GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Close to buying a 2011 GS450h with 50k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 09:29 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Close to buying a 2011 GS450h with 50k miles.

Hi all,

I've been a fan of the GS line since gen 1, but never took the plunge. I'm finally on the verge of purchasing a 2011 GS450h. It has about 50k miles and is in great condition. Any tips, warnings, congratulations, ...threats?

Recently I'm getting a little scared, reading about issues with the hybrid system failing, and the dealer wanting like eight grand to put a new battery in. Since it's a 2011, I should have a year or so left on the hybrid warranty, but still. I was looking forward to being relatively free of reliability concerns (coming from owning only German cars up until now).

I see a lot of 450hs for sale around the 90k-100k range. Is this because people are getting out before the warranty expires?
Old 04-12-17, 09:44 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Compass
Hi all,

I've been a fan of the GS line since gen 1, but never took the plunge. I'm finally on the verge of purchasing a 2011 GS450h. It has about 50k miles and is in great condition. Any tips, warnings, congratulations, ...threats?

Recently I'm getting a little scared, reading about issues with the hybrid system failing, and the dealer wanting like eight grand to put a new battery in. Since it's a 2011, I should have a year or so left on the hybrid warranty, but still. I was looking forward to being relatively free of reliability concerns (coming from owning only German cars up until now).

I see a lot of 450hs for sale around the 90k-100k range. Is this because people are getting out before the warranty expires?
As a GS450h owner for the past 2 years...Congrats! It is a fantastic car like nothing else. I haven't had anything go wrong with my 2011. I have owned it since 30k and now have 70k miles. Since you are looking at a 2011, our manufacturer warranty on the battery will expire in 2019 or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Because it is the final year of the 3rd gen gs all of the previous issues like service bulletins have been addressed.

If you are coming from German cars you will find it odd to only pay for oil and brakes as maintenance. Luckily this car is light on the brake pad wear as it uses one of the electric motors to regenerate electricity. If you do decide to go in and get it you will be one of 5,055 units that were sent to North America. Go test drive the car! You might find that it is the slowest feeling quick car you have driven.

As far as the used market for the 450h...I think that most are afraid of their battery going bad so they are jumping ship. It truly is a rare car so I hardly ever see another one. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...of-energy.html

I say go for it! It is an awesome car. (and you can make it better!)

Last edited by rl9010; 04-12-17 at 10:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rl9010:
Compass (04-13-17), R_Rated (06-11-22)
Old 04-13-17, 10:51 AM
Compass
Driver

Thank you for the welcome!

I also like that it is relatively rare. I actually don't see that many GSs in general anymore it seems, let alone 3rd gen hybrids. 2nd gens used to be everywhere.

If my car was manufactured in late 2010, would I only have until late 2018 on the hybrid warranty? I can confirm with the dealer when I have it checked out next week (before buying). But I guess I should hope for the battery to fail while I can still get a fresh one under warranty.
Old 04-13-17, 05:44 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Thank you for the welcome!

I also like that it is relatively rare. I actually don't see that many GSs in general anymore it seems, let alone 3rd gen hybrids. 2nd gens used to be everywhere.

If my car was manufactured in late 2010, would I only have until late 2018 on the hybrid warranty? I can confirm with the dealer when I have it checked out next week (before buying). But I guess I should hope for the battery to fail while I can still get a fresh one under warranty.
The standard warranty for the hybrid power train is 8 years or 100k miles. The dealer would have exact dates for you.
Old 04-30-17, 04:34 PM
Compass
Driver

So I did end up buying it. Lexus dealer said the in-service date is 8/11, and that my hybrid warranty expires 8/19. So that gives me a couple years of peace of mind. I guess I may try to unload it in the first half of 2019 if the battery hasn't died by then.

I like the car a lot so far. One bad thing, though: when I brake firmly, the car wants to swerve unless I hold the steering wheel tight. It's a peculiar and unpleasant feeling. I'll have it checked out at my next service, but curious if anyone has felt this, and whether it's somehow related to the regenerative braking or awful run-flats?

[Edit]: This sounds close to what I have: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ng-solved.html . So maybe it is just the tires. Gotta get rid of these things soon...

Last edited by Compass; 04-30-17 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 11:38 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So I did end up buying it. Lexus dealer said the in-service date is 8/11, and that my hybrid warranty expires 8/19. So that gives me a couple years of peace of mind. I guess I may try to unload it in the first half of 2019 if the battery hasn't died by then.

I like the car a lot so far. One bad thing, though: when I brake firmly, the car wants to swerve unless I hold the steering wheel tight. It's a peculiar and unpleasant feeling. I'll have it checked out at my next service, but curious if anyone has felt this, and whether it's somehow related to the regenerative braking or awful run-flats?

[Edit]: This sounds close to what I have: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ng-solved.html . So maybe it is just the tires. Gotta get rid of these things soon...
Congrats on the car!

To add a little to what you are experiencing.. I don't think it is your tires. I agree that the tire to some extent can cause this but think of it this way... Your tires are the only thing that keeps the car on the road surface and thus is rotating 100% of the time when the car is in motion. If this is your problem, it should be there no matter what; not just at braking.

To get to your issue, it depends on what you mean when you saw swerve. Is it a shaking causing the car to feel like it is swerving left and right? Is it literally swerving to one side? etc.. In point, it sounds more like a brake line/slider pin issue or possible warped/bad brake pads since this is only happening when braking. So, if you can give us a little more insight, we might be able to help you narrow it down a bit. But if you have already got it looked at and diagnosed, let us know.
Old 05-02-17, 09:49 PM
Compass
Driver

Thanks for the feedback and congrats.

To answer your question, yes, it's swerving to one side when braking, and no, it's not shaking. I should say it's far more severe under heavy braking, but pretty sure I have similar symptoms while just driving. It feels like my alignment is changing on the fly, corresponding with conditions of the road. I don't think that's literally happening, but that's what it feels like. The car will pull right, then I'll hit a slight bump, and it will straighten, then I'll go over some rough road and it will start to pull left, etc.
Old 05-03-17, 07:12 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer your question, yes, it's swerving to one side when braking, and no, it's not shaking. I should say it's far more severe under heavy braking, but pretty sure I have similar symptoms while just driving. It feels like my alignment is changing on the fly, corresponding with conditions of the road. I don't think that's literally happening, but that's what it feels like. The car will pull right, then I'll hit a slight bump, and it will straighten, then I'll go over some rough road and it will start to pull left, etc.
If it is indeed happening while just driving, then that does sound more like the tires tramlining. As soon as you get rid of them, that issue should disappear obviously; if it doesn't, then keep us updated. Good luck and enjoy the car while you can.
Old 05-03-17, 09:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Definitely a tire thing. My car did the same exact thing with Bridgestone RE970AS, switched to a much cheaper new Kumho, and the car drives so much better
Old 05-08-17, 11:49 AM
450hmatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my GS450h. The batteries started dying at 98,000 miles so I had Lexus give me all new ones under the warranty. Saved a fortune and now have that peace of mind. Other than that it has been great.
Old 05-08-17, 07:06 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had a similar feeling especially at higher speeds for a while now with my 460, both of our cars have the adjustable shocks and maybe as they wear some work better than others? My car seems to drift even after alignments
Old 06-11-22, 03:50 PM
Compass
Driver

I know nobody cares, but apparently I never followed up on this to confirm it was indeed my tires. I changed all four several years ago and the problem hasn't been back since.
The following 2 users liked this post by Compass:
RXGS (06-11-22), R_Rated (06-12-22)
Old 06-11-22, 06:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

More importantly, hows the car
Old 06-11-22, 07:35 PM
Compass
Driver

It's been great! I work from home (even back when I bought the car in 2017), so I don't put many miles on, but no significant complaints at all.

If I didn't have the imminent hybrid battery failure hanging over my head I'd be more at ease. That's the one thing that might make me turn this one in for a newer GS model within the next couple years, even though I never did warm to the spindle grill. I know if I "upgrade" to 4th gen, a part of me will be jealous of 3rd gen owners when I see them...
The following users liked this post:
doitup (06-12-22)
Old 06-11-22, 10:40 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

It's been great! I work from home (even back when I bought the car in 2017), so I don't put many miles on, but no significant complaints at all.

If I didn't have the imminent hybrid battery failure hanging over my head I'd be more at ease. That's the one thing that might make me turn this one in for a newer GS model within the next couple years, even though I never did warm to the spindle grill. I know if I "upgrade" to 4th gen, a part of me will be jealous of 3rd gen owners when I see them...
Then look for a 2010 or 2011 GS. I'm sure you can find one in good shape with relatively low miles.

The 13-15 GS has the half-spindle look if that helps. It's not the full effect, which I believe is the ugliest design in the history of automobiles.

Quick Reply: Close to buying a 2011 GS450h with 50k miles.