GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY battery replacement on 4th Gen. Lexus GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 02:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,012 Posts

I just disconnected my battery yesterday. I only disconnected the positive cable. Left it for 30 mins or more. Went back reconnected, started the car let it run for 3 mins before driving it. Everything was fine. Have disconnected it about 8 times from when I 1st had the car. Never had a problem before.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (02-08-23)
Old 02-06-23, 02:34 PM
Npatel1050
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local stealer wants $300. Considering some of the horror stories I don't trust my local Walmart with this job. I'd also be willing to give this to my trusty Indy, but $120 for the battery plus labor, not saving much. And we still run the risk of secondary issues which I can't afford right now. I need the car running this week.

Thanks for the help guys. Going with the dealer...

Last edited by Npatel1050; 02-06-23 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 04:44 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Npatel1050
Local stealer wants $300. Considering some of the horror stories I don't trust my local Walmart with this job. I'd also be willing to give this to my trusty Indy, but $120 for the battery plus labor, not saving much. And we still run the risk of secondary issues which I can't afford right now. I need the car running this week.

Thanks for the help guys. Going with the dealer...
@Npatel1050 see if your local dealer's service manager will match any other offers from other NJ Lexus dealers:

See if they'll match a $25 off battery install: https://www.prestigelexus.com/servicespecials.html
The following users liked this post:
Npatel1050 (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 05:10 PM
Npatel1050
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@Npatel1050 see if your local dealer's service manager will match any other offers from other NJ Lexus dealers:

See if they'll match a $25 off battery install: https://www.prestigelexus.com/servicespecials.html
Thank you, i will do that. I'll see if I can get them to match parts price too. I believe there's one that has a battery for $120.
Going to Lexus of Edison, NJ in case anyone was wondering
Old 02-08-23, 08:33 AM
Npatel1050
Driver School Candidate

On the way home from the dealer my wife gets a message on the dash, hood is open. Pulls over, presses it shut and comes home, thinks nothing of it. Took the car out again the next day and hood is open. Pressed it shut but the hood release no longer works.
Lol did all this to avoid issues and it looks like we have a broken hood latch/cable. There's a strong chance dealer broke it (maybe unknowingly), let's see if they own up to it.

Is the hood latch/release cable a known issue on these cars?
Old 02-08-23, 08:39 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

"Is the hood latch/release cable a known issue on these cars?"

No, first time I've read anything here about that.

Old 02-08-23, 09:05 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

On the way home from the dealer my wife gets a message on the dash, hood is open. Pulls over, presses it shut and comes home, thinks nothing of it. Took the car out again the next day and hood is open. Pressed it shut but the hood release no longer works.
Lol did all this to avoid issues and it looks like we have a broken hood latch/cable. There's a strong chance dealer broke it (maybe unknowingly), let's see if they own up to it.

That's not a known/common issue as far as I know. I agree with you: seems the dealer may have broke it without realizing while changing your battery, but its odd because they would have needed to button everything up, run some checks and close the hood. That means if they broke it, the technician nor the service rep noticed a "Hood Open" message in the dash.

Unless the hood intermittently opens/closes and sensor doesn't trigger the message on the dash all the time. Definitely take it back and see what they say...
Old 02-08-23, 09:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts

I'm unaware of ever hearing that a Lexus hood unintentionally unlatches while it is being driven. Has the car received any frontend damage? Could the hood latch have been mistakenly pulled?

I'm really surprised the hood could even become unlatched with the way it is designed, much less becoming unlatched again after re-latching it. You say the hood was pressed shut but the hood release no longer works.

In your inspection of the hood latch mechanism what appeared to be the problem with it - the cable damaged or disconnected, the spring broken, or something foreign wedged in the mechanism that prevents proper latching?

What is your Lexus dealer saying?
Old 02-08-23, 09:26 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,012 Posts

If was me, I would try pushing and pulling the release handle a few times back and fourth to see if maybe it's just stuck some. I would do it with the hood up 1st. Sometimes those cables do get sticky. Spray some lube on the spring and mech under the hood.

I would also have someone else sit in the car and pull the handle back and fourth while I watched the latch under the hood to see what it's doing. I like to see what things could be doing before I just give it to a shop to trust them telling me the story. Be careful of the hood being unlocked coming up also!!!
Old 02-09-23, 04:38 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Are you sure that is the correct battery?
(their website calls for series 24, but it is not correct....should be 34)

I recently installed my 2nd Diehard Gold battery series 34 and it fit perfectly in the tray.
This battery also had better specs.

Maybe try this one to see if it helps. They will happily exchange for you and think its only $20 more.

That's interesting. Everywhere I checked, I was recommended a Group 24 battery. Though, it seems like they are both almost about the same size, except that Group 24 is an inch taller than Group 34.

Old 12-25-23, 10:45 PM
thelilman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery replacement

I recently got my battery replaced. The way they did it was they had me turn on the car as they disconnected and inserted the new battery. Is that another way to just do the battery replacement?
Old 05-07-24, 02:14 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, mine has had the hood latch issue for a few years now. not broken, but the actual latch gets gummed/rusted up and i need to take it apart and oil it up. the springs may get weak too.
Old 05-07-24, 02:15 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm unaware of ever hearing that a Lexus hood unintentionally unlatches while it is being driven. Has the car received any frontend damage? Could the hood latch have been mistakenly pulled?

I'm really surprised the hood could even become unlatched with the way it is designed, much less becoming unlatched again after re-latching it. You say the hood was pressed shut but the hood release no longer works.

In your inspection of the hood latch mechanism what appeared to be the problem with it - the cable damaged or disconnected, the spring broken, or something foreign wedged in the mechanism that prevents proper latching?

What is your Lexus dealer saying?
You live in Texas. these are northerner problems . (like how the insides of the brake rotors rust...argh)
Old 05-07-24, 08:47 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Pretty easy to remove once you know what to do

Last edited by Measured; 05-08-24 at 02:06 PM.