GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Outrages GS300 Oil Change Cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 06:21 PM
netasp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrages GS300 Oil Change Cost

Starting at $200 + Tax is what the dealership answered me when I asked him how much do you charge for oil change for 2006 GS300 AWD!! I thought it was April's fools day, this will be fully synthetic oil...some non-brand. I can buy 4.4L Mobile 1 for $32 (I think I need 6.3L) but I would like to know what is the Toyota oil filter part # that would fit the 2006 GS300 AWD?

Is it recommended to use regular or synthetic oil for this car?

Thanks
Old 11-07-16, 07:24 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Conventional oil works for my GS350 RWD, bought two jugs of Pennzoil for $14 each @ Walmart on sale. I bought the 04152-YZZA3 oil filter from the dealership for $10.18.

I believe they use the same filter element as all other Toyota's with the 2GR block (Camry, Highlander, Sienna, RX350, ES350 etc) the only difference is it comes with the little plastic drain plug and a second O-ring which you don't need for the IS350/GS350.

The $200 probably includes a loaner car, plus all the cookies and coffee perks, and free fluid checkup, etc. that dealerships try to make part of the "Lexperience".
Old 11-07-16, 07:41 PM
netasp
Rookie

No loaner! some cookies and free wi-fi, just straight rip off. I was told the filter for 2WD is different from the AWD? I am looking at part# 04152-YZZA2 is it the proper filter for the AWD?

I drove into Toyota dealership express lube service to get an oil change they refused to change the oil because of their computer is *not* configured to handle Lexus GS300, only ES models
Old 11-08-16, 07:30 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never trust the dealer with an oil change, never had, nor will I take it to an "Express" oil change. I read too many legal battles in regards to oil changes gone wrong and the consumer gets stuck.
The first (and last) time I took my previous vehicle to the dealer, they had not drained all the oil and used an aftermarket filter.. They charged me for a premium oil change. I didn't trust
them from the beginning (dealers rep), so when I drove it home I immediatley pulled and checked the filter and sure enough it was a Fram, the worse filter made. I took it back to the dealer where I discussed the difference between an OEM filter and a Fram. They stated that I may have planted the filter as they no longer use Fram. That was that last oil change
from a dealer.. I stick with a local shop that I can trust and depend on.
Old 11-08-16, 10:56 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I pay $59 out the door loaner included. $79 if it's synthetic but my car calls for conventional.
Old 11-08-16, 11:25 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only use Royal Purple Synthetic.. About $65.00 with an OEM Toyota Filter.
Old 11-08-16, 11:37 AM
netasp
Rookie

man, I have to move to the USA, we are being screwed in Canada...
Old 11-08-16, 12:14 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you are at the north pole in Canada, even here you are being taken for a sucker.

Fort my GS350 On the GS350 the Lexus dealership oil change is $100
At the Toyota dealership oil change is ~$60, but they moved to place where traffic is crap
At independent shop oil change is just under $60, but a lot less waiting

All with the Toyota fully synthetic 0W20 including filter
Oil cap calls for 5w30, if I go with dino oil 5W30 the price doesn't change. I swear by synthetic so i gave the Toyota 0W20 (was actually recommended at the Lexus dealership for the car) a chance and it seemed to do great in the cold starts and fuel efficiency.

I used to do my own changes on old cars, but taking 6.3L of oil along with the silly proprietary oil wrench, Its just not worth it to get dirty. There is no money to be saved if you were to do it yourself.
$200 sounds like a "Maintainance" package that includes them checking that all the buttons on the dash work and spraying some grease on the door hinges for an extra $100 over the regular oil change. Make sure to ask for oil change and not "service"
Old 11-08-16, 12:56 PM
netasp
Rookie

I was asking for an oil change only, he told me it starts at $126 for regular and $200 for synthetic oil, it comes with car wash and some cookies. Toyota dealership refused to touch Lexus cars...

4.4L jug of Mobile1 is for $32, I might have to buy my own oil and filter and take it to some independent garage and pay for the service, at least I will be getting a quality oil for half the price
Old 11-08-16, 04:27 PM
imind
Rookie

Originally Posted by netasp
Toyota dealership refused to touch Lexus cars...
they say why?
time for you to start looking on craigslist for a decent local mechanic..
and is "lexperience" a real marketing tool? lol...
Old 11-08-16, 05:20 PM
netasp
Rookie

Originally Posted by imind
they say why?
time for you to start looking on craigslist for a decent local mechanic..
and is "lexperience" a real marketing tool? lol...
Yes, they said because of warranty issues, Toyota HQ is not allowing Toyota dealership to service Lexus. If Toyota starts servicing Lexus, no one would go to the Lexus dealership.

I made an appointment with Costco, they use fully synthetic oil Castrol Titanium EDGE 5W30 for $57 (with oil filter). I don't think I can beat that even if I was doing my own oil change

Last edited by netasp; 11-08-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 09:46 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally i would call anyone that cites warranty issue on a 10 year old car full of $#!t right to their face, especially for an oil change. does the car even have any warranty on it?

I don't know, but it seems multiple people are lying to you. My dealer is Lexus on the park in toronto and they have been great, yes a bit pricey but at $100 bucks i get the oil change and cookies and good cofee its not that outrageous if I had to go get a car-wash and some starbucks on my own. The reason i don't go to them is that they are like right in the most rush hour clogged up part of the city i never drive to so I went to the local Toyota dealer for all minor servicing.

The only time the Toyota dealer balked was when I asked them to do a transmission fluid change, despite me questioning them they insisted they can do it. After they jacked up the car they got all confused and called me to basically tell me that without expertise their hourly rate will be stupid and im better off taking it to an independent mechanic, they were still willing to do the work if i paid. they still did the differential fluid without any "warranty issue" nonsense. BinaryJay here recommended an independent mechanic that i gave a try and have been going to regularly since for all items his hourly rate is reasonable and the parts are what they are, if i bring my own he will happily install them.

often times one owner runs multiple dealerships and maybe that's what you are running into, the Toyota dealership may be trying to drive the business up to the Lexus dealer if they are affiliated.
Old 11-08-16, 10:30 PM
netasp
Rookie

Originally Posted by blue00
Personally i would call anyone that cites warranty issue on a 10 year old car full of $#!t right to their face, especially for an oil change. does the car even have any warranty on it?

I don't know, but it seems multiple people are lying to you. My dealer is Lexus on the park in toronto and they have been great, yes a bit pricey but at $100 bucks i get the oil change and cookies and good cofee its not that outrageous if I had to go get a car-wash and some starbucks on my own. The reason i don't go to them is that they are like right in the most rush hour clogged up part of the city i never drive to so I went to the local Toyota dealer for all minor servicing.

The only time the Toyota dealer balked was when I asked them to do a transmission fluid change, despite me questioning them they insisted they can do it. After they jacked up the car they got all confused and called me to basically tell me that without expertise their hourly rate will be stupid and im better off taking it to an independent mechanic, they were still willing to do the work if i paid. they still did the differential fluid without any "warranty issue" nonsense. BinaryJay here recommended an independent mechanic that i gave a try and have been going to regularly since for all items his hourly rate is reasonable and the parts are what they are, if i bring my own he will happily install them.

often times one owner runs multiple dealerships and maybe that's what you are running into, the Toyota dealership may be trying to drive the business up to the Lexus dealer if they are affiliated.
you are absolutely right, the Toyota & the Lexus dealership are being owned by the same person so it makes sense for them to force me to use the Lexus dealership. I was willing to pay $120 if it was synthetic without any problem but I don't like to be used. The car doesn't have any warranty left on it and even the technician who told that was kind of embarrassed of bringing that up but its a policy he said.

Thank you
Old 11-09-16, 10:56 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

One thing I always do when taking my car in for service is check the dealership's coupon site. You can also ask your service writer to check for any deals they might have before ringing you up. I use one every single time I go in for any service, and so far it's saved me quite a bit.

Lexus of Seattle's (for example):
http://www.lexusofseattle.com/Seattl...rvice-Specials
Old 11-09-16, 03:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

$149 usd is about right at the stealership.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to change the oil. Take it to any lowly mechanic who will let you bring the supplies and pay for labor only.

I always use synthetic oil since I get good deals on them

Quick Reply: Outrages GS300 Oil Change Cost