GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looks like we are getting another recall...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 03:09 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How can this be? These cars are old as hell.
Old 07-06-18, 05:03 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedtaco
How can this be? These cars are old as hell.
It's a safety issue. Toyota does not want to be liable if a defective part causes a fire that could potentially kill someone. This is how Toyota takes care of its customers. If it was an American manufacturer, they probably would not perform a recall on vehicles this old unless they were forced to by the government.

Old 07-06-18, 06:49 PM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tghw
It's a safety issue. Toyota does not want to be liable if a defective part causes a fire that could potentially kill someone. This is how Toyota takes care of its customers. If it was an American manufacturer, they probably would not perform a recall on vehicles this old unless they were forced to by the government.
+1 on this comment. It's interesting to see how many older issues they are recalling, especially the melting dashboards on the ES.
Old 07-19-18, 12:09 PM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Took my 2011 GS350 to the dealership this afternoon and was given a loaner. I'll update once the repair is complete.
Old 07-19-18, 02:52 PM
rw3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Took my 2011 GS350 to the dealership this afternoon and was given a loaner. I'll update once the repair is complete.
What dealership and you are sure they are doing the JLF (J2F) Recall?

List of all recalls on the GS350 - https://www.cars.com/recalls/lexus-g...2007/?zc=75078
Old 08-13-18, 06:57 AM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this J L F recall also... Lexus in ATL said they don't yet have a fix for it. I'm taking mine in for a ELF recall today.... 8/13/18
Old 08-21-18, 07:44 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rw3
What dealership and you are sure they are doing the JLF (J2F) Recall?

List of all recalls on the GS350 - https://www.cars.com/recalls/lexus-g...2007/?zc=75078
Ended up being a dud. Didn't complete any repairs since fix is still not found. Got to drive around in a 4GS though for 4 days.
Old 08-21-18, 07:55 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Ended up being a dud. Didn't complete any repairs since fix is still not found. Got to drive around in a 4GS though for 4 days.
MY dealer told me to wait for a letter in the mail. They have no parts to repair. They didn't seem to enthusiastic about it either.
Old 08-24-18, 06:15 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
I have no idea if its related...but in the last two days I've noticed a new, odd noise while the engine is idling. It's a low tone, rapid thumping like sound. As best I can tell...it's coming from the back of the engine near the firewall. It starts shortly after a cold start. Not sure it it stops after the engine comes to normal operating temperature or not. Can't really hear while in the cabin.

i have this exact issue on my GS450h, i think its a camshaft noise, does it sound embrassing on cold morning start up?

when car operate to idel it has that low droning rapid noise?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hreads-64.html

seems to be common on lot of 350 engine
Old 08-26-18, 06:42 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my letter in the mail yesterday. I will call my local Lexus dealer tomorrow and set up an appointment. The letter says it should take no more than 1 1/2 hours to fix. I hope this is accurate as I can just wait if it's only that long. Anyone went in and had this recall done yet and what your experience was?
The following users liked this post:
rw3 (08-27-18)
Old 08-26-18, 04:42 PM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually just had the last fuel recall done a few weeks back and got this letter today. I feel a little bad because the closest dealership is ~140 miles from me. So they have to drive the loaner to me, drive my car back to the dealership, fix it and swap them again after that. It sure is convienent though!
rw3 (08-27-18)
Old 08-26-18, 04:48 PM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Broncosi
I actually just had the last fuel recall done a few weeks back and got this letter today. I feel a little bad because the closest dealership is ~140 miles from me. So they have to drive the loaner to me, drive my car back to the dealership, fix it and swap them again after that. It sure is convienent though!
That's sweet they are doing that, though. Is it something you demanded, or the dealer offered, or what? I wonder how many miles out you have to be for them to do that? I'm about 40 miles from my closest one.
rw3 (08-27-18)
Old 08-26-18, 05:18 PM
Broncosi
Pole Position

I was actually scheduling the appointment and had planned on driving up for the day when they stopped me and explained it was a mandatory safety recall and for those types, they drop the loaner off to you. It was a great experience honestly. They dropped off an IS F-type on a Thursday and brought mine back to me that next Monday. They were very flexible and actually gave me options of what I wanted to drive for the loaner. Asking questions like "Do you need an SUV, or are you looking or something more fun and sporty?". The older gentleman arrived at my office with the loaner and we chatted for long enough to find out he lived on the street where I grew up and had a lot of history around that area. All around good people!
rw3 (08-27-18)
Old 08-27-18, 05:26 AM
EastTnG8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Broncosi
I was actually scheduling the appointment and had planned on driving up for the day when they stopped me and explained it was a mandatory safety recall and for those types, they drop the loaner off to you. It was a great experience honestly. They dropped off an IS F-type on a Thursday and brought mine back to me that next Monday. They were very flexible and actually gave me options of what I wanted to drive for the loaner. Asking questions like "Do you need an SUV, or are you looking or something more fun and sporty?". The older gentleman arrived at my office with the loaner and we chatted for long enough to find out he lived on the street where I grew up and had a lot of history around that area. All around good people!
That's awesome. You got taken care of then. I love Lexus. I just called and got my appointment. They said they don't keep the fix in stock and would need to order the replacement and it could take at least a week to get the part in. Huh..."safety recall" then I guess lol. This is the only Lexus dealership around, too for a long long way. They didn't offer me what you were offered. They just said they would give me a loaner after bringing it in if I needed one.
Old 08-27-18, 05:31 AM
Broncosi
Pole Position

That's odd to me, that them dropping off the loaner to me was a policy only for that dealership and not all Lexus dealerships. Then again, I haven't called about this one yet so they may not do it for this one. I'll call today and see what they say and post an update.
rw3 (08-27-18)

Quick Reply: Looks like we are getting another recall...