GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looks like we are getting another recall...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 01:10 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
do you know why the valve spring recall decreased mpg ?

i think i'm able to hit 19 city epa rating.
I don't have the science for it. When I purchase my car, it was brand new and the MPG was in the mid 20's. Immediately after that recall, the MPG dropped big time and everyone complained about it somewhere on this forum.
Old 10-24-18, 08:46 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by potatomon
Ah ok.. If you don't want to venture into the world of car things, find an independent, legit, knowledgeable, respectable mechanic who is time proven. Even better if it's a toyota/lexus only mechanic. Tell them your gs300 is using way more fuel than it needs to and they will perform testing on your car and suggest. You don't wanna blindly throw parts at the car. If the mechanic is good they can diagnose with a high probability a failing component.
ALso some 2006 gses are kinda sorta lemon cars, being the first year an all. They admitted that some 2006 gses require replacement of engine computer and oxygen sensors followed by an OIL CHANGE(!) because the faulty computer/sensors combo dumps way more fuel and it dillutes the oil.

Open your oil cap, does it smell like dat HIGH OCTANE GAS??
Mine is the 08 350. I just went on a 30 mile all highway trip with almost no stop n go traffic and got 14.5mpg. I also just opened the oil cap at your suggestion and if there is a high octane gas smell it is mild. Mostly just a burning oil type smell.
Old 10-24-18, 08:49 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlDavison
I you want to increase your gas milage, one cheap way is to remove the sensor attached to the throttle body housing and spray it with throttle body cleanser until all of the dirty carbon falls-off of it. .
I've already did this at the suggestion of many on here. No difference in MPG. It also wasn't very dirty to begin with. Very frustrating that my all highway mpg is way lower than even what the all city mpg is supposed to be for this car. I love my car so much, but I can't hardly afford to drive it at 11mpg. And this whole "well it's a heavy car with a big engine what do you expect" bull**** I hear from people....give me a break. There is no excuse for 11mpg in this car. NONE.
Old 10-24-18, 08:55 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by EastTnG8r
There is no excuse for 11mpg in this car. NONE.
Yes sir! I agree. Sometimes I fill my tank-up twice a week.
Old 10-24-18, 09:21 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

11 MPG is a serious issue. It could also be dumping gas into the cats hurting them as well.
It is possible during the recall that a hose wasn't put back right or the intake manifold not bolted down correctly, even a missing gasket somewhere. Then air is let in and extra fuel compensated.

That is pretty amateur, newbie DIY work but I'm sure it happens in dealerships under time pressure. And honestly, dealers may take anyone if they really need a body.

A scan tool would reveal fuel trims or other issues. The dealer can do a quick diag or you can search for a reputable shop. Some owners take pride in their work.

If you want to get your hands dirty there are certainly apps (even the toytoa one) for very cheap, and you can post results here. Best thing is fixing it yourself.
Old 10-24-18, 09:26 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by gs350fan
If you want to get your hands dirty there are certainly apps (even the toytoa one) for very cheap, and you can post results here. Best thing is fixing it yourself.
What app is cheap to purchase and will work?
Old 10-24-18, 09:47 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

What app is cheap to purchase and will work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122345775564
There are ones for a few dollars less but he has good reviews.

This tool lets you see TPMS, reprogram keys, etc. It is what Lexus will charge $150-200 to connect.
The following users liked this post:
AlDavison (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 10:33 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Yes sir! I agree. Sometimes I fill my tank-up twice a week.
What does your typical mpg look like and what kind of driving do you do? Admittedly some days I drive a very short route with stop and go traffic, but even that shouldn't justify 11mpg under any circumstance. If it's rated 19mpg city I expect to get somewhere near 19mpg. I can't even get that cruising down the highway at 65mph for an hour.

I never thought in a million years I'd own a V6 sedan that gets 11mpg. I've owned similar equipped sports sedans that get double the gas mileage. I've owned v8 sports cars and V8 trucks that get way better gas mileage. It's pathetic and Lexus should be ashamed of themselves(they aren't).
Old 10-24-18, 10:36 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

11 MPG is a serious issue. It could also be dumping gas into the cats hurting them as well.
It is possible during the recall that a hose wasn't put back right or the intake manifold not bolted down correctly, even a missing gasket somewhere. Then air is let in and extra fuel compensated.

That is pretty amateur, newbie DIY work but I'm sure it happens in dealerships under time pressure. And honestly, dealers may take anyone if they really need a body.

A scan tool would reveal fuel trims or other issues. The dealer can do a quick diag or you can search for a reputable shop. Some owners take pride in their work.

My car has always gotten ****ty gas mileage. It just seems a little worse after the recall. But I was never getting above 13mpg as it was. Where I live there are no good independent mechanics within 30 miles. There is a Toyota dealer down the road but I know they will overcharge me for what could potentially be nothing wrong.
Old 10-24-18, 10:42 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122345775564
There are ones for a few dollars less but he has good reviews.

This tool lets you see TPMS, reprogram keys, etc. It is what Lexus will charge $150-200 to connect.
You are going to be looking for pending codes, fuel trims at idle, 1500, and 2500 rpm, misfires, etc.

Do a bit of reading on fuel trims, there are good videos on YT by scannerdanner and others. You have to understand fuel control, vacuum leaks, etc.

It is important to have knowledge with an older or even newer car, unless you like being taken advantage of. You are at the mercy of the tech and he could cost you thousands if he don't know what he is doing. You can get factory parts on ebay for real cheap, at the dealer everything is marked up and a $50 sensor ends up as a $700 bill. The less you know the better customer you are!

Sometimes an ECU can be bad, dumping fuel, but I think with that tool you could buy a used one and recode it to your car.
Old 10-24-18, 10:44 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

My car has always gotten ****ty gas mileage. It just seems a little worse after the recall. But I was never getting above 13mpg as it was. Where I live there are no good independent mechanics within 30 miles. There is a Toyota dealer down the road but I know they will overcharge me for what could potentially be nothing wrong.
Honestly I have unbelievable mileage after the recall and some exhaust work. 23.3- and I saw 24 on a long road trip.

Make sure your exhaust has no pinholes either. This is meant for the other gentleman having problems as well.
Old 10-24-18, 10:47 AM
AlDavison
Driver

What does your typical mpg look like and what kind of driving do you do? Admittedly some days I drive a very short route with stop and go traffic, but even that shouldn't justify 11mpg under any circumstance. If it's rated 19mpg city I expect to get somewhere near 19mpg. I can't even get that cruising down the highway at 65mph for an hour.
I drive to and from work on the city roads and the hwy. Mostly stop and go traffic a lot. The lowest MPG that I seen was 16-MPG. 11-mpg is really bad. I want to sell my car, but I just don't want another car note. I think that I should just do it because my car sucks-up 2-quarts of oil every month as well.

My car was not like this before the recalls.
Old 10-24-18, 10:50 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

You are going to be looking for pending codes, fuel trims at idle, 1500, and 2500 rpm, misfires, etc.

Do a bit of reading on fuel trims, there are good videos on YT by scannerdanner and others. You have to understand fuel control, vacuum leaks, etc.

It is important to have knowledge with an older or even newer car, unless you like being taken advantage of. You are at the mercy of the tech and he could cost you thousands if he don't know what he is doing. You can get factory parts on ebay for real cheap, at the dealer everything is marked up and a $50 sensor ends up as a $700 bill. The less you know the better customer you are!

Sometimes an ECU can be bad, dumping fuel, but I think with that tool you could buy a used one and recode it to your car.
See I'm illiterate with cars so a lot of it is like a different language to me. I need to figure something out though or otherwise I'm going to have to get rid of this car and that's the last thing I want to do. I love her.
Old 10-24-18, 10:55 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I have unbelievable mileage after the recall and some exhaust work. 23.3- and I saw 24 on a long road trip.

Make sure your exhaust has no pinholes either. This is meant for the other gentleman having problems as well.
I would do anything to get 23mpg. What was your mpg before the recall and exhaust work? I wonder if I call Lexus if they can do anything since the mpg got worse after recall?
Old 10-24-18, 10:56 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

I drive to and from work on the city roads and the hwy. Mostly stop and go traffic a lot. The lowest MPG that I seen was 16-MPG. 11-mpg is really bad. I want to sell my car, but I just don't want another car note. I think that I should just do it because my car sucks-up 2-quarts of oil every month as well.

My car was not like this before the recalls.
I would be happy with 16 at this point.

Quick Reply: Looks like we are getting another recall...