GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looks like we are getting another recall...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 02:22 PM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Got my recall notice from Lexus on Saturday, NHTSA Recall No. 18V-432. Called my local Charleston, SC dealer Monday morning to schedule the repair. They said they needed to order parts first and would call me back in a few days to schedule the repair. Haven't heard back yet but I find it odd that they don't have any parts on hand. The recall even states that if you "experience a fuel odor...schedule an appointment with any authorized Lexus dealer immediately". I guess if you smell gas, they give you a loaner until parts arrive.

From my view, my dealer appears to not be prepared. We've heard about this recall for a few months and this is an "Urgent Safety Recall", but parts aren't stocked for the recall.

Just a heads up...
They told me the same (needed to order parts and to plan to wait). I thought it was odd they didn't have the parts needed either. I even asked about why they didn't have the parts in stock and got some run-around answer. It seems all the Lexus dealers are consistent at least...(lol)...in that they all say it's a part needed, and they have to order and it will probably take up to a week to get it in and don't care that it's a safety recall. They told me they will do a free multi-point inspection while the car is there (hopefully that's true).
Old 08-29-18, 04:44 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the dealership today and they gave me a loaner car. They had the parts and the technician started working on my car right away. They said that I can get my money back since I paid for them to fixed this problem months ago. Back then, they fix one side that was leaking, but the recall is to fix both sides and now the parts is different from the parts that they used months ago. This recall is very serious! My car was leaking gas everywhere because the fuel pipe was rusted.
Old 08-29-18, 04:55 PM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlDavison
I went to the dealership today and they gave me a loaner car. They had the parts and the technician started working on my car right away. They said that I can get my money back since I paid for them to fixed this problem months ago. Back then, they fix one side that was leaking, but the recall is to fix both sides and now the parts is different from the parts that they used months ago. This recall is very serious! My car was leaking gas everywhere because the fuel pipe was rusted.
Ridiculous that the dealers are downplaying the severity and that the fix isn't in stock for practically every dealership for something so serious. How has your mpg been? Mine is terrible and just keeps getting worse. Half tempted to call my dealer and demand them bring me a loaner and to come get my car.
Old 08-29-18, 05:08 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EastTnG8r
Ridiculous that the dealers are downplaying the severity and that the fix isn't in stock for practically every dealership for something so serious. How has your mpg been? Mine is terrible and just keeps getting worse. Half tempted to call my dealer and demand them bring me a loaner and to come get my car.
My dealer (after getting to the service manager) said and I quote "he NEVER heard of this leaking and the part was on your car since it was made." He told me there is nothing to worry about, when you can make an appointment. He then went on to say for very severe recalls ( I guess like the airbags) the manufacturer provides loaners.

I'm shocked also parts aren't on hand I think if Lexus really cared they would be sure they are in each dealership. It isn't hard to write a script to estimate cars in a geographic area. Maybe they had to re-engineer the part or find another supplier. Seems they are ordering individual units from a central warehouse. This is also something a Toyota dealership can easily do, to get things done faster, just like a Lincoln can goto Ford.

I dealt with other makers (like Ford) they would do the repair within a day and the were parts in stock ready to go. Maybe today with all the recalls things are different.
Old 08-29-18, 05:32 PM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs350fan
This is also something a Toyota dealership can easily do, to get things done faster, just like a Lincoln can goto Ford.
Is this accurate? I thought on something like this your only choice is to go to a Lexus dealer? (I could've interpreted what you are referring to incorrectly, if so, my apologies)
Old 08-29-18, 05:34 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Is this accurate? I thought on something like this your only choice is to go to a Lexus dealer? (I could've interpreted what you are referring to incorrectly, if so, my apologies)
I should have rephrased, I meant in a perfect world.
Old 08-29-18, 05:37 PM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs350fan
I should have rephrased, I meant in a perfect world.
It would be nice. I'm over an hour from Lexus. There is a Toyota dealership 2 min down the road. Them's the breaks.
Old 08-30-18, 01:48 AM
AlDavison
Driver

How has your mpg been? Mine is terrible and just keeps getting worse.
My gas MPG was terrible and the smell of gas was all in the car as well. I could see the gas on the hot engine: not just a little gas, but a lot of it! The car wouldn't start right either because there is pressure inside of the fuel pipe. I had to get this fix before the recall and it cost a lot too. I paid the price months ago.

When you look down on top of your engine, there is a big Lexus cover in the middle. That whole cover snaps-off by pulling upwards. Look on the sides of the engine from the top and you will see a flat pipe on each side delivering fuel to the injectors. Gasoline was pouring out of it and I could hear it too. This can catch on fire for sure without a doubt. There should had been a fix for this a long time ago.
Old 08-30-18, 04:19 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

It would be nice. I'm over an hour from Lexus. There is a Toyota dealership 2 min down the road. Them's the breaks.
If I were in your shoes, I'd call the Toyota dealer, give them the recall number, and see if they can perform the work. Toyota dealers work on Lexus vehicles all the time. I've had them quote me transmission and brake flushes. The Avalon of that period used a similar engine (but front wheel drive), so it's not like their techs aren't familiar with the engine.

It can't hurt and would save you a few hours driving time.
Old 08-30-18, 07:12 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

My gas MPG was terrible and the smell of gas was all in the car as well. I could see the gas on the hot engine: not just a little gas, but a lot of it! The car wouldn't start right either because there is pressure inside of the fuel pipe. I had to get this fix before the recall and it cost a lot too. I paid the price months ago.

When you look down on top of your engine, there is a big Lexus cover in the middle. That whole cover snaps-off by pulling upwards. Look on the sides of the engine from the top and you will see a flat pipe on each side delivering fuel to the injectors. Gasoline was pouring out of it and I could hear it too. This can catch on fire for sure without a doubt. There should had been a fix for this a long time ago.
So submit your repair invoice for the work that you had done using the instructions posted earlier in this thread and get reimbursed for your out-of-pocket costs.
The following users liked this post:
AlDavison (08-30-18)
Old 08-30-18, 07:17 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by tghw
So submit your repair invoice for the work that you had done using the instructions posted earlier in this thread and get reimbursed for your out-of-pocket costs.
Yes sir!
Old 08-30-18, 07:50 AM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud777x
THANKS FOR POSTING this. this may save me money.
Just got off the phone with Lexus. As others have said, they need to order the part but same as last time, they will bring a loaner to me and pick mine up for the repair at no cost. Which is great since they are the closest Lexus dealership and still about a 2.5 hour drive.
Old 08-30-18, 08:56 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes sir!
Just out of curiosity, how much did they charge you to fix it without the recall? At least we will then know how much Lexus is stepping up to accommodate their customers.
Old 08-30-18, 09:59 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by tghw
Just out of curiosity, how much did they charge you to fix it without the recall? At least we will then know how much Lexus is stepping up to accommodate their customers.
When I return the loaner car today, I will get a copy of the receipt and then post.
Old 08-30-18, 12:44 PM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

How long does the repair typically take to complete?

Quick Reply: Looks like we are getting another recall...