New Intro and advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 01:17 PM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Intro and advice on purchase

Hey all,

New here. Basically I have a '16 Tundra TRD pro, a 96 Tacoma and a '16 explorer. Out of all of those the most comfortable is the Explorer, but it isn't mine (womp) its my wife's. I will be getting rid of the tundra here shortly because I live in California and it hurts. I'm also looking for comfort and torque which is how I ended up looking at a GS.

Anyway, I'm looking to purchase a GS 350 (preferably F Sport, but not required) and I have a loan pre-approval from my CU. I don't want to pay over 30k including taxes/fees/reg (which is about $3600. Is that even possible?

These are some of the options I've been looking at, none of them are concrete and I'm totally fine buying a Kia optima if push comes to shove, but I _really_ want a GS.

Since you guys are experienced owners I would love your input on these choices and their asking price:Everything else is out of my price range for now, obviously they may come down as the end of the year approaches.

Hope its cool to post asking for this if not feel free to roast me.
Old 11-04-21, 01:22 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 229 Posts

With the current used car market I don’t think you will be able to touch any of those with your budget. Doesn’t hurt to try though. Good luck with your hunt
Old 11-04-21, 02:06 PM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
With the current used car market I don’t think you will be able to touch any of those with your budget. Doesn’t hurt to try though. Good luck with your hunt
Makes sense, I just wonder if taking the market under consideration these are good buys.
Old 11-04-21, 02:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Huh? Many GS's you can negotiate and buy for $30k incld Tax and Fee's Just go to the car sale search sites, Autotrader, car.com, Cargurus and a few more.

BTW: If you don't get one, go drive a Optima SX or SXL Turbo. We just got our 2nd one. Very nice car. Its not a Lexus GS, but it not a downgrade either. Funny how ppl still think Kia is the Old Kia from way back. It's not. The 2020 Optima SX we just got replaced our 2015 SXL. The 2020 has Dual pane Acoustic class, Radar cruise, LKA, Apple car play with Touchscreen Navi, wireless charger, Dual Pano Roof. Rear heated Seats, and more. I would have no problem driving our Optima everyday if I didn't have the GS.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

Last edited by jgscott; 11-04-21 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 02:40 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by nrml1
Hey all,
New here. Basically I have a '16 Tundra TRD pro, a 96 Tacoma and a '16 explorer. Out of all of those the most comfortable is the Explorer, but it isn't mine (womp) its my wife's. I will be getting rid of the tundra here shortly because I live in California and it hurts. I'm also looking for comfort and torque which is how I ended up looking at a GS.
Anyway, I'm looking to purchase a GS 350 (preferably F Sport, but not required) and I have a loan pre-approval from my CU. I don't want to pay over 30k including taxes/fees/reg (which is about $3600. Is that even possible?
These are some of the options I've been looking at, none of them are concrete and I'm totally fine buying a Kia optima if push comes to shove, but I _really_ want a GS.
Since you guys are experienced owners I would love your input on these choices and their asking price:Everything else is out of my price range for now, obviously they may come down as the end of the year approaches.
Hope its cool to post asking for this if not feel free to roast me.
Welcome - of the three you posted, the second one is the nicest with the F-Sport pkg and triple beam headlights (very hard to find those triple beam LEDs on a RWD F-Sport for some reason). However, carfax shows a minor accident. Its also the best priced of the bunch considering its mileage and options. Keep in mind the GS was refreshed in 2016 and you'll pay more obviously for 2016+.

If you're open to suggestions, here are a few closer to your budget:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6...-bca365a59f74/
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/JTHCZ1BL1GA000348
https://www.carmax.com/car/20027349

If you really want to pay ~$30k, your best bet is the buy a pre-refresh version (2013-2015):
https://www.carmax.com/car/21238339 (crafted line F Sport limited edition)
https://www.carmax.com/car/21079987 (luxury pkg w/better seats, upgraded levinson sound system, nicer wood trim)

As you know, with the chip shortage the value of used cars has gone up substantially in the last year and that shortage looks like it will be continuing for the next few months. I don't think prices will fall much as we approach December but anything is possible. Everyone is paying a premium price for used cars.

Even if you end up with a non F sport version, you can always swap a few things here and there to get it looking sportier or more aggressive (lots of members have done this). Be sure to test drive them as the pre-refresh cars tend to be a bit more sporty comparatively. Good luck and hope you join the GS family!

Last edited by AJLex19; 11-04-21 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 02:55 PM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Welcome - of the three you posted, the second one is the nicest with the F-Sport pkg and triple beam headlights (very hard to find those triple beam LEDs on a RWD F-Sport for some reason). However, carfax shows a minor accident. Its also the best priced of the bunch considering its mileage and options. Keep in mind the GS was refreshed in 2016 and you'll pay more obviously for 2016+.

If you're open to suggestions, here are a few closer to your budget:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6...-bca365a59f74/
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/JTHCZ1BL1GA000348
https://www.carmax.com/car/20027349

If you really want to pay ~$30k, your best bet is the buy a pre-refresh version (2013-2015):
https://www.carmax.com/car/21238339 (crafted line F Sport limited edition)
https://www.carmax.com/car/21079987 (luxury pkg w/better seats, upgraded levinson sound system, nicer wood trim)

As you know, with the chip shortage the value of used cars has gone up substantially in the last year and that shortage looks like it will be continuing for the next few months. I don't think prices will fall much as we approach December but anything is possible. Everyone is paying a premium price for used cars.

Even if you end up with a non F sport version, you can always swap a few things here and there to get it looking sportier or more aggressive (lots of members have done this). Be sure to test drive them as the pre-refresh cars tend to be a bit more sporty comparatively. Good luck and hope you join the GS family!
oh wow thanks that was super helpful, there are some really clean options in there that I didn't consider mainly because I've never owned a Lexus. I'll take what you said about the non F sport under consideration
and yeah the chip shortage is why I'm selling my Tundra now, but you know I have to do my due diligence
Old 11-04-21, 02:57 PM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott

BTW: If you don't get one, go drive a Optima SX or SXL Turbo. We just got our 2nd one. Very nice car. Its not a Lexus GS, but it not a downgrade either. Funny how ppl still think Kia is the Old Kia from way back. It's not. The 2020 Optima SX we just got replaced our 2015 SXL. The 2020 has Dual pane Acoustic class, Radar cruise, LKA, Apple car play with Touchscreen Navi, wireless charger, Dual Pano Roof. Rear heated Seats, and more. I would have no problem driving our Optima everyday if I didn't have the GS.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
Yeah I definitely don't sleep on Kias, they're my second option then a camry xse
thanks for the intsight that's helpful
Old 11-04-21, 02:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Sometimes a minor accident on a carfax is not really a big deal. A friend of mine backed out of the hill driveway on ice, the car slid sideways at 3mph hit the bricked foundation mailbox clipped the front and it was 9.5k in damage, front bumper, fog and headlights. lol!
Old 11-04-21, 02:59 PM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Sometimes a minor accident on a carfax is not really a big deal. A friend of mine backed out of the hill driveway on ice, the car slid sideways at 3mph hit the bricked foundation mailbox clipped the front and it was 9.5k in damage, front bumper, fog and headlights. lol!
true, depends on context too because an off road truck is expected to have minor scratches and stuff from scraping branches. The problem with that second link I posted its from shift and they don't negotiate which is probably why the car has sat on the lot for like 2 months
Old 11-04-21, 05:56 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

not the tundra
California gas prices are high. Those GS's you might not get anywhere near 30k, but you could get them to come down on their prices, but not that low. Used car market is on fire right now.
Old 11-04-21, 08:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yeah I definitely don't sleep on Kias, they're my second option then a camry xse
thanks for the intsight that's helpful
Our 2015 Optima got hit and totaled. We rented a Camry XSE while waiting on the 2020 Optima SX. I was quite surprised that the Optima SX was just a better riding and diving car than the Camay.

If you want a GS just take your time and look. Its just about being in the right place at the right time. When you find a GS you think is definitely the right one, you want buy it quick! In this market they don't last long. I don't think the car price market is going back down anytime soon. I always take my time and effort into looking each day or two. New car listings get posted of for sale on sites everyday. Doing this I always get exactly what I want and don't settle. Also it always seems that the 1st car or sometime 2 that I was going to get, I don't end up getting am am later glad I did not because I find one better with more equipment lower miles better condition and the exact options and color I want.

Patience is the key. I just heard this week that it will get even worst with car prices and lack of inventory. We didn't buy a 2021 Optima because it had a Family car interior orientation. Plus they wanted like $5k over sticker for the the Top of the line one we wanted and I was considering Leasing it. We got the 2020 Optima SX with only 9k miles at like $6k less than the market price other Dealers were listing. So we jumped all over it. Good Luck!
Old 11-05-21, 09:40 AM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Our 2015 Optima got hit and totaled. We rented a Camry XSE while waiting on the 2020 Optima SX. I was quite surprised that the Optima SX was just a better riding and diving car than the Camay.

If you want a GS just take your time and look. Its just about being in the right place at the right time. When you find a GS you think is definitely the right one, you want buy it quick! In this market they don't last long. I don't think the car price market is going back down anytime soon. I always take my time and effort into looking each day or two. New car listings get posted of for sale on sites everyday. Doing this I always get exactly what I want and don't settle. Also it always seems that the 1st car or sometime 2 that I was going to get, I don't end up getting am am later glad I did not because I find one better with more equipment lower miles better condition and the exact options and color I want.

Patience is the key. I just heard this week that it will get even worst with car prices and lack of inventory. We didn't buy a 2021 Optima because it had a Family car interior orientation. Plus they wanted like $5k over sticker for the the Top of the line one we wanted and I was considering Leasing it. We got the 2020 Optima SX with only 9k miles at like $6k less than the market price other Dealers were listing. So we jumped all over it. Good Luck!
I think you're right. I initially wanted to Lease so I could get a feel for the Lexus family, but those don't seem to exist either. I also can't find any Kias or Camry (I'm in SoCal) so that makes it even more frustrating.
You're right, I'm going to take my time, I've already reached out to some sellers and have gotten the old [advertised number vs sale price] switch-aroo where they advertise the lower price and then try and tack on options I didn't even ask for lol
To be honest I will be shocked if I don't hear from them if the car isn't fold by EOM because a lot of these have been stubbornly sitting on their lot since the beginning of summer.
Old 11-05-21, 11:05 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

I think you're right. I initially wanted to Lease so I could get a feel for the Lexus family, but those don't seem to exist either. I also can't find any Kias or Camry (I'm in SoCal) so that makes it even more frustrating.
You're right, I'm going to take my time, I've already reached out to some sellers and have gotten the old [advertised number vs sale price] switch-aroo where they advertise the lower price and then try and tack on options I didn't even ask for lol
To be honest I will be shocked if I don't hear from them if the car isn't fold by EOM because a lot of these have been stubbornly sitting on their lot since the beginning of summer.
@nrml1 its not advertised often, but dealers will lease-out certified pre-owned cars well. Typically, a CPO lease price will be lower and you are covered by that warranty as well. It was some time ago back in 2015, but I did get lease quotes for 2013 GS's. I actually I found the email with the details you can see below.

Prices likely won't be that good today but its just to give you an idea that they can lease a CPO car since the GS is no longer in production:

Old 11-05-21, 11:25 AM
nrml1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@nrml1 its not advertised often, but dealers will lease-out certified pre-owned cars well. Typically, a CPO lease price will be lower and you are covered by that warranty as well. It was some time ago back in 2015, but I did get lease quotes for 2013 GS's. I actually I found the email with the details you can see below.

Prices likely won't be that good today but its just to give you an idea that they can lease a CPO car since the GS is no longer in production:

oh cool, thanks AJ. Ultimately the goal as a family is to have an electric truck (my wife loves trucks) and for me to have a luxury car, but thats 3-5 year goals. I'll do some research on CPO leases.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-21, 04:04 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

$399 a month for leasing a used car? Yikes! That's $16,239 over 36 months with nothing to show for it at the end and that's not including "taxes and fees" which are prob at least another $1,500.

I paid $27,590 ($29,509.94 total loan including sales tax and registration) for a 2013 GS350 AWD with only 34,600 miles and my payment is $486.36 for 66 months at 2.95% interest. I would not hesitate to buy one with up to even 100K miles provided it had been serviced regularly.

The GS is a great car, super comfortable, buttery smooth, great engine sound, good power/pretty fast and top notch interior materials, but the infotainment even after the 2016 refresh is very dated. To update the infotainment with Apple Carplay or Android Auto cost me $700 for the GROM VL2 unit. I love my car and actually look forward to driving it but they are gas hogs and only take premium gas so if you have a long commute you need to factor that in.

If the latest safety tech and infotainment stuff is very important to you than the GS may not be for you. My 2013 has parking sensors, blind spot monitor and even dynamic radar cruise control and a primitive driver attention monitor/pre-collision system that beeps and flashes a light at you if it thinks you are going to rear end someone and I think it applies the brakes at full force if you hit the brakes but won't brake completely on it's own.

Also the difference in dealer experience between a Lexus dealer and a Kia dealer is like being on two different planets. I have not heard good things about Kia dealerships, but then again you definitely pay extra at the Lexus dealer. My 30K service cost $586 (probably cost half that much for a Kia 30K service) but at least I got to drive a 2021 IS350 during the four hours it was at the dealer. No way a Kia dealer is giving you a nice loaner (or any loaner) like that during a 30K service.

Last edited by jeverett72; 11-05-21 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: New Intro and advice on purchase