lexusfan1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eek sucks make dad pay for it
Old 10-13-15, 02:19 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ He's probably the kind of dad that will say "just let me know what it costs to fix my mistake and I'll take care of it".
Old 10-13-15, 04:03 PM
Voogru
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by user420
^^^ He's probably the kind of dad that will say "just let me know what it costs to fix my mistake and I'll take care of it".
Haha, I wish!

He drives my old 2009 Camry.

It was a stroke of luck that he was able to pay for the damage though, under ordinary circumstances, I'd be footing the bill, because I don't want to make an insurance claim unless I absolutely have to.
Old 10-14-15, 02:04 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
The GS 350 has the 'Hill Assist' feature, which I have only tested a few times.

To activate the 'Hill Assist' feature: Come to a full stop, and press VERY hard (literally) on the brake pedal until you see the Hill Assist icon (actually the Traction Control light) appear in the instrument display.

Removing your foot completely off the brake pedal will disable the Hill Assist feature within a few seconds, or pressing on the gas pedal will disable the feature also. However, by continuing to apply a moderate amount of pressure on the brake pedal will retain the Hill Assist feature.

This is a feature I never use...and have only tested a few times. For me, the 'Hill Assist' feature is worthless. Maybe in mountainous and other very hilly areas (e.g. San Francisco), the feature would be handy to have.
Hi, that is hill start assist that you mentioned. what i was referring to is the hold function. The NX in Singapore has this feature. activate this function and the car will hold on to the brake by itself when you come to a complete stop without having to depress the brake pedal. it will deactivate when you step on the accelerator, a friendly/comfort function in city driving where there are so many traffic light. I would think that this function will help avoid this minor accident discussed here. looks like the NX in the US don't have this?
Old 10-14-15, 06:38 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GS250
Hi, that is hill start assist that you mentioned. what i was referring to is the hold function. The NX in Singapore has this feature. activate this function and the car will hold on to the brake by itself when you come to a complete stop without having to depress the brake pedal. it will deactivate when you step on the accelerator, a friendly/comfort function in city driving where there are so many traffic light. I would think that this function will help avoid this minor accident discussed here. looks like the NX in the US don't have this?
The NX in the US does have this. I had it as a loan car and found it very convenient. Hope the hold feature makes it into the refreshed GS350.
Old 10-14-15, 07:39 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Based on the picture, the truck driver CLEARLY did not have his hitch installed. Only the receiver that is bolted to the frame. I hate when people leave the hitch/ball attached, sticking out, waiting for my knee to smash it.
Old 10-14-15, 09:40 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The NX in the US does have this. I had it as a loan car and found it very convenient. Hope the hold feature makes it into the refreshed GS350.
The 4G GS450h includes this "Hold" feature as standard. The sticker says ""Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with AUTO and HOLD features""

It actually come to be quite useful in congestion/traffic, hence why it makes sense to feature it with the hybrid.

I've tried it out while waiting in a drive through, haha!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-14-15, 10:42 AM
kpxshorty
Driver School Candidate

Default oh no

oh no,,,nooooo dad no!!!
Old 10-14-15, 09:20 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
i test drive the NX a while back. although the hold fuction was on, i still held on to the brake pedal. to use to it or not trusting that function. haha. I cannot remember if i need to step on the gas harder when backing up if need to than that may be a danger in itself.
Old 10-14-15, 09:32 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
The 4G GS450h includes this "Hold" feature as standard. The sticker says ""Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with AUTO and HOLD features""

It actually come to be quite useful in congestion/traffic, hence why it makes sense to feature it with the hybrid.

I've tried it out while waiting in a drive through, haha!

~ Im2bz2p345
how about backing up when the hold function is engage? do you need to step on the gas harder or it is seamless?
Old 10-15-15, 09:32 AM
akcao
Driver School Candidate

i know how you feel. I let my aunt borrow my last car and she backed into a pole in a parking lot.
Old 10-15-15, 10:29 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

how about backing up when the hold function is engage? do you need to step on the gas harder or it is seamless?
The "hold" feature is only for when you're in drive (or neutral - according to the manual), not reverse.. so you can't back up when it's active. Not sure why you would want to do that anyway, lol.

You do need to step on the gas better a little more to disengage it. That's probably done so you don't just accidentally tap it & the car starts moving forward.

Overall, it works well. Hope this helps.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-15-15, 12:12 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
The "hold" feature is only for when you're in drive (or neutral - according to the manual), not reverse.. so you can't back up when it's active. Not sure why you would want to do that anyway, lol.

You do need to step on the gas better a little more to disengage it. That's probably done so you don't just accidentally tap it & the car starts moving forward.

Overall, it works well. Hope this helps.

~ Im2bz2p345
Sounds like what people did in the old days to set the rear tyres a smoking on a Dodge Charger: hold the brake and step on the gas while suddenly releasing the brake pedal. Now you don't have to hold the brake - any chance you can have that fun with this gadget?