GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Blue/Purple Projector Lens Color Flicker

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 08:31 PM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue/Purple Projector Lens Color Flicker

I can't tell if I have the tell-tale blue/purple color flicker I see on Maxima's and Infiniti vehicles. Currently I have a set of "Black Series" clear lenses installed on my 2010 GS350 with AFS headlights and they have a very sharp cut-off line. Problem is, according to the pictures I've seen on The Retrofit Source (TRS) website it clearly indicates the FX-R lenses (the Nissan/Infiniti lenses) showing a very noticeable cut-off with that desired blue/purple color.

I just took up a job near Boston and I keep my eyes peeled at night for the color I'm looking for in headlights. 9 times out of 10 it is a Nissan or Infiniti.

Herein lies something else: clear lenses are not everything so I hear. While bulbs play an important part (I use Osram CBI's---the same used on BMW's these days) I have also heard people modify the "cut-off shield." I know what this is but what is there to modify? Do you cut it? Reshape it? Bend it out or bend it inward? Is this what is primarily responsible for the blue/purple color flicker when looking at the headlights from different angles?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I've search tons but I can't seem to find the one gold mine of info I need that clears things up between lenses, bulbs, and the cut-off shield. In addition, is it just plain impossible to get the desired effect if using the stock chrome plastic reflector inside the projector housing itself?

I know it's a lot of questions and I truly do appreciate your time. I have two sets of headlights on my bench ready to take apart---not including the ones on my car. I'm ready for surgery.
Old 01-07-15, 09:08 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to find the right spacing between the cut off shield and bulb.
Old 01-10-15, 07:37 AM
jmack2688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stiles17
I can't tell if I have the tell-tale blue/purple color flicker I see on Maxima's and Infiniti vehicles. Currently I have a set of "Black Series" clear lenses installed on my 2010 GS350 with AFS headlights and they have a very sharp cut-off line. Problem is, according to the pictures I've seen on The Retrofit Source (TRS) website it clearly indicates the FX-R lenses (the Nissan/Infiniti lenses) showing a very noticeable cut-off with that desired blue/purple color.

I just took up a job near Boston and I keep my eyes peeled at night for the color I'm looking for in headlights. 9 times out of 10 it is a Nissan or Infiniti.

Herein lies something else: clear lenses are not everything so I hear. While bulbs play an important part (I use Osram CBI's---the same used on BMW's these days) I have also heard people modify the "cut-off shield." I know what this is but what is there to modify? Do you cut it? Reshape it? Bend it out or bend it inward? Is this what is primarily responsible for the blue/purple color flicker when looking at the headlights from different angles?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I've search tons but I can't seem to find the one gold mine of info I need that clears things up between lenses, bulbs, and the cut-off shield. In addition, is it just plain impossible to get the desired effect if using the stock chrome plastic reflector inside the projector housing itself?

I know it's a lot of questions and I truly do appreciate your time. I have two sets of headlights on my bench ready to take apart---not including the ones on my car. I'm ready for surgery.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/257812-someone-explain-the-projector-lens-cut-off-mod-for-bluish-purple-flickering.html