GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buying a 2009 GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 11:54 AM
cgordon111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2009 GS

Hi guys, I知 thinking of buying a 2009 GS and would like to know your experience with this vehicle, what to look for, and any problems people had with this model. The vehicle has 88,000 miles. I currently own a RX model but I知 not familiar with this model. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-16-19, 08:41 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

They are great solid cars. Do your due diligence as I. Any car. I love getting receipts. Main wear item on this car is the water pump. Everything else is normal maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
cgordon111 (02-16-19)
Old 02-19-19, 03:33 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an 09' GS350 with 165k on it. Purchased it (with maintenance records) at 74k. I've replaced the water pump (at 119k) and the alternator at 137k. Replaced the idler pulley and serpentine belt at the same time as the water pump. Replaced everything else at suggested maintenance intervals (air filters, cabin filters, spark plugs, coolant, oil, break fluid, rear differential oil)..and have done this religiously. I've replaced the PVC valve (not failed but just to see if it had an impact on oil consumption) and recently replaced the transmission pan gasket and transmission filter/screen when I changed out the transmission fluid (for the 2nd time since I've owned it). This car has truly been a joy to own and drive daily. I can't say it's as reliable as a well maintained Honda Accord (I've got one with 330k on it)...but it's still a very very reliable car and easily the best quality car i've owned. This thing is just as solid as a rock...even at 95mph on the turnpike. Freaking love the the car. Since I've done every bit of repair/maintenance myself (except for the 2 factory recalls by Lexus, which are free)...I've not spent much on it over the last 90k miles. Tires are the most expense yet. Brake pads were Lexus OEM pads and a bit pricy for pads, but I installed myself so I saved on labor. I will replace the rotors at the next pad change (which is coming up soon) and those will be about $350 or so. I will also look to start replacing some suspension components (struts, etc) to keep the ride as smooth as possible. My only concern is the oil consumption and what may be carbon build-up and how to effectively deal with that. (see other thread on oil consumption). The car runs like a champ and the A/C is legendary. Just absolutely love the car. I'll drive it for another 100k before it gets handed down to one of my boys.
cgordon111 (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 04:45 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
I have an 09' GS350 with 165k on it. Purchased it (with maintenance records) at 74k. I've replaced the water pump (at 119k) and the alternator at 137k. Replaced the idler pulley and serpentine belt at the same time as the water pump. Replaced everything else at suggested maintenance intervals (air filters, cabin filters, spark plugs, coolant, oil, break fluid, rear differential oil)..and have done this religiously. I've replaced the PVC valve (not failed but just to see if it had an impact on oil consumption) and recently replaced the transmission pan gasket and transmission filter/screen when I changed out the transmission fluid (for the 2nd time since I've owned it). This car has truly been a joy to own and drive daily. I can't say it's as reliable as a well maintained Honda Accord (I've got one with 330k on it)...but it's still a very very reliable car and easily the best quality car i've owned. This thing is just as solid as a rock...even at 95mph on the turnpike. Freaking love the the car. Since I've done every bit of repair/maintenance myself (except for the 2 factory recalls by Lexus, which are free)...I've not spent much on it over the last 90k miles. Tires are the most expense yet. Brake pads were Lexus OEM pads and a bit pricy for pads, but I installed myself so I saved on labor. I will replace the rotors at the next pad change (which is coming up soon) and those will be about $350 or so. I will also look to start replacing some suspension components (struts, etc) to keep the ride as smooth as possible. My only concern is the oil consumption and what may be carbon build-up and how to effectively deal with that. (see other thread on oil consumption). The car runs like a champ and the A/C is legendary. Just absolutely love the car. I'll drive it for another 100k before it gets handed down to one of my boys.
Considering the way that you have maintained it, it's not likely that you have much carbon build on the valves/intake as discussed in the oil consumption thread. That issue is typically associated with the 06 GS 300s. Your 09 has both direct and port injectors which pretty much eliminates the carbon issues that plagued the 06s which were only port injected. It's possible that you might have a stuck oil ring or two due to carbon. If so, some have found that pulling the plugs and soaking the cylinders with Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil can free them up and improve the oil consumption issue. I don't have any personal experience with this procedure but I have read about it in other threads here.
cgordon111 (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 08:48 PM
cgordon111
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info gr8fulRed, that is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like you are enjoying your GS. I am making a decision this weekend about the vehicle that I mentioned earlier. I was looking for one with less miles, but this vehicle is clean and the prize is right. The water pump seems to be an issue with these vehicles, but I have been working on cars since I was a teenager and i'm sure it's something I can handle.
Old 02-19-19, 08:52 PM
cgordon111
Driver School Candidate

That was my next question tghw. So, the 2009 GS has direct and port injection? I was trying to find some information on that. I don't think I want to deal with a car that has only direct injection. Also, my wife has a 2011 IS250 with 50,000 mi. Is that engine direct injection only?
Old 02-19-19, 09:50 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cgordon111
That was my next question tghw. So, the 2009 GS has direct and port injection? I was trying to find some information on that. I don't think I want to deal with a car that has only direct injection. Also, my wife has a 2011 IS250 with 50,000 mi. Is that engine direct injection only?
Yes, after all of the problems that they had with the 06 GS300 w/direct injection only, they redesigned the 07 and up GS350 with both direct and port injection to keep the valves clean. I don't have any info on the IS250 but given that it is a 2011, I'd be willing to bet that it is both direct/port injected. Someone else here will know for sure.
Old 02-27-19, 01:11 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cgordon111
Thanks for the info gr8fulRed, that is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like you are enjoying your GS. I am making a decision this weekend about the vehicle that I mentioned earlier. I was looking for one with less miles, but this vehicle is clean and the prize is right. The water pump seems to be an issue with these vehicles, but I have been working on cars since I was a teenager and i'm sure it's something I can handle.

No doubt. I'm NOT a mechanic and only starting doing my own auto maintenance over the past 5 years and I was able to replace the water pump myself. OEM pumps can be found online for under $100. I just watched a few YouTube videos of the entire procedure and followed the script. I made a template from cardboard (outline of the water pump) and used it to keep track of where the bolts go, to make installing the new pump easier. There were a lot of bolts, some 10mm and some 12mm. It took the better part of a Saturday, but to be fair...I'm very slow and meticulous. (just didn't want to goof anything up). It came out great. In my case, my pump wasn't really leaking (the typical sign of failing) but the bearing was growling and I didn't want to take ANY chances, as I've heard that over-heating these motors is easy AND quick, when the pump shells.

The alternator was actually more of a pain...but again, youtube and some OEM diagrams made it doable.

This site has some excellent DIY tutorials for a lot of maintenance on these 350's. Some truly great dudes who were gracious enough to put that work in and post photos to help the group. Always appreciate those who do those!