GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Steering Wheel Vibration - Dunlop Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 11:43 AM
abacomike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration - Dunlop Tires?

They've balanced the Dunlop Tires on my car twice now, but in the morning, I still get a vibration like the tires are out of balance. This is a GS4 Base car, loaded. The dealer has the car now. They are trying to determine if the tire flattens when pressures drop a few pounds over night and the tires cool. The vibration lessens as pressures build again and the tires heat up on the highway. I had to call Lexus in Torrance to get them working on this problem.

Anyone else having problems with this? It is not related to the recall on the F Sport steering.
Old 05-30-12, 01:26 PM
hello12
Driver School Candidate

yes, this is happening to me as well. It only occurs in the morning!!!! I thought i seen a thread where someone moved to Michelins and it resolved the problem.

I'll try to find the thread....
Old 05-30-12, 03:36 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by abacomike
They've balanced the Dunlop Tires on my car twice now, but in the morning, I still get a vibration like the tires are out of balance. This is a GS4 Base car, loaded. The dealer has the car now. They are trying to determine if the tire flattens when pressures drop a few pounds over night and the tires cool. The vibration lessens as pressures build again and the tires heat up on the highway. I had to call Lexus in Torrance to get them working on this problem.

Anyone else having problems with this? It is not related to the recall on the F Sport steering.
Sounds like flat spotting...I'm surprised as I see you're out in FL...
Old 05-30-12, 03:43 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't noticed that problem yet, but i will ck it out , let u know guys,btw , how many miles u guys have on the car and do u guys drive it every day , let me know. my brother works for Bridgstone, i will find more details about that.
Old 05-30-12, 07:26 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

You finally found this forum, welcome. You will find more info here than Edmunds
Old 05-30-12, 08:12 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 on my F-Sport 19 inch rims were worse with flat spot vibration even after few hours sitting during the cool spring days 45-55 degrees in March/April. The steering wheel had some vibration in them in the mornings and also in the seats after sitting overnight. Very irritating and noticeable.
I switched over to the superior Michelin Primacy MXM4 which helped eliminate 95% of the morning flat spot vibration and is very smooth and comfortable compared to the Bridgestones. Since these are low profile tires they are prone to having some flat spots overnight but should not be that bad of an issue. I properly inflated my tires to 35 psi and the problem is negligible in the morning but slight vibration in the steering wheel with the Michelins Primacy MXM4 for about 2 miles when we have rapid swings in temps from 80 degrees to 50 overnight. Otherwise if temperatures are stable and when car is driven during the day and kept parked for long hours no problem. Other cars do it too depending on types of tires and profiles. So keep the tires inflated properly and even switch the brand of tires to help.
Old 05-30-12, 08:25 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember the tires on my '04 Acura TL had flat-spotting and seemed unbalanced until they warmed up. Haven't had that issue with my GS with Dunlop tires, but it is an F Sport so different rims and tires.
Old 06-14-12, 04:43 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went through this issue big time. I just switched my 19's for 20's and had them balanced at a pro shop. At around 74 MPH everything started to shake. Took it in the get it balance checked again. They found a few weights out and re balanced. Hit 74 MPH and the shaking was still there. I went to another shop I used before that had this Road Force Balancing system. They found out that one of the tires was defective. They balanced it as best they could and away I went. I called the place where I bought the tires and they agreed to replace it for me.

I would get a Road Force balance first (lots of shops have them now) and then hit your dealer up for new tires if the report comes back negative. You wont be able to find out with the dealer. They truly don't know anything! You have to go to the street.

P.S. Just thought I would mention that I am running on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the absolute best tires you can buy, so no manufacturer is immune to defects!

Last edited by JOELC; 06-14-12 at 04:45 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 06-14-12, 05:20 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same tires on my 4GS and do not have the problem. But it's worth watching.
Old 06-14-12, 07:26 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Michelin tires on my GS and do not have a problem, I agree with JOELC about the Road Force balance.
Old 06-22-12, 10:21 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update,

I have the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on my GS F-Sport 19 inch rims and they cause a small vibration (2-3 mm) in the steering wheel in the mornings even if its warm outside and when the car is parked outside in hot weather for 4 or more hours. This vibration appears around 50-55 mph and goes away after 1.5-2 miles. I have put nitrogen in the tires which helped a bit but I had the tires mounted last month and put over 1,500 miles on them and they have improved considerably but not smooth when sat for few hours and I assume it could be that 1 of the tire has a slightly high road force. I recall 8 lbs for the left front tire and 12 lbs for the right front tire. Lexus spec is below 10 lbs or around there so still it shouldnt be that big of an issue. The steering wheel is very smooth after this few miles warm up in the morning and if car was sitting at work parking lot for longer than 5 hours. Otherwise I do not get this when car is sitting for few hours or less in 1 spot. I can go up to 90 plus MPH without steering vibration after this initial warm up and drive for a long time with no issues throughout the day.

Thus, it cannot be flat spotting for sure as weather is warm and the tires are new and road forced well and the tires are Michelins (high quality) and that the other GS with the luxury package and 18 inch tire version of the same Michelin MXM4 do not vibrate steering wheel when sitting in lot for 1-2 weeks or more. So I wonder if its my dynamic balance is slightly off or that I probably need to be re-road forced again.... The pressure is good (33-36 psi) depending on morning or afternoon temps.
Old 06-23-12, 08:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
Just went through this issue big time. I just switched my 19's for 20's and had them balanced at a pro shop. At around 74 MPH everything started to shake. Took it in the get it balance checked again. They found a few weights out and re balanced. Hit 74 MPH and the shaking was still there. I went to another shop I used before that had this Road Force Balancing system. They found out that one of the tires was defective. They balanced it as best they could and away I went. I called the place where I bought the tires and they agreed to replace it for me.

I would get a Road Force balance first (lots of shops have them now) and then hit your dealer up for new tires if the report comes back negative. You wont be able to find out with the dealer. They truly don't know anything! You have to go to the street.

P.S. Just thought I would mention that I am running on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the absolute best tires you can buy, so no manufacturer is immune to defects!
All Lexus dealers have a Hunter Road Force balancing machine. It's a Lexus factory requirement for all dealerships to have.

Since your GS are still covered by your factory warranty, take it to the dealership first to see if they can remedy your issue. Of course the visit is free of charge.
Old 06-23-12, 09:13 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
All Lexus dealers have a Hunter Road Force balancing machine. It's a Lexus factory requirement for all dealerships to have.

Since your GS are still covered by your factory warranty, take it to the dealership first to see if they can remedy your issue. Of course the visit is free of charge.
LEXUS OF RVC IN LONG ISLAND,,, doesn't have a hunter road force balance machine. i asked to have my wheels balanced on that machine and was told that they did not have one.
Old 06-23-12, 09:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
LEXUS OF RVC IN LONG ISLAND,,, doesn't have a hunter road force balance machine. i asked to have my wheels balanced on that machine and was told that they did not have one.
Try their sister dealer Lexus of Massapequa.
Old 06-25-12, 10:27 AM
jygesq
Driver School Candidate

Default have them balance on hunter 9700 roadforce balancer

That is the only way to gol

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration - Dunlop Tires?