DIY battery replacement on 4th Gen. Lexus GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 08:48 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
How much does an OEM Battery cost?
@996toomey the OEM GS350 battery is around $130 - $150. Helpful thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10715104
Old 12-28-22, 09:29 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great information!!!
This took me almost a whole hour as that hood strut is in the way and the positive terminal is connected the the battery cage that I could never get off so I just ripped the cage out and placed it back in, in anger, luckily no damages but I wish I research this before changing my battery as now my car acting a bit weird afterwards.

I changed my battery back in Jan. 2017 with an oem Lexus battery (relabeled interstate battery @ $140) which lasted til Nov. 2022 solid almost 6 years.

Replaced with a die hard SILVER battery I got for $105 and then -$22 for the core exchanged at my workplace but

now my car kinda lags when I hit the gas…
I wish I know about the start up procedure…now what I think happened is I re-oiled my K&N filter and may have oiled it too much but I’m reading that folks here had issues with the MAF etc… will clean that up and see if it improves

Last edited by woowoo; 12-28-22 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-28-22, 11:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,430 Posts

You're probably on the correct path with the MAF. It might be from too much oil on the filter or it could just need cleaning because the ECU reset due to the battery being replaced which is a common event and often causes rough or erratic engine performance until the MAF and intake is cleaned. Be glad the e-parking brake, navigation system, radio head unit, amplifier, HVAC, etc. didn't fail or lockup due to changing the battery. Lots of people have experienced this and needed the car towed-in to the dealership and paid dialysis charges. They wish they had just let Lexus replace the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
jkeller (12-28-22), woowoo (12-28-22)
Old 12-28-22, 11:41 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You're probably on the correct path with the MAF. It might be from too much oil on the filter or it could just need cleaning because the ECU reset due to the battery being replaced which is a common event and often causes rough or erratic engine performance until the MAF and intake is cleaned. Be glad the e-parking brake, navigation system, radio head unit, amplifier, HVAC, etc. didn't fail or lockup due to changing the battery. Lots of people have experienced this and needed the car towed-in to the dealership and paid dialysis charges. They wish they had just let Lexus replace the battery.
Yes I am so grateful none of that happened and who would’ve known a simple battery replacement in a Lexus Gs350 could lead to so many faulty issues but I get that it’s like unplugging a computer or any electronics for that matter thank you I must tell my brother before he does this!

honestly this should be stickied too
Old 12-28-22, 12:49 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yep, that's why I've let the dealer do it. Plus the cost, $150-200, for an 84 month battery is about the same as most other places.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (12-28-22)
Old 12-29-22, 08:49 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 391 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by woowoo
Great information!!!
This took me almost a whole hour as that hood strut is in the way and the positive terminal is connected the the battery cage that I could never get off so I just ripped the cage out and placed it back in, in anger, luckily no damages but I wish I research this before changing my battery as now my car acting a bit weird afterwards.

I changed my battery back in Jan. 2017 with an oem Lexus battery (relabeled interstate battery @ $140) which lasted til Nov. 2022 solid almost 6 years.

Replaced with a die hard SILVER battery I got for $105 and then -$22 for the core exchanged at my workplace but

now my car kinda lags when I hit the gas…
I wish I know about the start up procedure…now what I think happened is I re-oiled my K&N filter and may have oiled it too much but I’m reading that folks here had issues with the MAF etc… will clean that up and see if it improves

Are you sure that is the correct battery?
(their website calls for series 24, but it is not correct....should be 34)

I recently installed my 2nd Diehard Gold battery series 34 and it fit perfectly in the tray.
This battery also had better specs.

Maybe try this one to see if it helps. They will happily exchange for you and think its only $20 more.

Last edited by PGA71; 12-29-22 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-02-23, 04:47 PM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Went to start my 2014 this morning and it wouldn’t turn over. Without thinking much I picked up the Lexus battery for $140 and installed it in less than an hour using @AJLex19 instructions.

After initialization, I went to start it but it wouldn’t turn over. I jumped it and it fired up as strong as could be and without any issue and everything working just fine. I disconnected the jumpers, drove around the block and then parked it for 10-15min. I tried restarting and same thing, no start.

I’m guessing that I may have jumped to conclusions on the 2018 battery that was originally installed where maybe instead the issue may be the alternator… never tested for a failed alternator before and will likely leave that to the local Indy shop as I’m now beat down over this…

In the meantime, I’ve disconnected the positive and negative battery terminals in hopes to not drain the new battery but who knows, maybe it’s already shot.

Leaving the battery terminals disconnected from the battery is what should be done at this point right?

Just want to make sure that I don’t damage the screen or other components…

Appreciate any insight!
Old 01-03-23, 08:17 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

@claarn agree with you that you may have jumped the gun on the state of your 2018 battery. To confirm before changing it, I went to my local AutoZone to confirm if the battery was a problem. They confirmed it wasn't holding enough of a charge and that's when I decided to change it.

After I changed to the new battery, I parked one day and the car wouldn't start. I jumped it, made some time again to go to AutoZone and had them test the new battery. The diagnostic showed a perfectly healthy battery.

Puzzled, I went home and when opened the hood, I saw that the positive battery cable wasn't making proper contact with the terminal on the battery. It was loose! Maybe I didn't tighten that bolt properly, or maybe it became loose somehow (why not blame NYC crappy roads right?!)...but the fix was easy enough as I tightened the bolt and never had the problem again.

The fix could be something as simple as mine, or as involved as a random parasitic drain (sometimes a bad network ECU - known issue on some 4GS's), aftermarket alarm or dashcam, or as you mentioned, an alternator issue. I think your Indy Mechanic will be able to pinpoint it for you.

Note: I don't think you need to leave the terminals disconnected...personally, even when my car wouldn't start, I would leave the battery connected and jump it if I needed to use the car before getting it fixed. But I understand your concern if the alternator is bad, that it may lead to the new battery to die earlier than expected.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-04-23, 06:05 AM
claarn
Driver

Lo and behold I got lucky. The new Lexus battery that I installed ended up being a dead one. I ended up calling my indy shop first thing in the morning yesterday and they weren't open yet. So I emailed my service advisor at the local Lexus dealer asking how much a new alternator would be. He said that he'd be surprised if it was the alternator or starter this early. He squeezed me in yesterday and they found that the starter and alternator checked out good and that the new battery was indeed dead. They replaced it under warranty. It now starts like a champ on its own again!

Dodged one here but future note to self will be to check before I fire the parts cannon.

One note regarding the cage I found after fussing with it as many have, is to remove the terminals in proper sequence and then pull the cage up to provide much better access to disconnect the clips. Especially the top one.

Again, great write up @AJLex19 with precautions for the screen and servo! Thanks!
AJLex19 (01-04-23)
Old 02-06-23, 07:37 AM
Npatel1050
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving this thread because I'm wondering what would be a reasonable cost labor wise to have the battery replaced. Just trying to figure out what the best deal is.
I'm not handy enough to do it myself.
Walmart has an everstart battery for $150 including install.
Other outfits the battery is around $120 but I have to get installation done on my own.
Old 02-06-23, 07:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Npatel1050
Reviving this thread because I'm wondering what would be a reasonable cost labor wise to have the battery replaced. Just trying to figure out what the best deal is.
I'm not handy enough to do it myself.
Walmart has an everstart battery for $150 including install.
Other outfits the battery is around $120 but I have to get installation done on my own.
Good Lord, man! Just have your local Lexus dealership replace the battery with a Lexus branded battery of the correct physical size and ampere rating that comes with an 84 month warranty (no-charge replacement in first 24 months). If any issues arise from replacing the battery (which is commonplace with DIY and auto shops doing it) the Lexus dealership tech will correct the issue at no additional charge.
Old 02-06-23, 07:56 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by woowoo

If that date sticker is correct, you could have gotten the new Lexus battery at a prorated price.
bclexus (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 08:26 AM
claarn
Driver

Atlanta dealer wanted $250 all in. Lexus battery was $150 so I wanted to save a hundred bucks and do it myself. As you read above, it created more aggravation than the $100 savings was worth. With the risk screen and servo risk + a bit of time involved, I would recommend just having the dealer do it and save yourself any heartache.
bclexus (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 09:50 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 257 Posts

Can't imagine replacing battery on GS being any different than on IS.

Old 02-06-23, 10:23 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
Can't imagine replacing battery on GS being any different than on IS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHXq8TH2KZE
Changing the battery is easy if you wait at least 5 minutes after turning the car off and remove/install the battery terminals in the correct order. I've disconnected my battery several times and replaced it before, with zero issues.

Quick Reply: DIY battery replacement on 4th Gen. Lexus GS 350