GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 08:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by waygreen
Any chance you have a link for that hitch?
I don't have any links, but just ask your local Lexus dealer.

Originally Posted by Cwang
The last time I looked I thought I saw the usual *excludes Fsport* next to the listing. I'll have another look. Most towbar suppliers here don't have anything for the GS at all
I believe you; it may exclude the F Sport.

Many years ago, I was after a tow hitch for the 3.5GS, and I think the luxury version was excluded, or something like that...
Old 02-06-19, 06:16 PM
GS350AX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Rack for GS

Have had bad experiences with trunk mounted bike racks on two luxury cars. Can be stable and secure but regular use left slight indentations in trunk lid where rubber mounts pressed on metal. Hitch mounted rack is way to go but Lexus officially says no hitch for GS350. Has anyone used a third party hitch successfully? If so, which one?
Old 02-06-19, 09:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350AX
Have had bad experiences with trunk mounted bike racks on two luxury cars. Can be stable and secure but regular use left slight indentations in trunk lid where rubber mounts pressed on metal. Hitch mounted rack is way to go but Lexus officially says no hitch for GS350. Has anyone used a third party hitch successfully? If so, which one?
Are you sure?
Or do you mean no hitch for the F Sport only?
There is obviously a hitch in the photo above.
Old 02-07-19, 05:47 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an appt at the dealer this Saturday so I will ask the parts dept. Based on the owner's manual, I'm thinking the picture is from Europe.
Old 02-07-19, 07:20 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Question: Why would anyone want to spend their time riding that 2-wheeled human foot powered contraption when you've got a 300+hp Lexus with way better amenities that requires significantly less effort to operate?

J/K

But really, the GS wasn't meant to haul around anything, and that rack doesn't look particularly safe. Look at the two contact points on the bumper, it's neither level nor mounted flush. A few big bumps and off it goes.
Old 02-09-19, 10:51 PM
Lpn26
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Roof rack

Why not get a roof rack instead.
Old 02-10-19, 04:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by waygreen
OEM tow hitches are available for 4GS aren't they?

Any chance you have a link for that hitch?[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the pictures from?
What tow hitch is this?
Old 02-10-19, 09:29 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was at the dealership yesterday and asked the parts dept about it. No dice. I'm going to be emailing some dealerships in the UK to see if that's where they're from. If it is, the problem will be that their tow ***** are something like 1mm smaller than an US 2" ball.
Old 02-10-19, 09:45 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 531 Likes on 387 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by er34
Question: Why would anyone want to spend their time riding that 2-wheeled human foot powered contraption when you've got a 300+hp Lexus with way better amenities that requires significantly less effort to operate?

J/K

But really, the GS wasn't meant to haul around anything, and that rack doesn't look particularly safe. Look at the two contact points on the bumper, it's neither level nor mounted flush. A few big bumps and off it goes.
Because in 12 years that will be his only mode of transportation. All of our GS's are going to be history. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get to Hawaii then.
Old 02-11-19, 12:49 PM
02REX
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i was at the dealer a few weeks ago and they make a non traditional bike rack for the roof! I was interested but I don't ride as much to want one. I think it was a third party option but you buy through the dealer.
Old 02-11-19, 01:58 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Etrailer has receiver hitches for the 4GS and bike racks that will fit them: https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_Lexus_GS+350.htm

The hitches sold by etrailer for the 4GS have 1 1/4 inch receivers so plan on using an anti-rattle pin to stabilize a hitch mounted bike rack. I've bought a number of 1 1/4" and 2" trailer hitches, bike racks and towing accessories from etrailer including for Lexus LS.

We currently have both the 2-bike (1 1/4" hitch) and 4-bike (2" hitch) versions of the Reece/Pro-Fit hanging bike racks - both purchased from etrailer. These solid, inexpensive bike racks take up very little storage space but require using straps to stabilize the bikes. The 2-bike version is currently around $92.

The tow bar with the Lexus logo pictured above fits only the European standard hitch. European Lexus dealers sell a 2-bike platform rack to fit the European standard receiver.

IMO, hitch mounted bike racks have significant advantages over roof bike racks including much easier loading, no wind noise, less risk of vehicle damage. I can attach and lock a bike rack to one of our receiver hitches in about 60 seconds. It takes me far longer to attach a roof bike rack.
Old 06-29-21, 12:03 AM
Andruu
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Options for transporting a bike

Hey guys, I bought a mountain bike recently and I'm trying to find the best option for transporting it with my GS. After searching the forum I think most people either use a trunk bike rack or install a hitch. With the trunk bike rack, I'm worried about scratching up the paint. And as for hitches, I haven't seen that many options that look clean (please post some pics if you have a hitch). So, I'm considering just taking off both wheels and trying to fit it in the trunk. If you have a bike, how do you transport it with your GS?
Old 06-29-21, 07:00 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 224 Posts

What about the Yakima roof rack system? I was actually looking at them over the weekend because I wanted to get back into riding. There is only one system that I see from their site that will work on the GS.
Old 06-29-21, 09:27 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Thule has also been used by a few other members
Old 06-29-21, 09:53 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

With my road bike, I take off both wheels and shove it in the trunk. HOWEVER, with my dirty mountain bike, I borrow my friend's trunk mount and use that. To ensure no scratches when using the rack mount, I use a microfiber towel wherever the rack contacts the car.

Quick Reply: Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)