ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Please help me pick a car (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/916689-please-help-me-pick-a-car.html)

Jason91Ho 04-19-19 05:38 AM

Please help me pick a car

Hey guys i am currently looking for a used GS 350 I found a 2013 with 56k miles. It has luxury package and priced at 21k. Another one i found is 2015 with 21k miles priced at 25k with no package at all, literally bare bone GS 350. One part of me want a low mileage car and the other want some luxury. Any advice on what car i should get?

jonathancl 04-19-19 05:50 AM

Get the Luxury: so many great features. Turning headlights, variable suspension, WAY better seats, back seat controls and heat, pretty wheels.

The 2015 does have several updated items that are useful, but not enough to outweigh the value of the Luxury package.

bigblack06 04-19-19 05:58 AM

It all depends on your price point. I would probably go for the luxury as you will have more features in it.

rj4510 04-19-19 06:42 AM

Easy pick for me. I went with the 2013 Lux package over the 15 base. Mileage delta was about the same as posted between the two. Haven’t regretted it one bit. The extra features are nice. The aiming headlights come in real handy on dark twisty mountain roads, but what’s 100% useful 100% of the time are the seats. I have back issues, so any and all help with seats pretty much trumps everything.

JDR76 04-19-19 07:22 AM

As with the others, I'd get the 2013 lux.

Jason91Ho 04-19-19 10:06 AM

Thanks guys, i'll prob go with the one with lux package. You guys dont think 56k miles is too high right?

swat1727 04-19-19 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jason91Ho (Post 10497410)
Thanks guys, i'll prob go with the one with lux package. You guys dont think 56k miles is too high right?

If cared properly, (basic oil change for that mile) at 56k the engine is very young. At 60k you will need to do a bunch maintenance, (spark plugs, fluid change, etc) which means you get to make sure they are done on time. You will be good for another 60k miles before another major maintenance.

jonathancl 04-19-19 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jason91Ho (Post 10497410)

Bought my 2013 Lux at 72k, up to 85k now. You can't tell how many miles it has on it.
I considered an F Sport w 105k, would have bought it too if they'd given me a little more on my trade.

These machines are good to 200k no sweat.

Jason91Ho 04-19-19 11:37 AM

thanks for all the input guys. Going to test drive it again tomorrow and prob ask them to drop 500. :)

JDR76 04-19-19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jason91Ho (Post 10497530)
thanks for all the input guys. Going to test drive it again tomorrow and prob ask them to drop 500. :)

Great! Keep us posted!

PlPete 04-19-19 12:22 PM

Having come over to Lexus recently (just picked up a 2014 F Sport w/ ML with 58k on clock) from Audi it really makes me chuckle when I hear about what a major service looks like here. With my A4 as you get closer to 80k you got to plan a lot more with the biggest expense being timing belt, thermostat and water pump. I had a manual transmission which I really really liked but labor for a clutch was $2k alone. combine those two and you're easily looking at around $5k for parts and labor. I think German cars are great but preventative maintenance is the name of the game. Carbon build up is a whole other story. One thing you won't have to worry on the GS. You can thank the extra 6 port injectors for that.

I know everyone is different in their mechanical abilities but the 60k service to me on the Lexus is a joke and super easy. I've heard people being quoted $600 to replace spark plugs! sheeesh

swat1727 04-19-19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by PlPete (Post 10497573)
Having come over to Lexus recently (just picked up a 2014 F Sport w/ ML with 58k on clock) from Audi it really makes me chuckle when I hear about what a major service looks like here. With my A4 as you get closer to 80k you got to plan a lot more with the biggest expense being timing belt, thermostat and water pump. I had a manual transmission which I really really liked but labor for a clutch was $2k alone. combine those two and you're easily looking at around $5k for parts and labor. I think German cars are great but preventative maintenance is the name of the game. Carbon build up is a whole other story. One thing you won't have to worry on the GS. You can thank the extra 6 port injectors for that.

I know everyone is different in their mechanical abilities but the 60k service to me on the Lexus is a joke and super easy. I've heard people being quoted $600 to replace spark plugs! sheeesh

Agree. Spark plugs are relatively easy on the GS. I wouldn't pay more than 200 if you want to pay someone to do it. Under one hour for the job. I would also change the transmission fluid, radiator fluid and maybe even diff. fluid, even though they said it's life time.

thallium 04-19-19 04:01 PM

The major 60k service items are:
  • oil change
  • spark plug change
  • brake check
  • brake fluid change
  • cabin air filter change
  • engine air filter change
Some will argue that the plugs and brake fluid don't need changed and I've come around on this somewhat. V6 Camrys don't recommend plugs until 120k so why 60k here? Some argue that your plugs should last far longer and possibly 200k and beyond. I don't know about that but I think what I'll do is just leave them alone unless I'm seeing a problem.

I bought my GS350 at 64k and while the Car Fax and Lexus Owner service records showed a lot of services being done at 58k, plugs were not one of them. So I think I'll monitor for bad engine performance and watch historical gas mileage and as long as things seem good, not sure there is a reason to change the plugs.

On the brake fluid, I've seen vehement arguments against changing the brake fluid but for me, it's cheap and easy to do so why not?

On the coolant, not sure there is any need as first change is at 100k. As long as you keep it full and it's clear, pink and free of any debris, I'd call it good.

Transmission fluid change is another contentious topic and there are those on both sides. I'm of the opinion that it should be changed at around 60k miles. I'm just approaching 70k miles and haven't done it yet but I'm getting ready to. This would not be a big deal if not for the fact that these have no dipstick and they are pretty annoying to change the fluid on. There are a lot of threads on it for the details.

BTW, for those interested, here is what the Lexus Service Guide says for a 2013 GS350. I've seen people arguing about how people call these "sealed" transmissions etc so this might clear that up; or not. It also shows that Toyota/Lexus don't intend for the ATF to ever be replaced which seems crazy to me.:
Transmission/Transfer Case Inspect transmission/transfer case for signs of leakage. If you discover any leakage, have it repaired immediately by a qualified technician. Note: The transmission/transfer case and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Any repairs that require adding or replacing fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications.

ECL 04-19-19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by PlPete (Post 10497573)

Sorry, but the GS350 does not have a timing belt.