GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wiper Deicer - where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 05:54 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Deicer - where is it?

I have the FSport with cold weather package. It says it has a wiper deicer on it but I can't find it for the life of me. On my 2013 ES 350 the wiper deicer was on the climate screen. No such option on the climate screen. I left my owners manual in my office and search has been fruitless. Anyone point me in the right direction?

When I picked up this car I just asked for a walkthrough of any feature differences between the ES and RS. This never came up. Neither did the fact that there is no emergency brake pedal. Of course I didn't find that out til I needed it.
Old 02-06-14, 05:56 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be on the climate screen, but only when you have that on the main (big) display on the left side of the screen. The smaller climate screen on the right side of the display doesn't have this button.
Old 02-06-14, 06:16 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by FishBike
It should be on the climate screen, but only when you have that on the main (big) display on the left side of the screen. The smaller climate screen on the right side of the display doesn't have this button.
Ah that could be the issue. It sure would have been convenient to have it on the right side of the display as there is room for it. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-06-14, 07:16 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

Yes, on the big Climate screen, middle of the bottom.
Takes forever to get to.
Old 02-06-14, 08:24 PM
IS340
Driver School Candidate

I agree difficult to find. Had to use it today for the first time. Pretty easy after I figured it out: here are the steps

1-Press "Menu"
2-Select Climate
3-Select Windshield with wiper (bottom of screen)

Not to impress with it, kinda takes a long time to work.
Old 02-07-14, 06:10 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS340
I agree difficult to find. Had to use it today for the first time. Pretty easy after I figured it out: here are the steps

1-Press "Menu"
2-Select Climate
3-Select Windshield with wiper (bottom of screen)

Not to impress with it, kinda takes a long time to work.
I actually found it to work pretty quickly earlier this week. I had parked my car during a snowstorm, and when I came home, the wipers were embedded in ice. Turned on the wiper heat and by the time I'd brushed the snow off the car (2 minutes max) the heated area was clear of ice and the wipers were working fine (though still had a lot of ice on them, just not at the edge of the wiper blade).
Old 02-07-14, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
Neither did the fact that there is no emergency brake pedal. Of course I didn't find that out til I needed it.
Just want to make sure you know that the car DOES have a parking brake. The control is to the right of the steering wheel, its set to AUTO so it engages the parking brake automatically and disengages it automatically, or you can engage it manually with the button.
Old 02-07-14, 06:37 AM
IS340
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FishBike
I actually found it to work pretty quickly earlier this week. I had parked my car during a snowstorm, and when I came home, the wipers were embedded in ice. Turned on the wiper heat and by the time I'd brushed the snow off the car (2 minutes max) the heated area was clear of ice and the wipers were working fine (though still had a lot of ice on them, just not at the edge of the wiper blade).
The wiper insert still had ice on it, I thought it would somewhat melt off. I did look at the grid, when I got home and the area stayed clear. I had more ice than snow. I just expect it to boil off, lol. Love the feature
Old 02-07-14, 09:41 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Just want to make sure you know that the car DOES have a parking brake. The control is to the right of the steering wheel, its set to AUTO so it engages the parking brake automatically and disengages it automatically, or you can engage it manually with the button.
Yep found the button. Can't figure out why it wouldn't always be set to auto, but that is the subject for another thread!
Old 02-07-14, 10:10 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but I can't find it for the life of me
Wish I had that as the physical button instead of the rear ventilation delete button. It is not something you want to do when driving in city traffic. I get my wife or kids to turn it on for me when driving.
Old 02-07-14, 10:39 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorta off topic, but has anyone noticed how bad the factory windshield wiper fluid is? It's blue, leaves stains on the ejectors, and quite literally freezes to the windshield because the water content is so high. Ridiculously bad. Is it just my car?
Old 02-07-14, 08:36 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Lightbulb

Can't figure out why [the parking brake] wouldn't always be set to auto
I drive my GS at the track, and also autocross it. One thing you most definitely do not want to do at the track or autocross is set the parking brake because when they are really hot, the rear brake pads can 'weld' themselves to the rotors. So I like the fact that I can leave it in auto 99% of the time, but also keep the option to turn that feature off at autocross and track days.
Old 02-08-14, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Yep found the button. Can't figure out why it wouldn't always be set to auto, but that is the subject for another thread!
I don't see anything wrong with giving people the option...once you set it to Auto it stays in Auto.
Old 02-08-14, 11:51 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I often choose to keep in manual mode when very cold and wet in case water freezes the emergency brake overnight. At least that is what I learned many many years ago, when my parking brake froze and would not disengage. Maybe technology and design eliminates that risk these days but it is a pain when it happens. I like having the option.
Old 02-08-14, 12:04 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nismo
I drive my GS at the track, and also autocross it. One thing you most definitely do not want to do at the track or autocross is set the parking brake because when they are really hot, the rear brake pads can 'weld' themselves to the rotors. So I like the fact that I can leave it in auto 99% of the time, but also keep the option to turn that feature off at autocross and track days.
Originally Posted by dougm213
I often choose to keep in manual mode when very cold and wet in case water freezes the emergency brake overnight. At least that is what I learned many many years ago, when my parking brake froze and would not disengage. Maybe technology and design eliminates that risk these days but it is a pain when it happens. I like having the option.
I just created another thread with this question. You both gave good answers on why not to have it set all the time. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Wiper Deicer - where is it?