GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HELP! Codes after Spark Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 08:09 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I think a good starting point would be to get a laser thermometer (Walmart for $20...i was surprised), start the engine in the morning when its cold and give it 10 min to warm up to operating temperature. Start checking the exhaust header cylinder by cylinder to check if temps are within 5-10% of each other. Not enough fuel it would be hotter and too much would be cooler, that would be a injector issue. If all are in range of each other the next step would be to check coils and their resistance or ohms.... Easier way to check the coils is to buy new ones 😜. Unlikely the PCV would effect just 1 cylinder but its cheap and easy to swap out so just do it for peace of mind and can eliminate that. Im not sure if he said anything about noticing any driveability issues, but that would give a good idea to what direction to look going forward. Additionally, getting a cheap bore scope off amazon for about $30-$40 would be great for sticking down through the spark plug hole to check the top of the piston and valves for anomaly's.
The following users liked this post:
Neophyte2b (10-08-21)
Old 10-08-21, 05:08 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJ350
Are you running 93octane or the highest you have available? Do you use any fuel additives?
Yes, I'm running on 93 octane, and also use a fuel injection cleaner at every oil change.
Old 10-08-21, 05:14 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

After looking at the base of the plug where the threads are above your fingers, is that wetness? Did you spray WD-40 in the spark plug hole before trying to remove? Or by any chance was the plug very easy to remove? Have you ever replaced your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation)? Do you ever notice sluggish acceleration? Lots of questions but you got me Wondering whats going on.. 😃
1) It was a little damp around the "coils" of the plug.
2) No WD40 was used.
3) It a little bit of elbow grease, but the plugs came out fine.
4) I've never changed out the PCV.
5) I don't think that the car accelerates as quickly as it did when I first purchased the car at 34K miles. It's now at 60k. However, I wouldn't say that the acceleration is sluggish.

What are you thinking is going on with each of the questions?
Old 10-08-21, 05:15 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Standard question everyone never ask. What year and Mileage? Also..... what do the other plugs look like?
MY 2013.
The other plugs look dry, not crusty, just a little discolored.
Old 10-08-21, 05:26 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

I think a good starting point would be to get a laser thermometer (Walmart for $20...i was surprised), start the engine in the morning when its cold and give it 10 min to warm up to operating temperature. Start checking the exhaust header cylinder by cylinder to check if temps are within 5-10% of each other. Not enough fuel it would be hotter and too much would be cooler, that would be a injector issue. If all are in range of each other the next step would be to check coils and their resistance or ohms.... Easier way to check the coils is to buy new ones 😜. Unlikely the PCV would effect just 1 cylinder but its cheap and easy to swap out so just do it for peace of mind and can eliminate that. Im not sure if he said anything about noticing any driveability issues, but that would give a good idea to what direction to look going forward. Additionally, getting a cheap bore scope off amazon for about $30-$40 would be great for sticking down through the spark plug hole to check the top of the piston and valves for anomaly's.
1) What would I need to do if the cylinder temps are not within 5-10%?
2) How does a bore scope work, and what would I be looking for?
3) Do you happen to know the part number for the OEM PCV?
4) No driving issues other than occasionally at idle the car "hiccups".
Old 10-08-21, 06:52 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
1) What would I need to do if the cylinder temps are not within 5-10%?
2) How does a bore scope work, and what would I be looking for?
3) Do you happen to know the part number for the OEM PCV?
4) No driving issues other than occasionally at idle the car "hiccups".
1) The temp difference will tell you one is not burning as well as the rest if it is cooler. Likely an injector problem or compression issue.
2) A bore scope allows you to insert a small camera into the cylinder to see if anything out of the ordinary is visible, a burnt valve, scored piston wall or excessive carbon build-up on the head.

Old 10-08-21, 06:56 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 537 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
Yes, I'm running on 93 octane, and also use a fuel injection cleaner at every oil change.
I've never used injection cleaner and always bought quality fuel and never had an issue. You're wasting your $$.
Old 10-08-21, 07:04 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by charley95
I've never used injection cleaner and always bought quality fuel and never had an issue. You're wasting your $$.
Basically, 10% ethanol in gas is a pretty good injector cleaner as well as water absorber. It isn't as powerful a fuel but it improves cleaning and cools combustion to avoid ping/knock.
Old 10-08-21, 07:45 AM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

So after reading your replies to the abundance of questions i asked, i would continue to drive the car as you would normally and to make sure to use "Top Tier" gas if possible. In 3-5k pull that same plug again and re-inspect, if it looks like the others it could have just been an anomaly with that plug. But if not i would swap out that coil with another one and continue to drive to see if the plug condition follows the coil. Or just replace the coil with a good quality one, i was suspecting the coil at first before the line of questioning but after your reply and your comment of a slight shake/stutter at idle it really makes me think its a spark issue. Hope this helps and check back in after a few thousand miles have passed👍🏻
Neophyte2b (10-08-21)
Old 10-08-21, 08:42 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

If it were a coil or a misfire condition, I would think the code it throws would indicate that long before you changed plugs. The codes you have indicate lean condition (no fuel somewhere in bank 2?) and open circuit which might be a loose/broken wire if you removed the harness anywhere while changing the plugs. I would concentrate on bank 2 and check the coil, wiring harness and injector plug at that suspect plug.
Neophyte2b (10-08-21)
Old 10-08-21, 09:38 AM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Im researching this plug and finding multiple issues that could be happening. Detonation because of the tiny specks all around.. oil in the cylinder from the wetish portion at the bottom of the plug and threads... Overheating since the ground electrode is light colored... Weak spark creating fuel/carbon deposits... I could keep going. I think using the laser thermometer to check the cylinder temp will narrow down possibilities so we can pin point the issue. If detonation is occurring then quick action needs to take place because it is damaging your engine.
Neophyte2b (10-08-21)
Old 10-08-21, 09:42 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
You would need to pull and look down in the intake valves to tell if you had a problem. I know someone here with a GS who actually did. It was a problem. May not have been a problem to you, but it was to them and would have been to me too. A decrease of 25% = flow in the head is a problem to me. But you would not know unless you checked. Have you?
Old 10-08-21, 11:00 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
You would need to pull and look down in the intake valves to tell if you had a problem. I know someone here with a GS who actually did. It was a problem. May not have been a problem to you, but it was to them and would have been to me too. A decrease of 25% = flow in the head is a problem to me. But you would not know unless you checked. Have you?
How would you check?
Old 10-08-21, 11:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
If it were a coil or a misfire condition, I would think the code it throws would indicate that [problem] long before you changed plugs.
Correct! I suspect the circumstance that caused that spark plug's condition took place a significant period of time before the plug was ever removed, which would have almost certainly thrown codes before he starting pulling the plugs.

I'm afraid some of the advice being given has spilled over into areas that are highly unlikely (valves, oil leaking into cylinder, etc.) To check this (pulling intake, buying micro camera, etc. would create extensive and expensive, unnecessary work to confirm or refute.

I think the cause of that one spark plug's condition lies in either the fuel injector or coil for that cylinder, or a sensor.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-08-21 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-08-21, 01:03 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Correct! I suspect the circumstance that caused that spark plug's condition took place a significant period of time before the plug was ever removed, which would have almost certainly thrown codes before he starting pulling the plugs.

I'm afraid some of the advice has spilled over into areas that are highly unlikely (valves, oil leaking into cylinder, etc.) To check this would create extensive and unnecessary work to confirm or refute.

I think the cause of that one spark plug's condition lies in either the fuel injector or coil for that cylinder, or a sensor.
1) How would I check to see if it's the fuel injector?
2) How would I check to see if it's the coil?
3) If it's a sensor, wouldn't the car have thrown a code?

Quick Reply: HELP! Codes after Spark Plug Change