GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Gs 4th generation is rear multilink suspention better than double wishbone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 09:10 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gs 4th generation is rear multilink suspention better than double wishbone?

Hi everyone i wonder, on my gs 4th generation is rear multi link suspention which gs 4th generation have is it better than double wishbone?

What are the advantages and dissadvantages?
my classical cara have front and rear double wishbone suspention,

gs have rear multi link which i think its more costly and complex to service ?

Can someone shed light about this , please.
Old 09-25-22, 12:30 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 442 Likes on 277 Posts

A quick google search:

Old 09-25-22, 12:32 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
i am already familiar with wikipedia and youtube i need your opinion , what gs will gain if its with double wishbone rear suspention compared to multi link smaller boot or worse ride quality or something else ?
Old 09-25-22, 01:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Only the front wheels use double wishbones so that they can steer 40 degrees etc.
Because the rear wheels don't really steer, yet they transmit the bulk of the torque, they must be fixed more rigidly with multi-links.

It's not really the double wishbones nor the multi-links that are important in suspension linkages.
What is really important about the suspension is the use of unequal length upper and lower arms, versus using simple cheap lower arms only combined with a strut to hold the wheels.
Unequal length upper and lower arms allow the wheels and tires to remain perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip.
On the other hand, cheap single lower links with MacPherson struts like the ES results in a parallel vertical movement, thus as the vehicle leans, the wheels and tires also lean rapidly diminishing grip.

Some of the BMW 4 Series and M3's use cheap simple front lower single link MacPherson struts on the proviso that very "firm" springs are used to limit roll in the first place.
On the otherhand, the regular softer riding 3 Series use double wishbones via unequal length upper and lower control arms.

Old 09-25-22, 01:42 PM
bladest
Instructor

First generation Lexus i know from sure from wikipedia
that it used Front and rear double wishbone suspention, its rear wheel drive as well.. i dont know if its same for 2nd and 3rd generation...

Also does lexus LS is also using multi link rear suspention on latest generation and previous one or they are with dousble wishbone + air ?
Old 09-25-22, 02:46 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Just as the 1982 Mercedes 190 Series debut with front MacPherson struts and rear multi-link suspension, the 1986 Toyota Supra coupe and its 1988 Toyota Cressida sedan twin, and the 1989 LS full size sedan together with the 1991 GS midsize sedan - all did one better and used the same basic front double wishbone and rear multi-link design.
Don't worry about the terminology.
The front can't use multi-links because the front wheels must steer some 40 degrees.
Old 09-25-22, 02:51 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Just as the 1982 Mercedes 190 Series debut with front MacPherson struts and rear multi-link suspension, the 1986 Toyota Supra coupe and its 1988 Toyota Cressida sedan twin, and the 1989 LS full size sedan together with the 1991 GS midsize sedan - all did one better and used the same basic front double wishbone and rear multi-link design.
Don't worry about the terminology.
The front can't use multi-links because the front wheels must steer some 40 degrees.
according to wikipedia gs 1st generation is front and rear with double wish bone suspention
, also honda accord , aston martin some models etcs...

is

it true for that model year ?
is their suspention more reliable and less service required compared to gs 4th gen i wonder?
Old 09-25-22, 03:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bladest
according to wikipedia gs 1st generation is front and rear with double wish bone suspention
, also honda accord , aston martin some models etcs...

is

it true for that model year ?
is their suspention more reliable and less service required compared to gs 4th gen i wonder?
Ignore typo.
Caused by poor knowledge, hence incorrect terminology.
Most rear suspensions will have a trailing arm of some sorts, hence multi-link.

Below is Honda Accord rear multi-link.
The most important upper short linkages for camber.
Two lower transverse linkages.
One lower semi-trailing arm.

A double wishbone is just an upper and lower 3-point A-shaped arm; two on the chassis, and one mounting point on the hub.
Don’t worry about details.
Focus on unequal length upper and lower arms - ES does not have front upper arm to minimise costs.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-25-22 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-25-22, 03:44 PM
bladest
Instructor

Ignore typo.
Caused by poor knowledge, hence incorrect terminology.
Most rear suspensions will have a trailing arm of some sorts, hence multi-link.
So even the 1st generation lexus gs is multi link on rear suspention?

European honda accord 5th generation rear suspention is with double wishbone but i cant find pictures from i-net...
https://www.encycarpedia.com/rover/93-600

here is some information about it
It has double wishbone suspension front and rear.

NEWER honda accords lost double wishbone suspention unfortunately because its pricey.

Last edited by bladest; 09-25-22 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-25-22, 03:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

So even the 1st generation lexus gs is multi link on rear suspention?

European honda accord 5th generation rear suspention is with double wishbone but i cant find pictures from i-net...
https://www.encycarpedia.com/rover/93-600

here is some information about it
It has double wishbone suspension front and rear.

NEWER honda accords lost double wishbone suspention unfortunately because its pricey.
1986 Supra/1988 Cressida, 1989 LS & 1991 1GS - all rear multi-links; don’t worry about terminology.

My pic above is very old 2005 Accord rear multi-link.

Accords lost “front” double wishbones to reduce costs.

Accords still have rear multi link, because loss of rear end grip results in dangerous fish tailing oversteer.
Loss of front grip from single lower arm MacPherson struts only results in safe understeer.
Old 09-25-22, 03:57 PM
bladest
Instructor

My pic above is very old 2005 Accord rear multi-link.

Accords lost “front” double wishbones to reduce costs.

Accords still have rear multi link, because loss of rear end grip results in dangerous fish tailing oversteer.
Loss of front grip from single lower arm MacPherson struts only results in safe understeer.
i am talking about european accors
5th generation from year 1993 untill 1998
newer accords lost them unfortunately , i cant find pictures..... to show...

i am pretty sure accord 5th generation and rover 600 have rear double wishbone suspention only for europe from 1993 untill 1998 i had 2 of these.

Old 09-25-22, 04:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

i am talking about european accors
5th generation from year 1993 untill 1998
newer accords lost them unfortunately , i cant find pictures..... to show...

i am pretty sure accord 5th generation and rover 600 have rear double wishbone suspention only for europe from 1993 untill 1998 i had 2 of these.
Yes, Accords from 1985 to 1997 inclusive had front double wishbones and rear multi-link, though some incorrectly called the rear a double wishbone, but don’t go hard on terminology, because RAV4 & Highlander are not really SUV’s, because an SUV is a body on frame chassis like Landcruiser.
Don’t be too picky on nomenclature.

Accord front double wishbones.

Accord rear double wishbones/multi-link.
Notice the rear transverse arms and the longitudinal trailing arm?

Old 09-25-22, 04:11 PM
bladest
Instructor

Yes, Accords from 1985 to 1997 inclusive had front double wishbones and rear multi-link, though some incorrectly called the rear a double wishbone, but don’t go hard on terminology, because a RAV4 is not really an SUV, because an SUV is a body on frame chassis like Landcruiser.
Don’t be too picky on nomenclature.

Accord front double wishbones.

Accord rear double wishbones/multi-link.
Notice the rear transverse arms and the longitudinal trailing arm?

okey in regards of reliability and servicing, are these accords from 1985 till 1997 rear wishbone/multilink suspention more reliable compared to lexus gs 4th generation?
In the past cars was made from designers not accountants and everything was made from metal and less plastic even headlights are made from glass instead of plastics etcs?

whats the difference , between these old multi links/wishbones vs lexus gs 4th generation rear suspention ?
Old 09-25-22, 04:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The suspension arms hold the hub.

The suspension also needs a deformable media like coil springs, or hydraulic, or air springs, or hydropneumatic springs.
Air suspension replaces conventional coil springs.
Old 09-25-22, 04:17 PM
bladest
Instructor

The suspension arms hold the hub.

The suspension also needs a deformable media like coil springs, or hydraulic, or air springs, or hydropneumatic springs.
Air suspension replaces conventional coil springs.
So even s-class and air suspention cars still have either torsion beam bar, or multi link suspention parts?

Quick Reply: Gs 4th generation is rear multilink suspention better than double wishbone?