Apexi Smart Accel - Install and Review - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) Discussion about the 2013 GS models

Apexi Smart Accel - Install and Review

Old 06-08-17, 10:11 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kcstunna82 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about getting this one myself. Been trying decide if I should get fogs first or this.
Flip a coin? Haha jk. IMO, I would do this mod first because it really transforms the car and very easy to install. Fogs are really just cosmetic and definitely will be more difficult/take more time to install.
Old 06-08-17, 08:48 PM
richard203
Lexus Test Driver

where u guys mount the button?
Old 06-08-17, 10:55 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richard203 View Post
where u guys mount the button?
Old 06-14-17, 06:54 PM
GSTreFive0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar View Post
Nice setup there, dchar. I have a couple questions for you (and anyone else who installed this already).
1) You said in a previous post that you didn't have to remove any panels to install this. But from your pic, it looks like a pretty clean install with minimal wires showing? How did you achieve that without removing any panels?
2) Was there an open slot that you used to mount the Apex-i button? Or did you use some kind of adhesive?
3) Did you also wire up the reverse gear harness? If not, was there any unexpected consequences of not doing so?
4) You also mentioned in a previous post that the unit will reset if you press on the accelerator passed the detent? Was this possibly because when you originally calibrated it, you didn't press it passed the detent?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions :-)
Old 06-14-17, 07:25 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSTreFive0 View Post
Nice setup there, dchar. I have a couple questions for you (and anyone else who installed this already).
1) You said in a previous post that you didn't have to remove any panels to install this. But from your pic, it looks like a pretty clean install with minimal wires showing? How did you achieve that without removing any panels?
2) Was there an open slot that you used to mount the Apex-i button? Or did you use some kind of adhesive?
3) Did you also wire up the reverse gear harness? If not, was there any unexpected consequences of not doing so?
4) You also mentioned in a previous post that the unit will reset if you press on the accelerator passed the detent? Was this possibly because when you originally calibrated it, you didn't press it passed the detent?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions :-)
1) If you can fit your upper half in the footwell area and reach up to disconnect the gas pedal, then no panel removal needed. Tucked the wires behind the carpet and stuffed everything in the open space behind the lower panel (near hood release) after hooking everything up.

2) No open slots available. Just taped the end of the wire to a long chopstick and ran it through the hole for the steering column to connect to the unit in the footwell area. Then just used the included adhesive to attach the button to the space as shown.

3) Didn't bother with reverse gear harness. Tried applying the throttle in reverse in purple and red mode and it didn't seem that crazy to me. No consequences for not hooking it up. Some people are worried about car reversing too quickly if they have it in a Boost mode and apply some throttle in reverse.

4) Pressing the throttle past the detent will program that as hi-throttle and prevent the controller from resetting when you go full throttle.

Last edited by dchar; 07-01-17 at 11:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dchar For This Useful Post:
GSTreFive0 (06-14-17)
Old 07-01-17, 07:47 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

OK installation really is easy, people were right. It was really intimidating at first but just read the instructions and posts on the forum. All you do is basically take out the throttle sensor cord, add the apexi to it, and plug it back in, and program the apexi which takes literally a minute.
Old 07-01-17, 08:51 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

I installed this but I don't seem to notice much difference. I drove afterwards and switched through the modes and obviously I felt the difference between modes but nothing significant like other users said they experienced. Idk maybe I calibrated it wrong but I don't think so, everything is working the way its supposed to, lights blink, etc
Old 07-01-17, 09:53 PM
10lexISR6
Lexus Test Driver

Red mode seems to.do the trick for me. It's very snappy on responding on my IS250. if your driving on the freeway with alot of incline it'll tend to shift alot especially if you're on cruise, so I switch modes to white or purple.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apexi Smart Accel - Install and Review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: