GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Really loud engine noise on acceleration - 2007 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 06:44 PM
hvargas
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Really loud engine noise on acceleration - 2007 GS 350

I've tried some searches in the forum but couldn't seem to find anything that discussed what I'm experiencing.

I've noticed since yesterday that my engine has become really loud when accelerating - obnoxiously loud. Best way of describing it is it's taken on that "muscle car" sound when accelerating which I'm not a fan of. I've had company in the car and they've asked if I've "made the car louder".

It also seems to be a bit more sluggish at accelerating.... either that or I'm subconsciously afraid to accelerate and push it too hard.

I topped it off with oil because it was a bit low and that didn't make a difference. It is however, just about time for an oil change... could this play a factor?

Here's a vid. I cut it short because it then becomes all wind noise... but even then it doesn't do a wonderful job at explaining the noise.

I'll prob call my mechanic tomorrow morning and schedule something mid-week... but any tips/suggestions are of course appreciated.

Last edited by hvargas; 03-13-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 10:00 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Sounds like an exhaust pipe leaking. The mid pipe connection is probably broken. You probably need a new mid pipe if it has never been changed. Mine was changed by the previous owner.
Just check underneath the car to see if there is exhaust coming from the middle of the car. Feel around for air coming out of the pipes. Good luck
Old 03-14-16, 08:13 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Sounds like an exhaust pipe leaking. The mid pipe connection is probably broken. You probably need a new mid pipe if it has never been changed. Mine was changed by the previous owner.
Just check underneath the car to see if there is exhaust coming from the middle of the car. Feel around for air coming out of the pipes. Good luck
THIS. It happened to me as well after I hit 120k miles. It was just a reason for me to start modifying the car
Old 03-14-16, 10:09 AM
hvargas
Driver

Originally Posted by Skylar978
THIS. It happened to me as well after I hit 120k miles. It was just a reason for me to start modifying the car
Pricey repair?

And, assuming it is this? Any harm in driving around like this for a week until my mechanic is back from vacation?
Old 03-14-16, 01:03 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah expensive since you have AWD and there doesn't appear to be aftermarket options. Maybe your mechanic can weld and fix the damaged section. Driving it should be fine for the time being. You may get bad gas mileage since there is less back pressure.

I'm a little disappointed with the longevity of the exhaust system. My muffler system was replaced on the day of purchase last year, luckily for free. I was shocked how corroded they were. There were holes in the mufflers. I'm guessing that drivers are just braver driving in snow with AWD exposing it more to road salts.
Old 03-14-16, 07:07 PM
hvargas
Driver

So went to two exhaust repair shops today in Mississauga, Ontario. Both confirmed the noise was from exhaust leaks and offered two packages.

Shop A wanted to replace most of the exhaust system underneath the car from where the heat shields begin, through to the catalytic converters and ending at the gasket before the muffler. Hope that all makes sense, still learning car terminology haha. He claimed there were a few leaks and it was best to replace it all and save trouble down the road. Best price he could give was $800 CAD.

Shop B did a bit more of a thorough test and actually checked for leaks with the car on. He said there was only one leak where one of those troublesome heat shields ends, on the driver side. He said I really only had to replace that part of the piping but recommended doing both sides since the other part would most likely have issues as well. Quoted me $320 CAD flat for stainless steel replacements on both sides.

I've booked an an appointment with shop B for tomorrow evening. Will report results afterwards *fingers crossed*
Old 03-15-16, 06:32 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hvargas
So went to two exhaust repair shops today in Mississauga, Ontario. Both confirmed the noise was from exhaust leaks and offered two packages.

Shop A wanted to replace most of the exhaust system underneath the car from where the heat shields begin, through to the catalytic converters and ending at the gasket before the muffler. Hope that all makes sense, still learning car terminology haha. He claimed there were a few leaks and it was best to replace it all and save trouble down the road. Best price he could give was $800 CAD.

Shop B did a bit more of a thorough test and actually checked for leaks with the car on. He said there was only one leak where one of those troublesome heat shields ends, on the driver side. He said I really only had to replace that part of the piping but recommended doing both sides since the other part would most likely have issues as well. Quoted me $320 CAD flat for stainless steel replacements on both sides.

I've booked an an appointment with shop B for tomorrow evening. Will report results afterwards *fingers crossed*

Sounds a little pricey to me for one small piece of piping to be cut and welded. When it happened to me a couple of years ago, I ended up going to a "custom" exhaust shop and told them where it was leaking exactly and i just wanted new piping welded on where it had rusted out. Also, I asked them to remove the heat shields which is the culprit of the exhaust issue. I only paid 100 bucks (US $) out the door..

Edit:
Also, It will not do much harm to your car, you may experience slight HP loss and worse Gas mileage at the very most.
Old 03-15-16, 07:04 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why don't you just replace the midpipe and be done with it?
Old 03-15-16, 09:31 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does his mean we should remove the exhaust shield?
Old 03-16-16, 02:07 PM
hvargas
Driver

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Does his mean we should remove the exhaust shield?
I think it's a known issue with this generation GS (and IS I believe?). Not sure if it's recommended to remove it but it'll inevitably corrode underneath have to be replaced.

I ended up getting the front pipes replaced ($320 option mentioned above). My car exhaust is the quietest it's been since I purchased it back in June 2015 - possibly too quiet haha. But much preferred over the obnoxious roar it had before.
Old 03-17-16, 07:38 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

who done it?
Old 03-17-16, 08:28 AM
hvargas
Driver

Originally Posted by burny
who done it?
D'Muffler Mechanix in Mississauga at Dixie/Queensway. Great guys that work there. Brad is the owner.