GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stiff/Locked Steering Wheel on Highway - Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 09:21 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stiff/Locked Steering Wheel on Highway - Normal?

Hey Guys, tried searching but couldn't really find anything. I'm a new GS owner, previously owned e92 and an IS250.

Not sure how to best explain this but I was driving the GS yesterday (2015 model) and I noticed on the freeway the steering got "stuck" and I had to somewhat forcefully move it right to get it unstuck? It didn't happen all the time but it did occur a few times at the end of my 2 hour drive to San Diego. Has this happened to anyone else before or is this just normal behavior. It seemed to only happen when I was cruising around 60-80MPH. Basically at times (not every time), I had to put more than normal effort to turn the steering wheel (driving in ECO).

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-18-19, 09:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I'm going with "not normal".
Old 02-18-19, 09:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew
Hey Guys, tried searching but couldn't really find anything. I'm a new GS owner, previously owned e92 and an IS250.

Not sure how to best explain this but I was driving the GS yesterday (2015 model) and I noticed on the freeway the steering got "stuck" and I had to somewhat forcefully move it right to get it unstuck? It didn't happen all the time but it did occur a few times at the end of my 2 hour drive to San Diego. Has this happened to anyone else before or is this just normal behavior. It seemed to only happen when I was cruising around 60-80MPH. Basically at times (not every time), I had to put more than normal effort to turn the steering wheel (driving in ECO).

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
That is definitely not normal and could result in the cause of an accident.

I'd say either your electric steering (assist) motor has an issue, or you have an issue with something on the steering rack. You most definitely have a problem ... because it should never react the way you describe. Continuing to drive the car with that steering issue could be dangerous.

Has the car ever been involved in an accident? If so, something could have been overlooked during the repair.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (02-18-19)
Old 02-18-19, 10:19 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Nope bought it last month certified pre owned. I'll schedule an appointment with the dealership.
Old 02-18-19, 10:38 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

What about LKA? If it’s on, you would feel some resistance when changing lanes... that’s the reason I typically keep mine off, so far.
Old 02-18-19, 10:41 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

My car doesn't have LKA from my knowledge but I initially thought that as well.
Old 02-18-19, 10:54 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

I have 2015 CPO L-Certified, stock, and have never had that issue. I second that this is not normal and is dangerous, I'd go yell at the dealer to fix this before you get into an accident.
Old 02-21-19, 10:17 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

wanted to bump this thread back up. just dropped my car off at lexus and tech said its "normal" but they'll have someone diagnose. they said it costs $200 for their tech for diagnostics even though I have warranty, which I was a bit surprised about. I don't ever remember paying a tech to run diagnostics back when I had my old IS so I'm assuming this is a new thing they implemented.
Old 02-21-19, 12:52 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wanted to bump this thread back up. just dropped my car off at lexus and tech said its "normal" but they'll have someone diagnose. they said it costs $200 for their tech for diagnostics even though I have warranty, which I was a bit surprised about. I don't ever remember paying a tech to run diagnostics back when I had my old IS so I'm assuming this is a new thing they implemented.
Please let us know which dealer this is so I can avoid going to them.
Old 02-21-19, 12:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Lord help me the day my car steering wheel locks up on the highway and the service department tells me it's "normal" but they'll take a look at it for $200.
Old 02-21-19, 01:12 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Beverly Hills Lexus.

He said because he's driving the car after work hours to replicate the highway driving, we have to pay him for his time which is $199.
Old 02-21-19, 01:22 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,141 Likes on 845 Posts

The GS does have speed sensitive steering you expect that the steering is 'stiffer" when the speed is higher and "softer" when you are parking or at low speeds for maneuvering. The GS is listed as having the following Steering feature as standard: "Electric Power Steering (EPS): Vehicle speed-sensing rack and pinion with electric power assist; integrated with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system."

Maybe the computer, VDIM or steering wheel sensors are malfunctioning. But I really think $200 for a diagnostic fee on a car that has a warranty is kinda bogus...take it to another dealership. This is a safety concern that shouldn't cost you a dime (just my two cents).

Also: Why can't they drive during standard service department hours? That excuse to get you to pay $200 for them say its normal sounds off...

Last edited by AJLex19; 02-21-19 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 01:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Beverly Hills Lexus.

He said because he's driving the car after work hours to replicate the highway driving, we have to pay him for his time which is $199.
OP - I'd go to a different Lexus dealership's service department and see how they handle it. If that's not convenient or possible - I would tell the Beverly Hills Lexus service manager the advice (you were told it is 'normal') and the expected charge (of $200) to diagnose the problem is totally unacceptable ... and that they are making a BIG MISTAKE if they continue with that position. If the Beverly Hills Lexus service manager asks you why you are saying it would be a big mistake - tell him/her that you intend to let everyone possible know about the dangerous issue through both private and public statements, including local media. If the Beverly Hills service manager sticks with what you were previously told I'd make plans to get rid of the car and next time DO NOT buy a Lexus - buy a different brand.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Lord help me the day my car steering wheel locks up on the highway and the service department tells me it's "normal" but they'll take a look at it for $200.
I agree - that the service department saying it's 'normal' is the dumbest thing I've heard recently, especially because it sounds like it could potentially be DANGEROUS to drive the car.
Old 02-21-19, 01:38 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

$199 for his time to use your car to drive home after work, and drive to work the next day, using your gas. What a great deal! You are getting the $199 from the dealership for this "diagnostic"/rental service, right?

Beverly Hills explains it all, unfortunately the typical lexus driver that rolls in there will believe whatever the service advisor says, and has no problems paying it either.
Cooled seats not working well? No problem, that'll be a coolant refill for $500.
Squeaks coming from the car? Probably just a Mickey Mouse or two, we'll call the exterminator for that. $800
Old 02-21-19, 01:42 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

I basically said WTF why am I paying $200 when I have warranty and he said it is standard procedure. He compared it to having health insurance and seeing a doctor. His tech won't be able to test during work hours and replicate the scenario of cruising around 60-80MPH. He will only be able to do this after work hours which incurs the $200 cost. If they replicate the issue, the $200 will not be charged to me. I didn't have time to take it to another dealer so I said to just do it because I needed to get back to work. I

Quick Reply: Stiff/Locked Steering Wheel on Highway - Normal?