GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Phoenix Android Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 09:06 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkwindom84
High low was bothering me for a minute but this thing is actually really good. If you are considering it keep in mind that in order to take full advantage of this unit a mobile hotspot is recommended. Not necessary but recommended. It allows me to utilize Spotify, pocket casts, and Waze for navigation (hello live traffic info) only thing my Gs needs is the newer driver assistance and safety features and my tech is better than any 2019 that’s fresh off the show room lot.
My car is already equipped with a mobile hotspot for my BlackVue Dashcams so the Phoenix Radio would just connect to the existing hotspot. As mentioned earlier, I’m on the fence until I can get comprehensive reviews on the longevity, reliability and hopefully the eventual remedy to the temperature settings. I plan on keeping my GS for as long as possible so this upgrade is on my radar.
Old 07-13-18, 04:33 PM
Bkwindom84
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

still no remedy to high low issue but unit is still functioning smoothly. My aftermarket audio build is much more powerful with this unit as opposed to the OEM head unit

Old 07-13-18, 07:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was probably the second or third person, at least on the forums to post, to get one of these, and I’m atill very happy. Car has been to the dealer several times for detailing oil changes and fixing the clear bra, and every time someone new from the service area comes asks me about it when I come back to return the loaner.
Old 07-14-18, 06:34 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

why not post a detailed video for us guys
Old 07-15-18, 08:36 AM
Iparkcars
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on the fence too. I wish this had Sirius xm capability. One question so if you do not have a hot spot you can not use the GPS or you cant use certain apps (ex. waze) ?
Old 07-15-18, 11:49 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by verly6565
why not post a detailed video for us guys
because there are videos of this car and others that clearly depict everything about this kind of unit. The functionality among models is exactly the same
Old 08-31-18, 07:29 AM
GS450hCA
Driver School Candidate

Hey all, I've been reading your forum for a while and decided to join; finally. I have a 2009 GS450h (US) that only does Bluetooth for phone calls (no A2DP). When I started searching for a way to do this in my car (a simple adapter), I came across this Telsa-style head unit on your forum. I decided to take the plunge and get a 2GB/32GB unit for my car. While the physical unit fits perfectly, the harnesses that they provide are far from plug and play. There are several factory plugs that have no place to go, as well as plugs that come with the unit's harnesses that have nothing to connect to. Support from PAR is not good. They requested pictures of the unit and told me not to connect the main harness (essentially giving me two more things that are not plugged in).

Did any of you run in to this issue or did all of your factory plugs have a place to go with your unit's wiring harnesses? I've started the return process with PAR (since I've spent 28 days trying to get some form of support from them), but if you have any suggestions, I'm open to them. I really wanted this to be a plug and play unit, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-18, 05:47 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

It is plug and play for everything but the rear view camera, and even then there is no splicing into the factory harness (except by the taillight). You will not use all the plugs, but with common sense you’ll figure it out. The plug for the flashers, at least on mine, needed more force than the others
Old 09-01-18, 05:00 AM
verly6565
Advanced

has anyone got a srep by step on what plugs to use and wiring the camera
Old 09-01-18, 04:09 PM
GS450hCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS
It is plug and play for everything but the rear view camera, and even then there is no splicing into the factory harness (except by the taillight). You will not use all the plugs, but with common sense you’ll figure it out. The plug for the flashers, at least on mine, needed more force than the others
I'm guessing they sent the wrong unit (more so, the harness included). I've done lots of car stereos in my time and after about 90 minutes of tracing and trying to figure out what goes where, I just couldn't figure it out.

The kicker was when they responded saying to NOT connect the large interface. I guess it just wasn't meant to be for me.
Old 09-02-18, 06:52 AM
verly6565
Advanced

do you have pictures of what they sent you ...so other members who did the install can help you
Old 09-02-18, 07:36 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS450hCA
I'm guessing they sent the wrong unit (more so, the harness included). I've done lots of car stereos in my time and after about 90 minutes of tracing and trying to figure out what goes where, I just couldn't figure it out.

The kicker was when they responded saying to NOT connect the large interface. I guess it just wasn't meant to be for me.

i can almost gurantee you they did not, there’s an additional harness you don’t even use. Show a picture of what they sent you, look up my threads and compare it with what they sent me. I have zero experience with this stuff and did fine, so I’m sure someone whose familiar with these things can do it easily.
Old 09-23-18, 10:19 AM
urzh
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://becomethesolution.com/news/i...o-lexus-gx-470
Old 09-24-18, 09:54 AM
GS450hCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS

i can almost gurantee you they did not, there’s an additional harness you don’t even use. Show a picture of what they sent you, look up my threads and compare it with what they sent me. I have zero experience with this stuff and did fine, so I’m sure someone whose familiar with these things can do it easily.
Unfortunately, I sent the unit back. When it's day 29 of a 30 day return policy on an $800 unit, I had to make the smart move and get an RA#. I have a couple of photos on my phone (because I wanted to get a detailed documentation of the installation), but the unit is back at PAR (I'm still waiting on the refund). I may revisit this in the near future, but for now, I will just have to think about what could have been.
Old 12-08-18, 08:45 AM
urzh
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a forum now for users and fans of Phoenix Android Radios. Includes reviews, installs, tips, tricks, features, photos...

https://phoenixandroidradioforums.com/