GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

CKS Coilovers Divorced Rear Suspension Upgraded to True Coilover Explained for 4GS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 04:07 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 273 Likes on 173 Posts
Default CKS Coilovers Divorced Rear Suspension Upgraded to True Coilover Explained for 4GS!

We get a lot of questions here at Mod in Japan about suspension upgrades in handling performance upgrades. One of the more difficult things to explain is what is a divorced spring setup and how does a true coilover upgrade in the rear such as the CKS suspension one improve handling and comfort. To answer the question we thought it was easiest to create a video with some animations to clarify this complicated topic. Hopefully this helps people understand how the suspension Works especially for 4GS models both the RWD and AWD models. if you have any questions or have any other topics that you would like covered just let us know with a comment below.
Old 04-28-21, 01:43 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

They sure do look great! Since most of us are not tracking car and it is a daily driver. Not sure how many would be able to tell the difference, even with the improved linear response of a true coilover vs OEM style. I know the brand appears to have been around for sometime based off forums in other communities, but nobody seems to have any solid information.

My concern is the post sales support with this brand. The social media pages and website don't to be working. Perhaps I have the wrong links. Do you have any more information with CKS?

This is a genuine question not meant to be a jab at the brand.

Facebook Page

https://www.instagram.com/ckssuspension/?hl=en

http://www.ckssuspension.com/

Last edited by Measured; 04-28-21 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 02:21 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Originally Posted by Measured
They sure do look great! Since most of us are not tracking car and it is a daily driver. Not sure how many would be able to tell the difference, even with the improved linear response of a true coilover vs OEM style. I know the brand appears to have been around for sometime based off forums in other communities, but nobody seems to have any solid information.

My concern is the post sales support with this brand. The social media pages and website don't to be working. Perhaps I have the wrong links. Do you have any more information with CKS?

This is a genuine question not meant to be a jab at the brand.

Facebook Page

https://www.instagram.com/ckssuspension/?hl=en

http://www.ckssuspension.com/
First and foremost I do not consider that a jab at the brand at all. You're absolutely right when it comes to after-sales support for a brand as a consumer. It's really important to feel comfortable that there are resources are available to you. Now that being said Mod in Japan is actually the exclusive distributor for Lexus products from CKS, so when it comes to any situation coming from after-sales support across all brands that we carry we are here to help facilitate any issues. That's the perk of buying from an authorized distributor.

We are actually in the middle of helping them develop a new website to handle those kind of communications as well as facilitate sales orders.

Now when it comes to daily drivers and being able to understand that there is a difference I will say that most of the customers that we have, some of which are on clublexus, have given us some incredible feedback letting us know that it was a dramatic improvement over stock. Not only was it considered a performance upgrade but also a comfort upgrade which honestly was a little bit surprising.

Here are a couple threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...coilovers.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ers-brand.html
With feedback from customers and not anecdotal science.

Old 04-28-21, 04:11 PM
Measured
Advanced

Thank you for your carefully written response. I agree that with any aftermarket solution. It will yield a noticeable difference in ride quality and handling, regardless of brand. Right now it still seems like CKS is undergoing a shift in management/structure. As you are partnering with them on rebuilding a communication front, that is awesome and I look forward to what the future holds.

That 2nd link you posted only expands on my concerns and potentially others regarding brand recognition and support. As noted by Neil64.

So, perhaps I can ask you this.

- What is the brand history and are they outsourcing manufacturing?
- Where are they made?
- How long have they been in business?
- Any examples of you can share of ownership beyond a few years?
- Are there any concerns of the stock perches in the rear needing reinforcement? Since they were not originally designed for this level of stress.
- What is the ETA for AWD?

The following users liked this post:
Cardoso (04-28-21)
Old 04-29-21, 12:21 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Thank you for your carefully written response. I agree that with any aftermarket solution. It will yield a noticeable difference in ride quality and handling, regardless of brand. Right now it still seems like CKS is undergoing a shift in management/structure. As you are partnering with them on rebuilding a communication front, that is awesome and I look forward to what the future holds.

That 2nd link you posted only expands on my concerns and potentially others regarding brand recognition and support. As noted by Neil64.

So, perhaps I can ask you this.

- What is the brand history and are they outsourcing manufacturing?
- Where are they made?
- How long have they been in business?
- Any examples of you can share of ownership beyond a few years?
- Are there any concerns of the stock perches in the rear needing reinforcement? Since they were not originally designed for this level of stress.
- What is the ETA for AWD?
  • What is the brand history and are they outsourcing manufacturing?
    • They are absolutely the manufacturer there is no outsourcing on the manufacturing they are the factory. I can't tell you how long they've been in business and making suspension, but I'll make it a point to ask them about their pedigree. What I can comment on is that I have been working directly with them for over 11 years which is why I am quite confident in promoting this brand.
  • Where are they made?
    • They are made in Taiwan.
  • How long have they been in business?
    • Let me ask them for specifics but at least 11 years with me
  • Any examples of you can share of ownership beyond a few years?
    • In terms of ownership there are a very high amount of these coilovers in the wild and predominantly it's BMW owners. I would say only in the last 3 years has CKS put an emphasis in the Lexus market and has really blossomed specifically with the RC F in GS F community. It's by far the highest volume suspension that we sell here for that segment.
  • Are there any concerns of the stock perches in the rear needing reinforcement? Since they were not originally designed for this level of stress.
    • I wouldn't have any concerns about the stock purchase and there we are needing reinforcements as the chassis itself is incredibly robust and as long as you are running an appropriate spring rate for the application you shouldn't have any problems. in fact we have a lot of RC F and GS F owners that actively daily drive and track their cars and under very strenuous loads we've seen no issues whatsoever.
  • What is the ETA for AWD?
    • Still sorting that out there is a backlog of raw materials right now so that's created a bit of a delay.
The following users liked this post:
Measured (04-29-21)
Old 04-29-21, 10:20 PM
Measured
Advanced

That is awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and help alleviate any concerns other may have had. I know Mod in Japan wouldn't take a product it didn't believe in or back, especially within this community. Hopefully the raw materials situation gets sorted, but from what I've seen with emails floating around within the industry, amongst others. It doesn't look like this would be anytime soon.

Old 05-24-21, 07:23 PM
Driveslow
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That is awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and help alleviate any concerns other may have had. I know Mod in Japan wouldn't take a product it didn't believe in or back, especially within this community. Hopefully the raw materials situation gets sorted, but from what I've seen with emails floating around within the industry, amongst others. It doesn't look like this would be anytime soon.

bump!

the ride quality is so good from cks coils my buddy just bought a set

modinjapan has great customer service!