Accident in the GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 12:45 AM
Moeutqi
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Accident in the GS

So story time y’all,

April 1st I was sitting at a red light when I got rear ended by this Chevy Tahoe. The whole car jerked to the front (luckily I didn’t hit the car in front of me)

when I got down and checked out the damages it wasn’t bad at all. 😅
Just scratched up bumper and I noticed my trunk isn’t closing right unless you slam it down.

I took his info and called to make the claim.

Progressive said it’s about $1000 in repairs so I took it to their shop to fix. (I’ll upload all the pics under)

The shop took everything apart & noticed all the dents from within the trunk on the passenger side. The bar that’s next to the amplifier got dented in. The bar within the bumper got pushed in a bit and everything on that side of the trunk was dented in some way.

so now I’m with a Corolla waiting on a deadline from the shop and thought I’d show ya

Old 04-29-21, 01:09 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident, very sad about the damage.
Old 04-29-21, 03:33 AM
Lead Lap

Received 761 Likes on 511 Posts

That is some major structural damage. It won't be $1000 to fix. More like $6000. New bumper, new beam, new bracing, body pull, body alignment, body paint.
The following 3 users liked this post by 703:
CAKETOWN (04-29-21), Chaos236 (05-02-21), Im2bz2p345 (04-29-21)
Old 04-29-21, 06:32 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 224 Posts

Looks can be deceiving on the outside. How fast was the Tahoe going? That can't be 5mph if it caused all that damage.
Old 04-29-21, 07:29 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry you have to deal with this. Glad it wasn't worse or you were injured. Exact same thing happened to me last June. Only damage was an impression of the guys license plate into my bumper. It was about $1500 to replace. Insurance company reported to CarFax:-(

Last edited by Cobra611; 05-10-21 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-29-21, 04:52 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad everyone was okay. Probably a good idea to get examined by a doctor, given whiplash occurred and pain may occur later.

Looking at the pictures, the hatch doesn't close flush and there is frame damage also. Great that the front end was not damaged.

My personal experience:
I used to have a newer Honda sedan and got rear ended by a big truck (just 10 months after ownership). I had the whole trunk pan, hatch, bumper had to be replaced in addition to the front bumper, grill and crash bar. The frame was fixed also. Given the highway patrol noted the accident and got all the info, it's on Carfax. If the police were not involved, it may not show up on Carfax unless body shop or someone else notes it. I think the repair was around $15K (paid by other insurance). I had muscle injury and it started showing up many weeks later.
Old 04-29-21, 11:55 PM
Lead Lap

I got rear ended at low speeds in my GS as well. Had to replace the beam but no frame damage. The hatch was pulled in slightly like your photo as well.

The GS has a pretty good rear crumple zone. Good side is that it reduces force for the passengers. Bad news is that it takes a lot to repair just a low speed crash.

Old 04-30-21, 01:35 AM
Moeutqi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
That is some major structural damage. It won't be $1000 to fix. More like $6000. New bumper, new beam, new bracing, body pull, body alignment, body paint.

absolutely right, shop called me and said it’s gonna be about $5200

but the ordering of all the necessary parts and stuff is gonna take forever. the only thing killing me is the carfax it’s gonna be the only accident on there but it’s life.

I just have to wait and waiting isn’t my strongest feature
Old 04-30-21, 01:36 AM
Moeutqi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX73
Looks can be deceiving on the outside. How fast was the Tahoe going? That can't be 5mph if it caused all that damage.
honestly I can’t even tell you. I was just on my phone and next thing I knew my phone ended up in my backseat and all he said was “sorry I was playing with the radio”
Old 04-30-21, 01:40 AM
Moeutqi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cobra611
Sorry you have to deal with this. Glad it wasn't worse or you were injured. Exact same thing happened to me last June. Only damage was an impression of the guys license plate my bumper. It was about $1500 to replace. Insurance company reported to CarFax:-(

oooooof that’s terrible. I’m just dreading knowing there’s gonna be a accident reported on the carfax. But it’s even worse waiting on the shop to get done because I hate driving other cars except for the GS only car I’m truly comfortable in
Old 04-30-21, 05:21 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Moeutqi

but the ordering of all the necessary parts and stuff is gonna take forever. the only thing killing me is the carfax it’s gonna be the only accident on there but it’s life.

it took 3 months for my bumper to come in from Japan. Then another 3 month for the beam to come in as they didn’t take the bumper off to inspect as it was such a minor accident.

so 6 months in total but I was able to drive the car all that time.

do you know if there is in country stock for all the parts needed?
Old 04-30-21, 08:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Have you considered investigating the possibility of trading it in before you get it fixed? The dealer you trade with might estimate the damage at only $2k whereas your insurance pays you $5K (with a couple of estimates). If that can be worked out you might not have to wait for it to be repaired or deal with shoddy repair/paint work as you drive a rental.
Old 04-30-21, 09:45 AM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear. I'm curious on the type of shop progressive recommended to you because I'd be concerned about making sure everything aligns 100% and how the workmanship including paint job is warranted.

I say this because many years ago I got into a front end collision where the impact absorbers needed to be replaced. Everything was great except 100% placement of where the bumper met the fenders and how the hood aligned with the fenders. Most people wouldn't notice as did I in my younger days but several years later after I moved I noticed.. Just something to think about!
Old 04-30-21, 10:17 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

No repair is going to be 100% like factory. Even the best most expensive shops will only get you 95% of the way there. After the repair you will notice something not 100% and always see it, but to the 95% they would never notice. Perfect paint match and blending especially on a 3 stage paint is hard to do. Not to mention the accident report on your carfax and the decreased resale value afterwards.

I went through this mess a couple years ago and had to bring the car back 2 times for them to fix issues with the paint. In my case someone backed into my hood and got away with it, before I had a dash cam. I ended up getting that fixed and changed by bumper to f-sport. The shop under priced the repair and ended up have to paint the fenders twice(messed up the blend), they lost money on it, worked out ok for me in the end. But since I paid out of pocket it was never reported to carfax, but my repair was 100% cosmetic.

My car has 110k+ miles I plan on driving her past 232k over the next 5-8 years

The following users liked this post:
MGs350 (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 10:38 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,005 Posts

oooooof that’s terrible. I’m just dreading knowing there’s gonna be a accident reported on the carfax. But it’s even worse waiting on the shop to get done because I hate driving other cars except for the GS only car I’m truly comfortable in
I would contact the other Insurance company and file a Diminished Value Claim. You need to get someone who Valuates cars, if you don't think you can do it. You just need to figure what your car and others like it were worth before the Damage and CarFax listing. Now with the Repair and Carfax what's it worth? I would claim $8k (IDK?) and go from there. They are responsible for the Value loss of what you car was worth before their fault, and now after. Look up Automobile Insurance Diminished value claim.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...d-value-claim/
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
Chaos236 (05-02-21), Im2bz2p345 (05-01-21)

Quick Reply: Accident in the GS