GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Intermittent headlamp out

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 09:38 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Intermittent headlamp out

So this is the second time this has happened, so before I start buying and replacing stuff I figured I'd ask:

I don't keep my headlights on Auto, I just turn them on and off when it starts getting dark or whenever.

First time I turned my headlights on in the morning (the automatic feature probably would have kept them off) and when I got behind a car at a light it appeared my right headlamp was out. Hmm.. okay it happens, right? Well before I went home that evening I turned on my lights and went to the front of the car - both were on and stayed on the entire way home.
Since then no issues.
Yesterday I turned my lights on and left around 6 (again, the automatic feature would have kept the lights off) and when I got to some traffic I noticed the right lamp was out again. When I got to my destination I got out and checked - sure enough it was out. So when I left that evening I turned my lights on and both were on for the entire way home.

Could a ballast be going?
Old 05-26-16, 10:13 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Possibly the bulb. As many people have done, switch the bulb to the other side. If it keeps going off, its the bulb but if the same side goes out, it the ballast (in most cases).
Old 05-27-16, 09:01 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Good stuff, will give it a go this weekend!
Old 06-12-16, 10:40 AM
atc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyBishop
Good stuff, will give it a go this weekend!
What were your findings?
Old 07-11-16, 06:02 PM
Iknowspurg
Driver

same thing is now happening to me..............
Old 07-12-16, 08:31 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Bulb is on its way out. That's how they act when they're dying. Just replaced my passenger side this weekend, and thought my driver's side was bright until I saw them reflect against the garage door, so ended up ordering a second for the driver's side, which I'll swap out this weekend. Below is everything you'll need:

Part to order:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How-to:
Old 07-13-16, 09:14 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

It hasn't done this since I made the post, lol.

The car was also smacked in the front by an exploding semi tire so it was in the shop for a bit. Now that I have it back I need to swap the bulbs and test things out
Old 09-26-16, 04:49 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Bulb is on its way out. That's how they act when they're dying. Just replaced my passenger side this weekend, and thought my driver's side was bright until I saw them reflect against the garage door, so ended up ordering a second for the driver's side, which I'll swap out this weekend. Below is everything you'll need:

Part to order:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How-to:
2008 Lexus GS 350 headlight replacement part 1 - YouTube
Thanks! I noticed the problem on the passenger side Thursday, ordered the bulbs Friday, and replaced them both on Sunday. I did not bother disconnecting the battery and was able to complete without removing anything else other than the 3 covers. Saved me $260!
Old 09-28-16, 08:12 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by handzilla
Thanks! I noticed the problem on the passenger side Thursday, ordered the bulbs Friday, and replaced them both on Sunday. I did not bother disconnecting the battery and was able to complete without removing anything else other than the 3 covers. Saved me $260!
Glad you were able to get this done, and for a lot cheaper than what the dealer would charge
Old 10-03-16, 10:33 AM
diesel916
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issue on my 08 GS350, but sometimes it's the left side and other times it's the right. If I flick the switch from auto to on to off back to on they will both come on, then a few minutes later one will go out. Any ideas why both would be intermittent like that?
Old 10-03-16, 10:51 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by diesel916
I am having the same issue on my 08 GS350, but sometimes it's the left side and other times it's the right. If I flick the switch from auto to on to off back to on they will both come on, then a few minutes later one will go out. Any ideas why both would be intermittent like that?
Just sounds like they're both on their way out. Same thing happened to me with my SC400 that had retrofitted HIDs. Just order a couple of bulbs from the Amazon link and replace. Should only take 20 min max Will save you tons vs. going to the stealership.
Old 10-03-16, 02:49 PM
diesel916
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Just sounds like they're both on their way out. Same thing happened to me with my SC400 that had retrofitted HIDs. Just order a couple of bulbs from the Amazon link and replace. Should only take 20 min max Will save you tons vs. going to the stealership.
thanks for the reply, I am a little nervous about that link, there are a lot of negative reviews on their about them being fake and only lasting a short time, or worse. Is Xenon Depot a better option? I see them on the forums, they want double what amazon is asking but I guess I would be willing to pay if I knew they are legit. Just asking cause I really can't afford to do this twice, it's hard out here man!
Old 10-03-16, 02:54 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

thanks for the reply, I am a little nervous about that link, there are a lot of negative reviews on their about them being fake and only lasting a short time, or worse. Is Xenon Depot a better option? I see them on the forums, they want double what amazon is asking but I guess I would be willing to pay if I knew they are legit. Just asking cause I really can't afford to do this twice, it's hard out here man!
The seller is Philips, and I've had them in my car for a while now (always drive with the lights on). Used these in the SC400, since they required the same bulbs, and those lasted for years (only changed them once in the 12 years I had the car). Same deal with the SC, always had lights on. Can't say that I've ever had any issues, nor have several friends I've shown the link to. If you want that extra little bit of assurance, give Xenon Depot a shot.

Could always try these (a lot less reviews, and not sure if they're any different):
https://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-4300K...ds=philips+d4s

Last edited by TRD_Power; 10-03-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 06:39 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I ordered the Philips d4s bulbs from Amazon. They are identical to the factory bulbs -- same brand and model number. They were $50 apiece.
Old 10-04-16, 08:32 AM
Dean2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Both bulbs are going. Replace them both and the problem goes away.

I replaced both of mine in the 2006 GS 430 with the factory Phillips from Amazon at 2 for $79, and guaranteed genuine. The real ones have a unique verification number for each bulb made on the box you can check against the Phillips website. I checked out the ID number to be sure so if they were fakes I could send them back. Work great and saved a ton off of the $210 per light plus install the dealer wanted.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-04-16 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent headlamp out