GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Magnetic tires, with a pothole addiction.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 11:08 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Magnetic tires, with a pothole addiction.

So low air yesterday, turns out nails in tire again, but didn't need repaired. Back tire had screws, can't remove so tire needs replaced. Ok, it's not leaking so waiting on that.
Just hit a massive Lucas Lagoon sized pothole and now need a tire.... The one that didn't need patched yesterday, of course....

This is the... 4th time a pothole required me to need a new tire. Which ok, roads suck, and try as I might, I suck at avoiding them I guess.

So, to the point. I have Toyo Proxes 4 plus, 235/40 r19 tires. Every time this happens no one has this in stock and I wait days. Toyo is a good brand, no?
Tired of waiting every time... I know there is a best tire thread somewhere, so apologies if this is too redundant.

But, best all weather tire that has best chance of actually being in stock, anywhere? I'll do 1 at a time, not trying to buy full set.

Also considering using winter tires next year and putting 18's on. Might be worth the investment.

Thoughts?
Old 02-22-20, 11:53 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the constant potholes, nails, etc. I have personal experience both the the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and Dunlop Signature HP tires. Most folks i've seen lately are going with Continental DW6 but it really depends on the road feel, handling, etc. you're looking for...no experience with Toyo but if you like 'em thats all that matters!

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Would you consider buying online from TireRack or Amazon which can be delivered usually within just 2-3days to your doorstop or you prefer to get them locally?
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-22-20)
Old 02-22-20, 11:59 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the constant potholes, nails, etc. I have personal experience both the the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and Dunlop Signature HP tires. Most folks i've seen lately are going with Continental DW6 but it really depends on the road feel, handling, etc. you're looking for...no experience with Toyo but if you like 'em thats all that matters!

https://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-Cintu...490380-3279311
https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Proxes-P.../dp/B072229SS1

Would you consider buying online from TireRack or Amazon which can be delivered usually within just 2-3days to your doorstop or you prefer to get them locally?
Appreciate it!

In a perfect world I'd like to be able to go with something ANYONE had in stock. But only reason for toyo is they were on this car when I got it, and I've heard of the brand, lol.

I think I'm ready for something new, even just for the mental change and hope they bring me better luck! (haha, I know that is ridiculous, lol)

And for the right price, I have no problem going Amazon. I will definitely look into that. Pirelli is a strong brand, why not right?
Old 02-22-20, 12:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I think you probably have a Discount Tire store nearby. I recommend that see what tires your local Discount Tire has in their stock for your car. Keep in mind that even if your local Discount Tire store doesn't have what you are looking for they can usually get whatever tire you want in just a day of two. I would also recommend buying their road hazard warranty...especially if your recent luck is any indication of what the future may hold!
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Discount Tire (02-22-20), NickMayer (02-22-20)
Old 02-22-20, 12:29 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think you probably have a Discount Tire store nearby. I recommend that see what tires your local Discount Tire has in their stock for your car. Keep in mind that even if your local Discount Tire store doesn't have what you are looking for they can usually get whatever tire you want in just a day of two. I would also recommend buying their road hazard warranty...especially if your recent luck is any indication of what the future may hold!
I think you have a good point about just saying heck with it and getting road hazard.
Love to not have to order a tire every time, I'm close enough to a large(ish) market that there are tons of options.
I did try tire discounters last time, ordered the tire, and literally never heard back from them. Just went through Lexus, same price too.

But I think regardless going road hazard will be the way to go, plus maybe trying a new tire for the heck of it.
Old 02-22-20, 02:05 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not just go to 245/40/19? It’s way more readily available.
Old 02-23-20, 12:18 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by j.Veezy68
Why not just go to 245/40/19? It’s way more readily available.
Honestly, I have NO idea. These were on my car when I got them. And since I've just replaced a single tire each time, hadn't even considered different size tire. That number is for width right?
Old 02-23-20, 12:23 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Yep - the first number represents the width of the tire. The stock wheels (both 18" and 19") are well suited for the slight increase in width from 235 to 245 - in fact a lot of clublexus 4GS owners on here upsize to 245 because they can't find matching tire sizes for all four.
Plus IMHO, it fills out the rear profile of the car nicely with the wider tire width.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-23-20)
Old 02-23-20, 04:18 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

costco road hazard. I have never really needed road hazard warranty in southern California, I don't think I've ever gotten a nail or bubble in anyone of my tires ever, but it looks like you are the prime example of why its needed.
Old 02-23-20, 04:42 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by kietlander
costco road hazard. I have never really needed road hazard warranty in southern California, I don't think I've ever gotten a nail or bubble in anyone of my tires ever, but it looks like you are the prime example of why its needed.
Yea, i have new construction subdivision. Which they just finished building in. Of course they've been done a few months and it hasn't got better, lol
Old 02-25-20, 11:09 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Just a little update/cry fest...

I need new Strut and mount, and new wheel bearings. Lexus wants $1700 for everything. They gave me part numbers and they add up to 600(ish). This hurts. ANd not sure how much I could save going somewhere else, but also not sure if it is worth trying to cheap out.
Old 02-25-20, 11:33 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
Strut and mount are cheap, wheel bearings are also not bad. An independent mechanic could easily do all of them for half of that price. Or you could DIY, and none of those are difficult.
Looked like parts were 600 online after a quick search.

But not something I would do myself. Tried couple independent mechanics and so far getting the run around. Waiting on 1 guy to respond now before I give Lexus the go ahead.
Old 02-25-20, 11:39 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Even if the parts are $600, which I found total to about $400-500, there's no reason to pay $1,100 in labor. That's a 2-3 hour labor job for a trained technician.
I just looked quickly on lexus part now, but yea...

So, are you free?
Old 02-25-20, 11:45 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Haha, you'd have quite a drive for me to do it for. If you lived closer, I would help you change it in exchange for lunch.
Well ****, lol, might be cheaper to come to you! HAHA

But I feel ya.

Still hoping to hear back from the 1 guy I trust. Otherwise it's the dealership for me.
Old 02-25-20, 12:41 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 531 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Just a little update/cry fest...

I need new Strut and mount, and new wheel bearings. Lexus wants $1700 for everything. They gave me part numbers and they add up to 600(ish). This hurts. ANd not sure how much I could save going somewhere else, but also not sure if it is worth trying to cheap out.
Are you saying the pothole damaged the strut...? If it did, I'd think your wheel would be damaged too or is the strut just worn?

Quick Reply: Magnetic tires, with a pothole addiction.