Notices
GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Making the GS350 quieter-Please weight in!

 
Old 03-07-17, 03:13 PM
  #1  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Making the GS350 quieter-Please weight in!

Hi guys,

I have decided to try and modify the GS short of driving into the river. I have just installed new tires and they are quieter and ride better for sure. However, I still am not pleased. I am now turning my attention to the overall noise level in the car. My plans so far are as follows:

1-Try to deal with the injector ticking that comes from the engine. I hate it. I am thinking I could pull the liner from the hood and add some thin insulation between the liner and the hood.

2-Pull the engine covers and put some sound deadening material under the covers (fireproof of course).

3-Trunk-Sound insulation under the floor mat and behind the plastic covers of the wheel well.

4-If that all works, investigate putting insulation under all four wheel well liners.

Thoughts, suggestions, threads of value.
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-07-17, 03:30 PM
  #2  
pbxcomm
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I think the 3.5L creates the most noise of any car/engine I've owned.. If its not the Injector noise, its the seemingly rod knocks that comes and goes. I hate it too, but can't hear it inside the cabin, so I shrug it off.. I'm certain attempts to quiet this beast may be frugal.

Here is my suggestion:
Dynamat Extreme and/or Dynaliner, wherever its feasible, hood, trunk etc.. They have kits and although installation is a project, its the best there is.. I installed this inside the cowl on my outboard and made a huge difference or at the very least the noise is manageable.
pbxcomm is offline  
Old 03-07-17, 03:39 PM
  #3  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pbxcomm View Post
I think the 3.5L creates the most noise of any car/engine I've owned.. If its not the Injector noise, its the seemingly rod knocks that comes and goes. I hate it too, but can't hear it inside the cabin, so I shrug it off.. I'm certain attempts to quiet this beast may be frugal.

Here is my suggestion:
Dynamat Extreme and/or Dynaliner, wherever its feasible, hood, trunk etc.. They have kits and although installation is a project, its the best there is.. I installed this inside the cowl on my outboard and made a huge difference or at the very least the noise is manageable.
Thanks, I am going to research that. Yes, the injector noise sounds like a valve tick, which drives me crazy. Unless I have the radio cranked, I can hear it all the time.

I did not have that noise on my 2011 ES.
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-07-17, 07:33 PM
  #4  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

I wonder if this engine needs an engine oil that is a bit heavier? Perhaps, a good Euro 5-40w?
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-07-17, 07:35 PM
  #5  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Sorry, more like M1 0-40?
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-07-17, 09:57 PM
  #6  
tcr101
Lead Lap
iTrader: (2)
 
tcr101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: torrance/irvine
Posts: 730
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Get the 4.3l v8 (Sorry i had to)!

With my 350, I roll the windows up and listen to music at louder than normal volume?
tcr101 is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 04:50 AM
  #7  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Is the V8 actually quieter, engine wise?
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 11:32 AM
  #8  
XxGoKoUxX
Moderator
 
XxGoKoUxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 3,381
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

My GS430's engine is dead quiet... a little too quiet lol...

I sat in the GS300 and GS350 and they're both noisier than my vehicle.
XxGoKoUxX is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 11:48 AM
  #9  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX View Post
My GS430's engine is dead quiet... a little too quiet lol...

I sat in the GS300 and GS350 and they're both noisier than my vehicle.
I will have to try and find one to test drive.

Thanks
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 01:16 PM
  #10  
TRD_Power
Lexus Champion
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 3,407
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by brucelee1 View Post
Is the V8 actually quieter, engine wise?
Night and day difference. My 460 is silent, which was a big selling point for me to be honest. I was looking at selling my car for a 2013+ GS350 F-Sport, but after getting a 2015 GS350 for a loaner, there's no way I could do it. Just doesn't sound/feel as luxurious, mostly because of the engine noise. Great engines! Just prefer the V8
TRD_Power is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 02:51 PM
  #11  
brucelee1
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,107
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TRD_Power View Post
Night and day difference. My 460 is silent, which was a big selling point for me to be honest. I was looking at selling my car for a 2013+ GS350 F-Sport, but after getting a 2015 GS350 for a loaner, there's no way I could do it. Just doesn't sound/feel as luxurious, mostly because of the engine noise. Great engines! Just prefer the V8
Very interesting. Do you also notice any difference in the ride, or just the engine noise. I am also wondering if the RWD version smoother riding than my AWD?

I should have researched this issue BEFORE I bought mine!
brucelee1 is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 04:50 PM
  #12  
TRD_Power
Lexus Champion
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 3,407
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by brucelee1 View Post
Very interesting. Do you also notice any difference in the ride, or just the engine noise. I am also wondering if the RWD version smoother riding than my AWD?

I should have researched this issue BEFORE I bought mine!
The newer GS definitely hugged the road a bit better, and the interior was light years ahead of the 3GS, but it still just felt like I was driving a really nice Camry in comparison... Horrible to say, I know. Just couldn't get around it though. I say the same thing about my parents' 2014 RX350 - Great car, but the engine noise makes it sound.... Cheap? :/
TRD_Power is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 05:45 PM
  #13  
pman6
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 1,687
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

The best way to make the GS quieter............. is to wear earplugs.
Your car will sound like a tomb.


Originally Posted by brucelee1 View Post
I did not have that noise on my 2011 ES.
because your ES didn't have direct injection.
pman6 is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 07:24 PM
  #14  
rl9010
Lead Lap
 
rl9010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 484
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tcr101 View Post
Get the 4.3l v8 (Sorry i had to)!

With my 350, I roll the windows up and listen to music at louder than normal volume?
If you really want quiet... get gs450h... It's the quietest of them all lol!

Have you thought about changing the intake tube from the hybrid? I noticed that the intake tube on my 450h has a slightly smaller resonator box vs the 350's. The gs450h engine cover is covered in high density fire proof foam, so I think foaming the plastic is a good start.

If you don't mind the weight penalty, maybe dynomat? It's like audio insulation that cuts down on body metal vibration.

If you are worried about the creaking the dash makes, I found stuffing packing foam (like from camera cases) in between the dash and windshield has significantly eliminated a ton of creaks.

Last edited by rl9010; 03-08-17 at 07:31 PM.
rl9010 is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 07:44 PM
  #15  
Lukas99GS
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 822
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

My 460 certainly has more engine noise than my old 2nd gen GS300, of course in the cabin it's dead silent, but when at a drive through or something with the window down it sounds like a truck, has the same ticking style noise as the 350, but since I can't hear it in the car with the windows up it doesn't bother me. Seems most of the direct injection engines have that noise, curious to see if other brands have done better at making it less noticeable. The 430 isn't direct injection and also has a timing belt vs a chain, so id say that's probably the quietest bet for a 3rd gen GS.
Lukas99GS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making the GS350 quieter-Please weight in!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: