GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

First time possible needing brakes - advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 11:31 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are rotors required when doing brakes on F-Sport Package?

I have a 2016 GS-350 F-Sport with 28K miles and with my windows open I can hear noise when I brake. So I know I need to bring it to service place or dealer . I

One dealer on phone told me I need I have to do rotors on F-Sport without even looking, 2nd dealer I brought in for oil change and told me same thing

They want $900 for front brakes pads/rotors

Also need tires, they want $1600 for tires (Dunlops) , think that includes alignment. Rather go to Costco for tires. But brakes I am not sure about.

Last edited by jms123; 05-19-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 11:47 AM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Lexus is more likely to offer a loaner car hence that's what you get for owning luxury, but Toyota varies from dealership to dealership. You should've just gotten better brand wipers else where. I usually use the OEM ons until they die, and I just go for either rain-x or bosch.

Lexus should offer you a loaner car, but usually when I get like an oil change or something quick done they don't really offer it unless you tell them you have to be somewhere and you would have to let them know ahead of time just in case there aren't any loaners around (which I highly doubt but just in case they don't)
Old 05-10-20, 12:26 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by initial
Lexus is more likely to offer a loaner car hence that's what you get for owning luxury, but Toyota varies from dealership to dealership. You should've just gotten better brand wipers else where. I usually use the OEM ons until they die, and I just go for either rain-x or bosch.

Lexus should offer you a loaner car, but usually when I get like an oil change or something quick done they don't really offer it unless you tell them you have to be somewhere and you would have to let them know ahead of time just in case there aren't any loaners around (which I highly doubt but just in case they don't)
Thanks. A loaner car has a value of $30 a day because thats about what a rental would cost. Uber would work too if they did not give me a loaner. I am guessing about $25 each way so about $50 but then without a car for however long it takes though with Covid not going too far. I'm not sure if itis something I should call and ask for price of brakes, who knows if they tell me I need rotors . They will probably tell me they need to be resurfaced. When I go to dealer I tell them I hear a squeak right I don't say, hey I think I need brakes, I let them tell me. Also will get an oil change at the same time

RainX/Bosch work good? The Goodyears/Michelins from Costcos suck.
Old 05-10-20, 08:10 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had Bosch on majority of my cars and I live in Louisiana where it rains hell lol. I would recommend rain-x since it will clean the windshield really well and leave no streaks. At one point during this pandemic, Lexus was offering to come to your house and take the car to the dealership to work on and drive it back to you free of charge; I'm not sure if they still offer that. I'd say just call to ask for price. I assume it would be about 250 for a whole brake job including rotors. I get discounts at Lexus so a brake job for me is only 50 bucks lol. Usually if they find that you need your rotors replaced/resurfaced, they'd call and ask if you would like for those to replaced too. Worst case scenario, they tell you need to get them resurfaced/replaced. Just call and see what your options are.
Old 05-11-20, 07:23 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 337 Posts

If you are having issues with OEM or brand name wipers, its more likely a windshield issue. You may need a claybar, polish and sealant. I used the Griots trio and the results were amazing. I always use the refills for the blades and they are always immaculate as long as the windshield is treated once a year or so.

Most shops won't install new pads without new or resurfaced rotors. At 28k you will likely only need a resurface. I do my brakes myself but for my wife's cars (NX200t and past ES350), I always buy the OEM parts and use a local shop. I am in Wellington but I purchased my GS at Lexus of Pembroke Pines and have gotten service in the past at Lexus of Palm Beach. JM is a very nice dealer but too far of a drive for me. I would go there if it was closer.

As far as loaners I don't believe they will offer one unless the work time frame is over a certain amount of hours but worth asking.
Old 05-14-20, 01:38 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

So called two Lexus dealers in my neighborhood. One told me price of breaks was $300 front and back each but that does not include rotors just resurfacing, of course I may not need back. This dealer did not ask if I had F-Sport model which I do. The 2nd dealer told me $800 for front including the rotors and shins , he asked if I had the sport model, and said that if you hear squeaking when you step on brakes you need rotors, we usually do rotors on F-Sport
Old 05-14-20, 10:55 PM
GS350Boi
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I had this issue. I simply ordered some ceramics on rock auto and the install front and back was easy as eating warm peach pie. It very easy and you only need simple tools. Very quick to do as well.
Old 05-16-20, 01:48 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS350Boi
I had this issue. I simply ordered some ceramics on rock auto and the install front and back was easy as eating warm peach pie. It very easy and you only need simple tools. Very quick to do as well.
I am not handy =)
Old 05-16-20, 04:59 PM
MBradshaw
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

At 28k miles, I doubt that you would need new rotors. They should be able to resurface easily at that mileage point.
From what you've said, I'd try the first dealership that quoted you the 300 price (per axle). You shouldn't need the rear brakes done, but I'm sure they'll check how much you have left on the pads when they do the work. The F-Sport status shouldn't make much difference overall.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-20, 05:13 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MBradshaw
At 28k miles, I doubt that you would need new rotors. They should be able to resurface easily at that mileage point.
From what you've said, I'd try the first dealership that quoted you the 300 price (per axle). You shouldn't need the rear brakes done, but I'm sure they'll check how much you have left on the pads when they do the work. The F-Sport status shouldn't make much difference overall.

Good luck!
Thanks. I booked an oil change with them. Will see what they say about brakes. I'm sure when I check in with the consultant (if they dont already have notes on my brake inquiry call) he'll ask if I have any concerns and I'll tell him about the squeaking. I also know I need front tires but I will not do them at the dealer.
Old 05-16-20, 06:03 PM
Niralsp88
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Just got brakes for my 2015 Fsport AWD. Check out these links.
Passenger Front Rotor:
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...351230350.html
Driver Front Rotor:
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...351630040.html
Front Brake Pads:
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...446530510.html
Front Shims:
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...494530350.html
Rear Rotors (Qty 2 needed)
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...243130310.html
Rear Pads:
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...446630312.html
Rear shims:
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...494630230.html

Old 05-16-20, 07:16 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

You doing yourself?
Old 05-16-20, 07:51 PM
Niralsp88
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah def, take a look at this vid for a quick tutorial
Old 05-19-20, 11:00 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MBradshaw

Good luck!
2nd dealer insisting I need rotors on F-Sport - wants $900 for break job, just front

also looking for advice on tires, dealer wants $1600 to replace all 4 with Dunlops, Front & Back are different because F-Sport, I know I need the front, claim back tread is worn in middle but I would just do front, I'm in Florida - no ice, just rain
Old 05-19-20, 12:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by jms123
2nd dealer insisting I need rotors on F-Sport - wants $900 for break job, just front

also looking for advice on tires, dealer wants $1600 to replace all 4 with Dunlops, Front & Back are different because F-Sport, I know I need the front, claim back tread is worn in middle but I would just do front, I'm in Florida - no ice, just rain
Most likely you only need pads in the front. You only replace rotors if they are warped or thickness is not within spec. Front rotors will last a long time, I'm at 100k miles with original sets of rotors.
That's a ripoff for tires, especially Dunlops.

The pads are super easy to change in the front, you literally just remove one retaining pin, and pull the pads out. Only basic tools needed to do the job. 5 minutes per side. Dealer probably charges 2 hours labor.
Tires, you can get a much better deal at an independent tire shop.

Quick Reply: First time possible needing brakes - advice