GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunk open light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 03:08 PM
Lalaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk open light on dash

Even when it is closed. I realized the trunks physical button won't pop open the trunk anymore nor does it latch itself closed when I lightly close the trunk.

It's a pain in the butt driving with the warning light and open trunk warning light on the dash when I drive!

What could be the cause of this?
Old 02-10-17, 08:56 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if our car has a trunk fuse; but I'd say start there. I've been lucky enough to not have any electrical issues yet so haven't looked into the fuses. Secondly, have you tried disconnecting the battery?

Lastly, it could just be the latch mechanism or the sensor that detects the trunk closing not working anymore.

As a final thought, I did saw a TSB mentioned about a trunk issue here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8061058
Old 02-11-17, 02:04 AM
Lalaguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ptplujo
I don't know if our car has a trunk fuse; but I'd say start there. I've been lucky enough to not have any electrical issues yet so haven't looked into the fuses. Secondly, have you tried disconnecting the battery?

Lastly, it could just be the latch mechanism or the sensor that detects the trunk closing not working anymore.

As a final thought, I did saw a TSB mentioned about a trunk issue here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8061058
I tried disconnecting the battery for afew minutes, no good..
Old 02-13-17, 06:40 AM
Zishan
Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Lalaguy
Even when it is closed. I realized the trunks physical button won't pop open the trunk anymore nor does it latch itself closed when I lightly close the trunk.
It's a pain in the butt driving with the warning light and open trunk warning light on the dash when I drive!
What could be the cause of this?
I have the exact same issue. I have to slowly close the trunk lid, and then firmly(using some body weight) push down until the trunk close motor catches and pulls it closed fully. Otherwise, it will not close and I get the trunk open warning light. I've ordered the replacement button for the melted trunk button, but I'm not sure this will resolve my issue either. I think I have 2 issues, the melted button (which no longer works) and the trunk closing mechanism.
Old 02-19-17, 08:23 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue. I changed the car battery and everything went back to normal.
Old 02-19-17, 04:26 PM
Lalaguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
I had the same issue. I changed the car battery and everything went back to normal.
I disconnected the battery for ten minutes and reconnected it, no luck. Have you tried that? Or you just changed the battery?
Old 02-20-17, 03:22 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did disconnect my battery multiple times prior to changing my battery. First was 10 minutes, problem still persist. 30 minutes, same. 1 hr, same. 4 hours, same. A full 24 hours, same. That's when I gave up and purchased a new battery. It might not work for you by changing out the battery but it worked for me. Never saw it again. I'd take your battery to at least 2 different auto part store being that I know how busy they get and there's no way for you to verify if in fact they did test the battery or not. They could simply be lazy and tell you, "battery was fine." How do I know, cause it happened to me. Autozone and O'Reilly said battery was fine but my symptoms were still there. When I took my car in to get an oil change, the stealership told me I had only 10%. This was done the very next day. Did my oil change and purchased a new battery same day. Astonishing I must say.
Old 02-20-17, 10:21 AM
Lalaguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
I did disconnect my battery multiple times prior to changing my battery. First was 10 minutes, problem still persist. 30 minutes, same. 1 hr, same. 4 hours, same. A full 24 hours, same. That's when I gave up and purchased a new battery. It might not work for you by changing out the battery but it worked for me. Never saw it again. I'd take your battery to at least 2 different auto part store being that I know how busy they get and there's no way for you to verify if in fact they did test the battery or not. They could simply be lazy and tell you, "battery was fine." How do I know, cause it happened to me. Autozone and O'Reilly said battery was fine but my symptoms were still there. When I took my car in to get an oil change, the stealership told me I had only 10%. This was done the very next day. Did my oil change and purchased a new battery same day. Astonishing I must say.
Damn. That is really something. Maybe I can try out another battery and see if that really fixes things..