifically programmed to.
In this case the throttle controller is either working within parameters doing nothing your right foot couldn't do, or creating an overvoltage event - damaging your vehicle. Given how expensive parts are, why risk it? There is literally nothing to gain.