GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016 gs pinch weld flat pad jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 11:14 AM
Nahpun350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2016 gs pinch weld flat pad jack stands

Hello everyone, I've been using the harbor freight 3 ton stands with the pinch weld pads. I recently got the Esco style with the flat pads.

I don't want to crush the pinch welds, would it be ok to place the flat pads to the inside and against the pinch weld itself or should I got an adapter to put on top of the flat pad?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-24, 11:15 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I use these
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-24, 04:54 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Nahpun350
Hello everyone, I've been using the harbor freight 3 ton stands with the pinch weld pads. I recently got the Esco style with the flat pads.

I don't want to crush the pinch welds, would it be ok to place the flat pads to the inside and against the pinch weld itself or should I got an adapter to put on top of the flat pad?

Thanks.
Use an adapter. Don't want this to happen to you.. check the 4:00 mark.
Old 04-02-24, 10:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Nahpun350

Thanks.
Unlike the video above, I only use my anodized aluminium hydraulic jack at the front axle center of the front subframe [in front of the oil pan], and beneath the rear differential - lifting up the entire front or the entire rear axle.
I have a set of four (4) aluminium jack stands - one for each wheel - to do quick wheel and tire rotations.

Originally, I was lazy with my 3GS and just rested the pinch welds directly on my flat square headed jack stands - so the jack stands instantly flattened the four pinch welds on my 3GS - I had to use a pair of pliers to try to bend the pinch welds back, and to this day, it remains permanently deformed and an eye sore.

Later, I did try rectangular rubber blocks for the pinch welds, however the pinch welds quickly cut the rubber blocks into two pieces!
Hence, I ultimately purchased a set of four (4) anodized aluminium P2M rectangular pinch weld adaptors to fit on my squared headed jack stands.
FRAME RAIL JACK ADAPTERS (phase2motortrend.com)

If I did raise the vehicle by applying the jack to the four pinch weld areas like the video above, then I would only use the OEM scissor jack in the trunk which has a dedicated V-groove to protect the pinch welds - albeit assisted by a motorized drill, or a motorized impact driver, or motorized impact torque wrench etc.
I still prefer using a hydraulic jack and jack stands to lift the entire front or rear axle up for brake pad and rotor servicing.

For lube service - I use Race Ramps [below] with Race Ramps rubber chocks - fabricated from the same material used in the Space Shuttle.
Garage & Service Ramps (raceramps.com)
Garage & Service Chocks (raceramps.com)

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-03-24 at 01:57 PM.