GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear Subframe Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 12:09 PM
Siorus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Subframe Issue?

Hi guys, I was planning on picking up an '07 GS350 tomorrow, but I was reviewing some pictures I took while inspecting the car yesterday and I noticed a weld on the rear subframe that looked a little out of place to me.

Can I trouble someone to grab a picture of the right rear corner of the rear subframe on their car so I have a reference? I just I can't seem to find a decent picture online, and I want to make sure the thing wasn't wrecked and the subframe welded up.

I've highlighted the part that concerns me in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Subframe Issue?-subframe.jpg  
Old 08-11-17, 11:08 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

That looks like it was welded on afterwards IMO.

Why didn't you check the opposing side for that side's weld for reference?

If I find time Sunday I can do a snap for you (if I can find it).

PM me by Sunday if no one responds!
The following users liked this post:
Siorus (08-14-17)
Old 08-12-17, 12:45 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Heres an IS 250 subframe which is close to the GS you can see the welds match up with the same amount of rust as yours. Toyota/Lexus cars are not the best in northern regions, the rust prevention are not that great. Structurally it looks good to me, if you were concerned about it, clean the subframe with a wire brush and spray something like por 15.

Also if this is an awd, I would suggest you take off the front catalytic convertor heat shields as those shields love to trap moisture and rust out the pipe. Which is a common issue only on awd's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-13-LEXUS-....c100005.m1851
Siorus (08-14-17)
Old 08-12-17, 06:27 AM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are some pics of my Subframe for reference. I have a 460, but I'm pretty sure they share the same subframe member.

Siorus (08-14-17)
Old 08-12-17, 11:19 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a 10 year old Lexus weld with some rust due to midwest salty road winters.
Old 08-14-17, 05:08 PM
Siorus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. I tried to post an update on Saturday night but it's still awaiting mod approval (not sure why), so let's try this again.

I ended up going back and taking a look at both sides of the subframe in person, and I tracked down another car at a different dealership and took a look at that one, too. I'm pretty confident I have a good idea of what's going on here now. Confident enough that I ended up buying the car.

Both sides of the subframe are, in fact, identical in terms of weld quality and aging. All of the VIN tags match and the trunk floorpan looks factory with no signs of welding or anything. All the panel gaps are what they should be, the doors open and close correctly and they'll latch with light palm pressure as I'd expect out of a Lexus. None of that fits with "this thing was hit hard enough to need a subframe and somebody welded it up rather than fixing it properly." Furthermore, the weld quality is on par with the IS250 subframe that ibidu1 linked, so this is clearly within Toyota's QC standards.

According to the Lexus dealer parts department, there is a VIN split on the rear subframe. Everything up to summer of '07 (I forget the month, I was driving while I was on the phone with the Lexus dealer parts department) got one part #; the later cars got another. This car was built in 04/07. The other car I looked at was a 2011. That car has a subframe that's identical to snakeo2's; the weld is still present, but it's much cleaner. I would bet money (kinda just did, in light of how I just bought the car on the basis that I think I'm right ) that there are two possible explanations: either the subframes have some hand welding on them and the differences are attributable to welder skill, or when they updated the subframe to a new part #, they went to CNC welding.

Given the way the car looks and drives and the absence of any hard evidence of major body work, I'm gonna chalk this up to factory variation. If it chews up tires every 500 miles or something I'll know I was wrong.

And yeah, ibidu1, the car is going to need some attention with respect to rust treatment. I bought it because I moved from CA to MO, I don't own anything I'm willing to drive in the salt, and I could not for the life of me find a <70k mile, 1-or-2-owner, AWD, 3rd gen GS350 with ventilated seats and nav that had at least some service records, had had the vvt recall addressed, and hadn't spent at least some time in the rust belt. Unfortunate, and annoying, but what are you gonna do, y'know?

I was figuring on wire brushing it, throwing some POR15 or something similar at it, and then either undercoating it or putting cosmoline on it. I'd like to get 10 years or so out of the thing without it looking completely trashed when I'm done.
Old 08-14-17, 08:49 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I just spray fluid film once a year and that's prevented the frame from getting any worse