Car reading back e-mails

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 11:24 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
I found it on my EVO 3D in the following option screen
Menu, settings, wireless & networks, (enable bluetooth), click bluetooth settings, , advanced settings, enable message access (checkbox), , and then, the "message access settings" below that should become enabled. Click on that and select "Email" and/or "SMS"

It should be similar for the Bionic (what version of android are you on? I'm on 2.3.4)

From https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ic---bluetooth
Bluetooth MAP is supported on BIONIC. However, its limited to MMS/SMS read/write from the car kit. Email functionality is not supported.

Edit: EGS350 beat me to it while I was typing my response! lol!
Danke! I'm on Android 2.3.4 too.

...now I have to figure out how to get my car to read my txts back to me...
Old 05-01-12, 01:13 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gern geschehen

Did you find those settings on your bionic? And if so, did setting those get the car to automatically read the texts back to you? (I'm out of town, so can't verify the functionality yet).

Hopefully, this setting on the phone does the trick. If not, I'll probably have to take the extra step of un-pairing and re-pairing with this setting enabled.
Old 05-01-12, 02:16 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Gern geschehen

Did you find those settings on your bionic? And if so, did setting those get the car to automatically read the texts back to you? (I'm out of town, so can't verify the functionality yet).

Hopefully, this setting on the phone does the trick. If not, I'll probably have to take the extra step of un-pairing and re-pairing with this setting enabled.
No... I guess I'm slow?!?
Old 05-01-12, 02:45 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

These settings aren't on the bionic?
Old 05-01-12, 04:23 PM
faifai83
Instructor

These settings aren't on the bionic?
...I can't seem to find them...so no?
Old 05-04-12, 04:57 PM
bumski667
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boo..not on my galaxy nexus (verizon) either...
Old 05-07-12, 05:19 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by faifai83
...I can't seem to find them...so no?
sorry - was out of town and just got to a place with web access.

"Menu, settings, wireless & networks, (enable bluetooth), click bluetooth settings, , advanced settings, enable message access (checkbox), , and then, the "message access settings" below that should become enabled. Click on that and select "Email" and/or "SMS""

Which setting are you unable to find? I don't have a bionic, but from what I had read on Motorola's site, it should have these settings (or similar settings)
Old 05-07-12, 07:16 AM
faifai83
Instructor

sorry - was out of town and just got to a place with web access.

"Menu, settings, wireless & networks, (enable bluetooth), click bluetooth settings, , advanced settings, enable message access (checkbox), , and then, the "message access settings" below that should become enabled. Click on that and select "Email" and/or "SMS""

Which setting are you unable to find? I don't have a bionic, but from what I had read on Motorola's site, it should have these settings (or similar settings)
Under Bluetooth Settings, I only have
- Bluetooth (on/off)
- Device Name
- Discoverable
- Scan for Devices
- List of Bluetooth Devices...
Old 05-07-12, 12:47 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

darn... sorry, no clue where that setting is. Maybe try call your service provider and ask how to enable that. Per the motorola link in my earlier post, the bionic should be able to transfer text messages to the car.
Old 05-07-12, 11:52 PM
mikli
Rookie

Update soon?
Old 05-08-12, 10:50 AM
Liferules
Driver

Agree with all who can't find the setting. I am on ICS 4.04 and can't seem to figure out how to enable...
Old 05-08-12, 10:47 PM
danjb
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got really excited when I saw these posts, as I had no idea the GS could perform anything like this function. I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and of course the stock phone doesn't have MAP profile support. I saw this post which said it's in the latest Cyanogen rom nightly builds as of late April, though, so I tried the latest nightly build with no luck. This change entry shows the actual additional of the feature.

I saw Ford and BMW users are able to get this to work... Has anyone gotten a Galaxy Nexus to work with a Lexus? The two rhyme, you'd think that would give us an edge!
Old 05-09-12, 05:19 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by danjb
I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and of course the stock phone doesn't have MAP profile support.
Glad you posted this now - and saved me research time! I have been debating about getting a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint (Vs. the new EVO)

Do the calls transfer thru' to the car ok though on the Galaxy Nexus?
Old 05-09-12, 06:15 AM
danjb
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do the calls transfer thru' to the car ok though on the Galaxy Nexus?
So far, in my experience, the Galaxy Nexus works well with the GS 350. Calls appear to work well, as does bluetooth audio/music (which I use to listen to the Audible book player). I'm also able to use the phone's data connection to enable the Enform apps like Pandora and Bing.

My only complaint on the latter is where I am, my Galaxy Nexus doesn't seem to maintain a data connection to Verizon very well. I can't say whether this is particular to my phone or area, but while I get great data speeds on 4G, the Galaxy Nexus doesn't seem to make a 3G data connection as easily as my wife's older Droid X, for example, which only does 3G. As a result, where 4G service is spotty (a lot of places), the Galaxy Nexus will say "no data service" while the Droid X has a reliable 3G connection. I don't know if this is a problem with my settings or some other limitation, though.
Old 05-09-12, 06:21 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks danjb

Quick Reply: Car reading back e-mails