GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clean Parking Assist Sensor/Malfunction after chrome delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 08:55 PM
Xtub8
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clean Parking Assist Sensor/Malfunction after chrome delete

Hey all, I could appreciate some help here.

Just picked up my 2017 GS350 RWD F Sport from a chrome delete and roof wrap, and as I turned on the vehicle at the shop, was greeted with an alert stating "Clean Parking Assist Sensor ---> Parking Assist Sensor Malfunction". This was not present before, nor ever an issue before with my vehicle due to rain or snow (Arizona). Everything was working beautifully prior to drop off. Never had a sensor malfunction, and car has not had any front/rear end damage under my ownership.

Wrap shop removed front bumper to do chrome delete on front grill trim, then replaced it. Visual inspection of connections, everything seemed in line- they're in place and connected. Battery was disconnected for several minutes in an attempt to "reset". No luck. Wiped sensors - nope. After driving car home, still had issue in garage, same error.

Any idea what the icons indicate with clean sensor warning? The initial icons look like blue hexagons with white lines - across all sensors front and back. Then progresses to Sensor malfunction alert, which has red circles with red diagonal line - again with all sensor locations front and back.

What I'd like to know is if there are other initial steps to troubleshoot before heading to a dealership for diagnosis/fix

My suspicion is that the removal of the bumper and subsequent reattachment of sensors/fittings caused the issue. Maybe an incorrect reattachment of the bumper and sensors.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and shout out to all of you who've posted your chrome deletes/ roof wraps in this forum. Great inspiration, and car looks incredible. Just have this to deal with now.
Old 12-14-22, 09:05 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

i think you should bring the car back to the shop and ask them to fix it since you didnt have this before dropping off.
Old 12-14-22, 09:10 PM
Xtub8
3rd Gear

Agree, and that's the plan, but wanted to head back with more information in hand, if any additional suggestions were possible beyond "hey fix the problem that was created."
Old 12-14-22, 11:13 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtub8
Agree, and that's the plan, but wanted to head back with more information in hand, if any additional suggestions were possible beyond "hey fix the problem that was created."
u shouldn't have left the shop and let them handle it and just say hey the light is on and wasnt there before
Old 12-15-22, 07:52 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

It sounds like one or more sensors were damaged or not fitted correctly when they reattached the bumper. Its really tough to tell by just looking at the bumper itself to confirm a sensor is problematic.

It may be as simple as them disconnecting the bumper and checking each sensor/connection/wires.

See this thread for additional links/experiences: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-working.html
The following users liked this post:
PrimeDave (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 09:55 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Why did they remove the front bumper???? That is absolutely unnecessary for a simple chrome delete on the front or even a full wrap on the front. Definitely take it back to them and get them to pay for whatever is involved now, to remedy the issue.

Word to the wise. Never let wrap shops take panels or bumpers of your car off for these exact reasons. I don't even let them take badges off. I say cut around it and do a good job. And they do.
Old 12-15-22, 10:26 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Did they apply wrap over the sensors?
Old 12-15-22, 12:40 PM
Xtub8
3rd Gear

I had the shop replace the two z(s) shaped chrome trim grill pieces, which were heavily damaged from road debris. Got replacements directly from lexus. Had shop wrap new pieces. Remove old ones which were too damaged to salvage, and replace with wrapped pieces. Which as I understand it, requires front bumper removal.

No additional front end work done. Clear bra placed by lexus is in place, and sensors are uncovered.

I'll update this later. Car is back with shop, looking into connections etc. Next step would be to go to lexus to get diagnostics and then obviously ask shop to pay for any repairs to damaged equipment. I assume lexus could print history of diagnostic codes, and therefore show no prior history of sensor malfunction...?

Easy answer is that it's likely the connections that need a closer look. Difficult answer is that potentially a sensor is broken and get repaired at lexus on shop dime.

Came here to see if there was anything outside the box to consider based on community experience.

Appreciate the input!
Old 12-15-22, 10:26 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Probably didn’t plug a sensor or it’s not fully clicked in, most likely a connection issue not a broken sensor.