GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 steering wheel "ticking noise"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 08:49 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Question GS350 steering wheel "ticking noise"

Hello Guys,

You will think I'm paranoid but my Lexus GS 350 steering wheel is making this very little noise when I am turning the steering wheel (spinning) , its a like a "tick..tick" noise, its not like that noise it makes when you have your turn signals on and you turn and its not that loud as a grinding or groaning.

Anyone experiencing this or in the past? Maybe the steering column or any part of the steering needing some lube? I think it wont be bad to lube my steering wheel components with white lithium but I am curious which parts should I focus on (Pics will be delightful)

If anyone can help me out is highly appreciated!
Old 08-01-17, 05:15 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine has the same :-) don't bother too much about it personally :-) 2007 GS450h
Old 08-01-17, 11:12 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Try some white lithium grease spray, and lightly spray between the steering wheel and the column cover.

Most likely it could be coming from the airbag clock spring. You can change it out yourself its not difficult at all, you just have to remove the steering wheel and the part is not expensive
Old 08-01-17, 08:36 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Try some white lithium grease spray, and lightly spray between the steering wheel and the column cover.

Most likely it could be coming from the airbag clock spring. You can change it out yourself its not difficult at all, you just have to remove the steering wheel and the part is not expensive
Thanks ibidu! I was thinking about the clock spring because that's exactly where it sounds like its coming from, still I have always been intimidated by disarming a steering wheel.

I will try to spray between the steering wheel and column cover, do you think liquid wrench silicon spray will do?

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-02-17, 10:06 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Mine has always had a little noise to it, almost like a few grains of sand are stuck in there. Learned to live with it, but it's definitely not any clicking noise.
Old 08-02-17, 12:08 PM
Sania56
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Mine has always had a little noise to it, almost like a few grains of sand are stuck in there. Learned to live with it, but it's definitely not any clicking noise.
I have exactly same noise, like you said, sounds like few grains of sand. After disassembling the steering wheel, i found, that the noise is coming from inside of air bag, if you shake it you will hear that noise. Since everyone have this, so then i guess it's normal, however i'm not sure if i had it from beginning or maybe i did not paid attention to it.

You can find pictures, how the airbag looks from inside, you will see that it have a propellant, which looks like a lot of small tablets, i guess they making the noise.

Here an example:

Last edited by Sania56; 08-02-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 07:51 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Nice finding Sania!! Thanks for sharing

​​​​​My noise is not like sand its more like ticking, very light tick when turning the wheel at certain degrees. Almost like the sound a spring does when you rotate it while holding its base.
Old 08-03-17, 02:38 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by guzzy92fs
Thanks ibidu! I was thinking about the clock spring because that's exactly where it sounds like its coming from, still I have always been intimidated by disarming a steering wheel.

I will try to spray between the steering wheel and column cover, do you think liquid wrench silicon spray will do?

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench...silicone+spray
Theres no need to be intimidated by the airbag system, its just a network of electrical plugs. No airbag will ever deploy on you, even if you left the battery plugged in and disconnected and reconnected. To set off an airbag youll have to have a hard impact to any of the sensors.

If you look behind the wheel there should be 2 caps youll need to pop off, then unscrew the torx bit screws holding the airbag. Lift the airbag out and unplug it you may need a small flat head screw driver pry the airbag connect straight out. Next unbolt the steering wheel and pull it out, but make sure to scribe a line on the center shaft to the steering wheel to use as a reference point when reinstalling. You will have to unbolt the steering column covers to reach the clock spring. Easy job!

Silicone spray is fine, but I like to use white lithium. But you can spray anything for now just to see if the sound goes away. If it doesnt then you may have to do the clock spring

Amazon Amazon