GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone changed transmission fluid? Looking for the paper filter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 08:55 AM
pschall
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone changed transmission fluid? Looking for the paper filter.

I just picked up my '14 GS 350 with 55k miles. I'm thinking I'll do a drain and fill on WS transmission fluid. A few questions below:

1. Has anyone done this?
2. Where can I secure the paper filter I've been reading about?

I was going to have my local Toyota dealership do the fluid drain and fill for me. @$200 maybe I should it myself though.
Old 11-19-19, 09:32 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

There is no reason to consider a trans fluid anything at 55k miles.
Old 11-19-19, 09:43 AM
pschall
Rookie

No? I figured 50k (ish) was a good fluid replacement interval.
Old 11-19-19, 03:42 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 449 Likes on 312 Posts

Actually, according to some thought, this is a great time to service an automatic transmission.
The goal is to remove break in debris.
Old 11-19-19, 04:21 PM
pschall
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Actually, according to some thought, this is a great time to service an automatic transmission.
The goal is to remove break in debris.
Anyone have a solid breakdown of the procedure?
Old 11-19-19, 04:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Lexus (as well as many other car makers) is losing-out on a lot of service profits by not putting transmission fluid replacement in their maintenance schedule. The reason why it is not in the maintenance schedule is because - it is not needed.

For the naysayers that may argue that Lexus would prefer to repair or replace the transmission due to not replacing the transmission fluid - you would have tens of thousands of owners complaining of transmission failures and ultimately a major class action lawsuit brought against the car maker(s).

For the owners that have fallen so head-over-heels in love with their car and truly expect to keep the car for many decades and gazillions of miles - my suggestion is to give it until 250,000 miles and if you still own the old outdated and worn-out car - replace the transmission fluid.

Old 11-19-19, 04:51 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 449 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by pschall
Anyone have a solid breakdown of the procedure?
There are numerous Youtube videos on changing Toyota no-dipstick transmission fluid.
It is basically a spill and fill, with setting final level at a specified fluid temperature.

You can search this site for this topic for addidional information.
I wrote up the procedure I am going to follow; I doubt it is in any service manual.

There are numerous opinions on transmission service; what you do with your cars is up to you.
Personally, I do not believe in lifetime fluids, period.
Also, I will use a good synthetic fluid, Idemitsu WS equivalent, instead of WS. Again, my choice.
This is not meant to disrespect the wonderful posts on this forum.
I can tell you after servicing automatic transmissions, the transmission shifts better and sometimes pulls better.
This is my 2 cents.
Old 11-19-19, 05:04 PM
pschall
Rookie

Thanks, Jeff. I'll search for your post. I imagine, I can just measure the amount I drain and put that exact amount back in. Any idea who makes our transmissions? Are these Aisin units?
Old 11-20-19, 03:54 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

35168-60010 transmission gasket
90301-31014 transmission filter oring
35178-30010 transmission drain gasket
35330-50020 transmission filter

Suited my '12 6 speed A760E
Likely will have to fly those bits in from Japan.
Old 11-20-19, 04:04 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,064 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Lexus (as well as many other car makers) is losing-out on a lot of service profits by not putting transmission fluid replacement in their maintenance schedule. The reason why it is not in the maintenance schedule is because - it is not needed.

For the naysayers that may argue that Lexus would prefer to repair or replace the transmission due to not replacing the transmission fluid - you would have tens of thousands of owners complaining of transmission failures and ultimately a major class action lawsuit brought against the car maker(s).

For the owners that have fallen so head-over-heels in love with their car and truly expect to keep the car for many decades and gazillions of miles - my suggestion is to give it until 250,000 miles and if you still own the old outdated and worn-out car - replace the transmission fluid.

Agree 100%
Lexus states it never needs to be changed. Will guarantee comments will follow like nothing last forever, needs to be changed, it changes color after so many miles etc. Anyone who recommends spending your hard earned money to change it ask them how many years they have working on Lexus transmission's and where did they get their training. You will get no replies. All this being said do what you feel most comfortable. Sixth Lexus and never have changed the transmission fluid and ZERO problems.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Asked him what lifetime meant and see said life of the car.

Some of the comments above are interesting. If I thought my car manufacturer was telling me not to change the transmission fluid so they could claim low maintenance cost or wanting to sell me a transmission down the road, I would sell my Lexus and never buy another.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (11-21-19)
Old 11-20-19, 05:10 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
Agree 100%
Lexus states it never needs to be changed.
Correction, Lexus USA says it never needs to be changed. Ever thought it was odd that other Lexus importer's manuals recommend tranny work?
Old 11-20-19, 07:26 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Correction, Lexus USA says it never needs to be changed. Ever thought it was odd that other Lexus importer's manuals recommend tranny work?
The maintenance guide for the ES300h (which is only available in Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand) also says that periodic fluid checks and replacement are not required (pp 76).

Edit: I got two things confused. The GS300h is not in the US, but I couldn't find a maintenance guide for one. I thought I had, but it was the ES300h guide, which isn't relevant because it IS available in the US.

Last edited by jonathancl; 11-21-19 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 12:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Agree 100%
Lexus states it never needs to be changed. Will guarantee comments will follow like nothing last forever, needs to be changed, it changes color after so many miles etc. Anyone who recommends spending your hard earned money to change it ask them how many years they have working on Lexus transmission's and where did they get their training. You will get no replies. All this being said do what you feel most comfortable. Sixth Lexus and never have changed the transmission fluid and ZERO problems.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Asked him what lifetime meant and see said life of the car.

Some of the comments above are interesting. If I thought my car manufacturer was telling me not to change the transmission fluid so they could claim low maintenance cost or wanting to sell me a transmission down the road, I would sell my Lexus and never buy another.
Agree 100%
Old 11-20-19, 03:16 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonathancl
The maintenance guide for the ES300h (which is only available in Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand) also says that periodic fluid checks and replacement are not required (pp 76).
I think there's a few things you should consider.
1. That manual is an American manual, look at the last couple of pages with the US mailing address.The manual also uses imperial units, used in an insignificant number of countries. I'm finding it difficult to rise above stereotypes here... US rules and guidelines do not apply to other countries. Because the ES300H is sold where I live and you have a manual for it, therefore your manual applies?

I'm not suggesting US owners follow manuals from other markets but I make the point that Lexus USA says not to service transmissions, not Lexus international /Japan - for reasons already discussed in other threads.

2. The ES300h is available in your nation. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of making a manual but not the car! Doesn't sound very Japanese at all!
http://www.motor1.com/reviews/303196...luxury-review/
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...-ES-300h-d2163
Old 11-20-19, 05:23 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

i changed my fluid at 60k

Quick Reply: Anyone changed transmission fluid? Looking for the paper filter.