GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Jump Ship? Dirty Thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 10:19 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jump Ship? Dirty Thoughts.

It's been a year almost with my GS. It's been an alright car. Have had worse, have had better. I still enjoy driving it, that is true. But I'm tired of it. And I'm tired of the stupid issues that it has. Things like the whistle that you hear once about 65mph. The loud buzz that the intake makes under hard acceleration. They can't duplicate. Took a tech for a ride and they think it's normal. Something in the roof is creaking and popping and my sunroof is leaking again. There's a few other small issues that can't seem to be resolved.

I've been pondering the idea of an IS 350 F Sport or NX F Sport. Yeah I know in terms of quality those are a step down. But honestly I think they have more attractive looking interiors regardless of lower quality material. I think the dash (aside from the awesome huge nav screen) and seats are ugly in the GS.

Just a thought. I guess I'd put it out there for you guys to talk me out or into it lol
Old 07-20-15, 10:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
It's been a year almost with my GS. It's been an alright car. Have had worse, have had better. I still enjoy driving it, that is true. But I'm tired of it. And I'm tired of the stupid issues that it has. Things like the whistle that you hear once about 65mph. The loud buzz that the intake makes under hard acceleration. They can't duplicate. Took a tech for a ride and they think it's normal. Something in the roof is creaking and popping and my sunroof is leaking again. There's a few other small issues that can't seem to be resolved.

I've been pondering the idea of an IS 350 F Sport or NX F Sport. Yeah I know in terms of quality those are a step down. But honestly I think they have more attractive looking interiors regardless of lower quality material. I think the dash (aside from the awesome huge nav screen) and seats are ugly in the GS.

Just a thought. I guess I'd put it out there for you guys to talk me out or into it lol
After a short while,I think you'll be sorry with those choices.Especially the NX.Completely different vehicle.
Go with another brand.Make a complete change.
Old 07-20-15, 10:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Sorry that you've been having so many unresolved issues with your ride. I totally understand how frustrating it is to have these little issues. Had the same problem of little issues on my 2013...luckily my 2015 has been pretty good (knock on wood). Maybe time to upgrade to a newer one (2016 model)?

I have to disagree about the GS dash being boring. IMO it looks way better than the IS and NX, especially with their smaller, tablet tacked-on dash look, and the cheap, hard plastic is more apparent throughout their interior. And the most obvious thing when moving to the IS will be how tight the interior will feel. The GS seems to be the perfect size, not too big and not too small.
I wouldn't say the GS seats are ugly...just a little boring compared to the IS and NX seats. The GS seats are extremely comfortable though and have much more adjustments than the IS and NX. Not to mention...they are seats, you'll be sitting in them not staring at them.
Could the GS use some improvements? Of course, but I wouldn't move down the line.

Last edited by dchar; 07-20-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-20-15, 10:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have a '14 IS350 and love it, though I've been considering swapping it out for a GS as I wouldn't mind a bit more room for my family. In fact, I was just looking at the GS this past weekend. I'm having a hard time taking the plunge.

I definitely would not say the IS has lower quality than the GS, unless you are referring to the expense of interior materials? Yes, the GS does have more expensive materials, for sure, and the large nav screen is great, though I find the one in my IS just fine. The IS has hard plastic on the doors and areas of the console that are padded on the GS. The dash on the IS does have some stitched vinyl, but less than the GS. Overall I have no interior complaints. It's a great place to spend time.

In almost 2 years and 13k miles, I have not had a single issue or warranty repair, other than the sometimes slow to respond infotainment system.

The GS drives and handles fantastically (like a smaller car than it is), yet the IS is just a tad lighter and more fun, in my opinion.

Both are great looking sedans, though I appreciate what I perceive as a more aggressive look on the IS. I'm having a hard time giving that up for a GS. The IS also has the split folding rear seat which comes in handy at times.

If you haven't already, just go drive one and see what you think.

Last edited by JDR76; 07-20-15 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-20-15, 11:16 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I got a base NX 200t for a loaner the other day and it's not in the same class as the GS, both comfort and power. When I got back in my GS it feels different.

A guy at work just swapped his IS350 to an RC350 after about a year I think.
Old 07-20-15, 11:28 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

NX is front wheel drive or AWD with front wheel bias if that makes a difference for you.

A change from GS to IS or RC is something I can see. Not a GS or IS to NX.
Old 07-20-15, 11:53 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm. Maybe I need an RC F

I like the GS. But I don't like mine. I think that's the issue. I should probably hold off until the refreshed one comes out, before I make any decisions.

I have been looking at a few other rides as well. I'm not really sure if I even want a car anymore. An SUV would really be nice.. And it's temping when all of my friends and family drive trucks and SUVs.
Old 07-20-15, 11:56 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Just as the GS, both NX and IS are definitely nice cars in their segments. They're made for different people/purposes IMO. For me, they are both a bit too small. Give GX a try. You may be surprised.

Originally Posted by dchar
...The GS seats are extremely comfortable though and have much more adjustments than the IS and NX. Not to mention...they are seats, you'll be sitting in them not staring at them.
Could the GS use some improvements? Of course, but I wouldn't move down the line.
No kidding! GS has the most comfortable seat Lexus has made to this date. I even have hard time justifying (the additional payment) to move up.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, the GS does have more expensive materials, for sure, and the large nav screen is great, though I find the one in my IS just fine.
The problem is not the IS but rather the GS. Once you've gotten used to the giant screen, it feels awkward to go back to a smaller screen.

Last edited by 1111GS; 07-20-15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 12:07 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

^^All very solid points. And I've never looked at a GX, I'll check it out.

Edit: Definitely do not like the GX.
Old 07-20-15, 12:08 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Give the others a drive around the block, get your fill...and you may want to come back. Who knows?

I did see a fully loaded NX F-Sport in a sexy blue color, a few days ago. I did have a couple dirty thoughts.
Old 07-20-15, 12:11 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Give the others a drive around the block, get your fill...and you may want to come back. Who knows?
Great advice I'm going to check out an X5 this evening.
Old 07-20-15, 12:15 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

New X5's door and its materials feels cheap.

Open the driver door and look at the materials used there. Then look at the dash materials. For some reason they just feel light and plasticky.
Old 07-20-15, 12:17 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL. I've been giving the X6 M Sport a long look, also. But I've owned two BMW's in the past and I'm weary of the maintenance issues. Time (in the shop) is money.
Old 07-20-15, 12:28 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

While you're there, check out the 5 series. Not sure wether its getting a refresh this fall or not though. If your wallet allows a loaded 535, 70-75k, they are REALLY nice.
Old 07-20-15, 12:35 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by islandbeef
LOL. I've been giving the X6 M Sport a long look, also. But I've owned two BMW's in the past and I'm weary of the maintenance issues. Time (in the shop) is money.
I lease so I'm counting on alot of time in their loaners.

Quick Reply: Jump Ship? Dirty Thoughts.