GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ML speaker distortion (2007 GS 430)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 09:30 PM
Unclejake
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ML speaker distortion (2007 GS 430)

I can't find many references to this using the forum search, but I'm hearing what sounds like at least two 'blown' speakers on my 100,000kms, 10 year old ML equipped GS 430.

The distortion isn't there all of the time, and is way worse on certain tracks (particular frequencies I guess). It happens using CDs or the recently installed VaisTech bluetooth adapter. Some days it's hardly noticeable and some days it's awful - even at conversation volumes. The very rearmost left hand speaker (in the parcel tray) and a front right speaker (perhaps the door) are doing it. The bluetooth adapter was installed by Lexus about two months ago and the problem has arisen since, but that could just be co-incidence. The distortion is present with or without surround sound or ADP(?) enabled

Do these ML speakers fail intermittently, or am I more likely looking at an amplifier issue?

I've booked the vehicle into a car stereo company for diagnostics next week, but any advice as to where they should look would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jake
New Zealand

Last edited by Unclejake; 07-10-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 09:06 PM
revaldo29
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a 2006 GS430 with ML sound system and on the way home with the car I heard a loud rattle coming from the rear subwoofer. When I removed the cover and inspected the speaker I found the foam holding the speaker cone was completely corroded. Apparently this is a common issue with the ML subwoofers. You might be having a similar issue with your speakers. I would just expose the speaker and examine them. I was able to repair my subwoofer with a $25 speaker foam edge repair kit from simplyspeakers.com and now I have more bass than I could ever need. Conversely, I believe some of the speakers can just be swapped out with aftermarket speakers (not the case for the subwoofer).
The following users liked this post:
Unclejake (07-16-17)
Old 07-15-17, 01:57 AM
Cashish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the first step in any sort of diagnostic is to remove any non-standard accesories from the problem area ie. the bluetooth adapter. Particularly if the problem has only seemed to occur since the installation.
It could be something as simple as one of the connectors from the bluetooth adapter harness is not completely clipped in, resulting in a poor connection and intermittent interference or earth problems.
If the system is returned to standard and the problem still present then you can start looking at speakers, processors, wires etc.
Old 07-16-17, 10:06 PM
Unclejake
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Revaldo29. The issue was with failed speaker cone foam on at least two individual speakers. I'm getting two pairs of speakers replaced with aftermarket units (and disconnecting the dash center speaker).. but I suspect more will fail soon so the replacement option may get expensive. I get the vehicle back tomorrow

I now see that there's a threads describing this issue (and also domes falling off), but strangely none popped up when I searched on 'distortion'.
Old 08-11-19, 03:09 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my Sub foam with SimplySpeakers foam. My 2006 is 14 years old, considering it came out in mid-2005, and all the foam is shot. This was a simple solution.Going to replace all four door speaker foam next.