GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What model year is the best for GS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 06:12 AM
rorror45
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What model year is the best for GS 350?

I have been thinking a lot of buying a GS 350, possibly the newer ones for better techs (e.g. blind spot monitoring, parking assist, etc).

But I hear that 2013-2015 models are the best for sportiness, while the latter ones (2016-) are more tilted toward luxuriousness. Is this true?
Old 03-22-21, 07:15 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Lots of factors to consider. My non-fsport '15 has blind spot, park assist (luxury package) and Sport plus. So if that is all the tech you care about it's a non brainer to go for a '15 and save money.

But if I had to do it again, I'd get a '18 at a deal and enjoy adaptive cruise, lane keep, full screen nav, etc... If sportiness is a major concern I have to believe leaving it in Sport+ would suffice, but I'll let others talk about their 16-20's

Last edited by NickMayer; 03-23-21 at 07:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 11:20 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2013 wish it had the adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. Comes in handy when your on a long drive.
Old 03-22-21, 12:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Any year between 2013 and 2020 will do just fine.
The following 8 users liked this post by JDR76:
Bocvos (03-23-21), ECL (03-23-21), Im2bz2p345 (03-22-21), JeffKeryk (03-23-21), kjk944 (03-23-21), NickMayer (03-23-21), Niralsp88 (06-14-21), repugnante (03-24-21) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-21, 01:12 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rorror45
I have been thinking a lot of buying a GS 350, possibly the newer ones for better techs (e.g. blind spot monitoring, parking assist, etc).

But I hear that 2013-2015 models are the best for sportiness, while the latter ones (2016-) are more tilted toward luxuriousness. Is this true?
I have had three different generation 4 GS 350s, so I think I can definitely help you with this...

2016 - advanced features were still an option. You need to find one that has those features.
2017 - all the advanced features are standard, and the prices are notably better than 2018.
2018 - many of them were upgraded to the beautiful 19” ten spoke wheels. Make a huge difference to the overall look of the car, and no compromise to the ride if you use the right all season ultra performance tires instead of stock summer tires.

2017 is probably the best year for overall value, technology, refinement, and features.

If you’re considering an F sport, you need to understand the trade-off. It’s not a high performance sports sedan, but it’s the best value priced sport option in the luxury market. I drove a ‘14 GS F Sport for 3 1/2 years and opted for a ‘17 premium model when I traded it in recently because the ride quality, tire wear, and brake wear were all to much of a price for me to pay any longer. It wasn’t a real sports sedan, and it wasn’t worth getting again. But there are far more of them available for sale. Just be really sure staggered tires and high performance brakes on a “wanna-be” sports sedan that still only has the same horse power really makes sense fir your driving style.

Thr Luxury package would have been my first choice, and I really wish I could have found one this time. But they are hard very to find, and the ones I saw had too many miles, or were the wrong color, or had too much wear and tear for my taste. In two months I only found three for sale in the whole country. None were clean enough.

The 2016-18 premiums have a much more refined driving experience than the 2013-2015, and all the advanced safety and technology features that are sorely lacking in the 2013-2015. Adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, brake hold, and the more advance display and settings make the car feel notably more current. Also, the front end styling on the 2013-2015 is pretty boring to look at.

2016-present gets you the less bland front end design, and if you go with 2018 it’s a lot easier to find ones that were upgraded to the 19” ten spoke wheels versus the disappointing 18” wheels. Mine is below.

The following 5 users liked this post by GS350MIKE:
davidkms (09-19-21), Im2bz2p345 (03-22-21), NickMayer (03-23-21), QLex300 (05-07-22), SammySnit (03-24-21)
Old 03-22-21, 01:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Any year between 2013 and 2020 will do just fine.
I 100% agree. 2013 - 2020. All 4th Gen.
ECL (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 01:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS350MIKE
I have had three different generation 4 GS 350s, so I think I can definitely help you with this...

2016 - advanced features were still an option. You need to find one that has those features.
2017 - all the advanced features are standard, and the prices are notably better than 2018.
2018 - many of them were upgraded to the beautiful 19” ten spoke wheels. Make a huge difference to the overall look of the car, and no compromise to the ride if you use the right all season ultra performance tires instead of stock summer tires.

2017 is probably the best year for overall value, technology, refinement, and features.

If you’re considering an F sport, you need to understand the trade-off. It’s not a high performance sports sedan, but it’s the best value priced sport option in the luxury market. I drove a ‘14 GS F Sport for 3 1/2 years and opted for a ‘17 premium model when I traded it in recently because the ride quality, tire wear, and brake wear were all to much of a price for me to pay any longer. It wasn’t a real sports sedan, and it wasn’t worth getting again. But there are far more of them available for sale. Just be really sure staggered tires and high performance brakes on a “wanna-be” sports sedan that still only has the same horse power really makes sense fir your driving style.

Thr Luxury package would have been my first choice, and I really wish I could have found one this time. But they are hard very to find, and the ones I saw had too many miles, or were the wrong color, or had too much wear and tear for my taste. In two months I only found three for sale in the whole country. None were clean enough.

The 2016-18 premiums have a much more refined driving experience than the 2013-2015, and all the advanced safety and technology features that are sorely lacking in the 2013-2015. Adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, brake hold, and the more advance display and settings make the car feel notably more current. Also, the front end styling on the 2013-2015 is pretty boring to look at.

2016-present gets you the less bland front end design, and if you go with 2018 it’s a lot easier to find ones that were upgraded to the 19” ten spoke wheels versus the disappointing 18” wheels. Mine is below.
Good write up. The only thing I would clarify is that the AWD F Sport does not have the staggered tires or the brake issues. As the OP is in CT, I am guessing most around there will be AWD.
Im2bz2p345 (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 01:40 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Good write up. The only thing I would clarify is that the AWD F Sport does not have the staggered tires or the brake issues. As the OP is in CT, I am guessing most around there will be AWD.
Very good point! I’m in Southern Cal so I neglected to think about the benefits of AWD in places that have four seasons. Worth noting that the AWD had a six speed transmission instead of an 8 speed. I’ll admit I haven’t driven the 6 speed but my impression is that there’s a notable difference in how the car shifts and what the shifts feel like to the driver.
JDR76 (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 02:03 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the 2015 F-sport the best,It has every thing I need. I don't like overly complicated controls, & the 8-speed trans add's performance & MPG.
I have a boxster for more sporty driving or top down cruising.
ChicagoGSf (03-25-21)
Old 03-22-21, 02:21 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

'13-'15 represents somewhat fewer options/goodies, but the best value, sportier ride and of course lower prices. Certainly more '13-'15 models on the used market than anything else.

'16-'20 represents the newer goodies/options, upgraded nav/tech, refreshed exterior/styling but with a smoother/more luxury oriented ride. Less '16+ models in the market to choose from.

Up to you to decide which fits your budget and needs.
NickMayer (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 02:51 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 2013 RWD w/lux package (includes prem option too I beleive) and ML audio. I think the 6 speed is fine. I test drove a newer version before I bought my 2013 and I believe it must have had the 8 speed but that was before I was more versed in the options and std components. I believe it was a 2016 or 2017 and if felt very sluggish so much so that I was not impressed with how it compared to the V6 Camry I was currently driving. As far as I know, most don't say that the 8-speed is sportier than the 6-speed so I'm not sure where you heard that. When I test drove the 2013 it was noticeably better than the V6 Camry and if I hadn't felt that way I might not have bought it.

As far as the new tech features I can take or leave them. I had a 2020 ES350 loaner last year for 3 days with lane keep assist and adaptive cruise and I have to say I was not that impressed with them. The lane keep did not keep center in the lane but bounced from right to left without driver input. It got annoying and I turned it off. Also adaptive cruise was not terribly good. It also had the Hold feature which I thought I'd really like but it seemed to want me to really mash on the brake to get it to hold properly. So, if the implementation of these items is the same in the GS then I wouldn't really care about them.

So take those critiques for what you may, I've been very happy with my 2013 however I kind of wish it had the HUD option and power folding mirrors. I think the Luxury package is worth it and it has Sport+, leather and wood steering wheel, rear power sunshade, manual rear seat sunshades, rear seat climate & stereo controls. Also, ML Audio is probably a desired feature though I haven't compared to one without it.
boostinsc (03-27-21)
Old 03-22-21, 03:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thallium
As far as the new tech features I can take or leave them. I had a 2020 ES350 loaner last year for 3 days with lane keep assist and adaptive cruise and I have to say I was not that impressed with them. The lane keep did not keep center in the lane but bounced from right to left without driver input. It got annoying and I turned it off. Also adaptive cruise was not terribly good. It also had the Hold feature which I thought I'd really like but it seemed to want me to really mash on the brake to get it to hold properly. So, if the implementation of these items is the same in the GS then I wouldn't really care about them.
Thankfully that is not my experience with those features in the GS. I've had great success with the adaptive cruise and is pretty nice in traffic, and the lane centering works very well, though it should be noted that it only works to keep you in the center when adaptive cruise is on. If cruise is off, then it is just LKA (not lane centering) and the only purpose is to nudge you back in the lane if you drift off, so it will ping-pong you back and forth.

The hold feature has taken some time for me to get used to. It doesn't matter how hard you push the brake pedal, it just engages once the car has come to a stop.

I like the dynamic cruise so much that I would never again buy a car without it. I'm less sold on the need for the steering assist.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
LexusGSboy (04-01-21), NickMayer (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 03:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Here is my more detailed opinion of my experience:

2015 GS350 AWD F Sport - I loved this car. Seriously loved this car. I did not want to give it up at the end of the lease, so that's why I stuck with another GS. I loved the styling, I liked the striated aluminum trim, the wheels, and the way it drove. It was just a fabulous car. The biggest negative was the lack of radar cruise. It meant that I NEVER once used the cruise control on it. I didn't care about not having LKA or any version of it, but was used to radar cruise on our RX and then our Highlander, so I definitely missed it. There weren't any available in my area with the radar cruise when I bought it. My only other real complaint with that car was that the engine felt a bit rough at times.

2019/2020 GS350 AWD F Sport - I'll combine these as the only difference in these two cars was the color. I find the interior a bit darker as the Naguri trim isn't as bright as the striated aluminum was, and they revised the interior dome lighting which I think is quite poor. Otherwise I strongly prefer the new gauge cluster, and I find the ride and interior noise to be much, much better. It's a lot quieter and the engine sounds better and is always super smooth. The ride is noticeably smoother, but it doesn't really seem to come at the expense of handling. I can still toss this one around just as much as I could my 15. I also really like that features like the full color HUD and power trunk became so much more widely available. And as noted, all-speed radar cruise as well as LKA with lane centering (and other features) were standard by that time. So all in all, I feel like they were a better deal when new. My 2020 MSRP was within a few hundred dollars of my 2015, yet added the safety features, HUD, power trunk, cold weather package, and triple LED headlights.

So this is why I say there isn't a wrong choice, whether you choose the pre-refresh or post-refresh. Both have their strengths.
NickMayer (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 04:24 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 532 Likes on 387 Posts

Thankfully that is not my experience with those features in the GS. I've had great success with the adaptive cruise and is pretty nice in traffic, and the lane centering works very well, though it should be noted that it only works to keep you in the center when adaptive cruise is on. If cruise is off, then it is just LKA (not lane centering) and the only purpose is to nudge you back in the lane if you drift off, so it will ping-pong you back and forth.

The hold feature has taken some time for me to get used to. It doesn't matter how hard you push the brake pedal, it just engages once the car has come to a stop.

I like the dynamic cruise so much that I would never again buy a car without it. I'm less sold on the need for the steering assist.
It would be pretty cool if it operated like the Cadillac Super Cruise. I think brake hold is perfect for a lot of stop and go traffic.
Old 03-22-21, 04:42 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I've driven both the 2013 6sp Trans and later 8spd Trans. Own the 13 6sp. The 6 speed is aggressive does not hunt or change turning corners and other. The 8spd is nice too but hunts way more to me and feels just like a CVT. Paddle shifting is way different and better in the 6spd. IMO.
GxPrince (03-24-21)

Quick Reply: What model year is the best for GS 350?