Considering a Lexus GS 350 - Help with purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 12:11 PM
Informato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Lexus GS 350 - Help with purchase

Greetings all.

I'm considering making a Lexus my next vehicle. and considering a 4th gen GS 350 (non F-sport). Some questions.:
- V6 engine interference or noninterference?
- Timing chain or timing belt?
- Port Injection or direct injection or combination of both?
- Any issues with one year over the other that makes the other a better choice? I read the 2013 MY had more owner complaints like battery drain problem, etc.
- How would you describe the ride quality compared to same model year (non-f-sport) of the IS 350, ES 350, LS 460?

Thanks much!
Old 11-11-20, 02:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Informato
Greetings all.

I'm considering making a Lexus my next vehicle. and considering a 4th gen GS 350 (non F-sport). Some questions.:

Welcome! I'll take a shot at these.

I'm about 90% certain that both the 2GR-FSE (2013-2015) and the 2GR-FKS (2016-2020) engines are interference engines.

Chain

Both

- Any issues with one year over the other that makes the other a better choice? I read the 2013 MY had more owner complaints like battery drain problem, etc.
A few things here or there, but there really aren't any years of the 4GS that aren't reliable.
- How would you describe the ride quality compared to same model year (non-f-sport) of the IS 350, ES 350, LS 460?
Of these you listed, it will be closest to the IS. The ES and LS are softer. GS is more fun.

The following 6 users liked this post by JDR76:
AJLex19 (11-12-20), andrew4GS (11-11-20), Im2bz2p345 (11-12-20), Informato (11-11-20), SC300Es (11-13-20), websurfer (11-11-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-11-20, 02:18 PM
andrew4GS
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey,

I'm not too sure whether the 3.5 is an interference engine or not, but I'm just about certain that it has a timing chain. It also has both port and direct injection.

Not sure about model year specific issues, though I'm cautious about buying a first year vehicle from any manufacturer. We've had a 2014 GS350 F-Sport AWD Since new, and we have had just about zero issues, or almost zero unscheduled maintenance visits. So far, a few years ago the parking brake was over-tightened and the car vibrated for a few moments on the highway, and that was that. Got it taken car of free of charge a few days later. As of recently, there has been a slight clunk from the rear suspension going over some bumps, which some people have mentioned on this forum that the clunking may be a shock on its way out. However, since the car has 163,000km on it already, I am not surprised. So, realistically there's been nothing other than wear and tear components (oil, brakes, tires, etc).

The ride quality on our F-Sport is pretty good IMO. As someone who lusts after land-yachts, there have been a few times where I thought it was a little stiff, though overall I am incredibly pleased with the ride quality. It's controlled, especially at higher speeds, which gives it a confident feel, but not too firm where you're going to break your back. I think it's a really good balance.

Compared to an LS460, the LS is obviously going to be more comfortable. Same story with the ES. I'd say its comparable to the IS. I haven't driven a non-Fsport GS, so I can't really comment on that. The very few times I thought it was a little stiff are overshadowed by the countless times I've enjoyed the car's great handling abilities.
The following users liked this post:
Informato (11-11-20)
Old 11-11-20, 06:49 PM
Informato
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

I went to test drive an ES but canceled after I sat in it. II'm 6''3" 34' inseam and didn't like how the ES sitting position was for me.

I just test drove the GS 350 base AWD, and GS 350 f sport+, I felt very comfortable in the sitting position of the GS. The base AWD, was very comfortable over rough terrain and still handled well, without feeling floaty. The F sport had stiffer seats, and appeared to have a slightly stiffer suspension. I don't know if I really noticed that much of a performance gain on the F sport to give up the comfort of the non-F.

​Questions:
- The direct injectors will make a ticking noise at idle correct?
- in your opinion would you say the IS rides very similar to the GS F-sport, or GS non-F?

Old 11-11-20, 08:04 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

​Questions:
- The direct injectors will make a ticking noise at idle correct?
Yes, and more so in the pre-refresh, at least that was my experience. The 2018 is much quieter than my last 2015.

- in your opinion would you say the IS rides very similar to the GS F-sport, or GS non-F?
The IS does ride similarly to the GS, but the larger GS platform is not as planted as the IS, and is a touch softer and more steady when the road's not twisty. Not certain of the suspension differences between the F Sport and non F Sport, but I think the tires do play a factor here. The 18" on the non-F Sport, with the taller sidewall provides a noticeably softer ride than the lower profile 19s. Unless your roads are bad, or you like to push the suspension in the twisties, I doubt there's a noticeable difference in suspensions between the 2 GS models.

The following 2 users liked this post by chinee:
AJLex19 (11-12-20), Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-11-20, 09:10 PM
andrew4GS
6th Gear

Totally agree with chinee, they've make some great points.

So, yes, the ticking is noticeable at idle but perfectly normal.
Like chinee said, the GS does ride similar to the IS, though the non F-Sport rides a bit smoother (I'd still test drive an IS if you haven't). However, if you felt a little cramped in the ES, my guess is that you'll feel the same in the IS. If it were up to me, I'd go with a GS, regardless if its an F-Sport or not. I think the GS is well-rounded. And you're right, there isn't a performance gain with the F-Sport, its really just suspension, brakes, and cosmetics.
Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 06:36 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Informato
Greetings all.

Thanks much!
These are the most reliable used [luxury] cars you can buy, hands down. There isn't even competition in the used car market. One used car dealer here said these cars at 100K will beat reliability of many (non-Toyota/Lexus) new cars sitting on showroom floors.

Nothing is perfect but powertrain issues are almost unheard of. The electronics and modules are also very well built. Anything major gets recalled.
You should probably test drive a bunch and see for yourself which layout works for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by gs350fan:
Im2bz2p345 (11-12-20), Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 08:36 AM
Informato
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

Oh, and I test drove an RX just for the heck of it. I believe it was a 2013 as well. I didn't like it - really floaty and steering way too soft with lots of hand correction back and forth.

The last two I need to sit in (and if passes that) test drive are the IS 350 and LS 460, just to see. But if the IS is as a stiffer ride I probably won't like that as much.

Questions:
- Is v6 is more reliable and easier to work on than the V8? I think it's easier to change spark plugs on the v6 am I correct?

-What type of fuel economy are you seeing with your GS?
Old 11-12-20, 08:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Are you looking at Lexus dealers or anywhere in particular?

The IS350 will feel very small, but it's a fun car. I enjoyed mine, but I could never go back to an IS.

As for the LS, I don't think you'll find the V8 to be any less reliable than the V6. The difference with the LS is that there are some fairly common and expensive repair items. They are known to go through control arms, and be cautious with the air suspension (or just avoid it).

On my GS, I average around 17 around town. On the highway I get up to about 28 mpg.
Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 08:44 AM
andrew4GS
6th Gear

Don't think there is much of a reliability difference between the V6 and V8, as both are great engines. I think that the V6 would be/is less expensive to work on, and possibly easier to work on if you're into DIY.

I'm in Canada, where we use Liters/100km. On the highway, if I'm averaging about 125-130km/hr I can average 8.9-9liters/100km, which is about 26MPG. If you slow it down a bit to around 120, I've gotten mid to high 8's, so call it around or just over 27MPG. Depends on your driving style. City fuel economy is less than ideal, though not that bad. I usually get around 13L/100km (18MPG or less sometimes).
Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 11:16 AM
Informato
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

I've been test driving at a Lexus dealer and CarMax. I'm not opposed to buying private party.

Question:

What are the pros and cons of AWD or RWD? Is one better than other, or more expensive to service?
Old 11-12-20, 11:19 AM
andrew4GS
6th Gear

AWD comes with a 6 speed auto, RWD comes with an 8 speed. I have the AWD model since we get a lot of snow where I live, and I don't think the 6 speed is a downgrade. At least in my opinion, 6 speeds is the optimal, though having 8 is nice.

AWD would probably cost more to service down the line, because of the added drivetrain components. Though, I haven't had any issues yet.

It depends where you live, but if it does get cold and you get a decent amount of snow, I'd go with AWD. The fuel economy hit is pretty minor as well
Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 11:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Buy this one.

https://www.lexusofseattle.com/inven...1bl5ka010602/#
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
AJLex19 (11-12-20), Informato (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 12:28 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

@Informato there is a also a luxury package GS that tend to be rare. They up the ante with more luxury features: better semi-aniline leather, 18-way adjustable seats, wood steering wheel, nicer wood inserts along the dash/doors, Sport+ mode (similar to the F-sport), unique wheels, rear door sunshades, and a host of other options. Here are some examples:

Pre refresh: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1566964
Post refresh: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8056/overview/

The following 3 users liked this post by AJLex19:
andrew4GS (11-12-20), Informato (11-12-20), JDR76 (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 03:52 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 533 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If only you could tell him the history of that particular GS.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
AJLex19 (11-12-20), JDR76 (11-12-20)

Quick Reply: Considering a Lexus GS 350 - Help with purchase