GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My GS needs some work... help please!!

Old 11-16-14, 06:10 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My GS needs some work... help please!!

I have a 06 GS 300 AWD with about 95k miles. I had the misfire recall done at 90k miles. I planned on keeping my GS because the I felt like since the recall my motor was like new. Im having all sorts of issues with this thing. seems like all of these issues started happening when I got my car back from the dealer when they completed the recall. I didn't have any issues with my car before this service.

1.) I noticed I have a small oil leak about the size of a dime when I cut the car off and come back out in the morning. I hope lexus will warranty that but I doubt it.

2.) there's screeching noise that I hear from the front end at low speeds but when I turn it increases. I can't really tell what side its coming from. Seems like both. im thinking its the wheel bearings or axel but not sure. could be the brakes but I don't think the brakes will cause the noise to increase during turns.

3.) the automatic wipers aren't working not sure if its the sensor or the switch. the other modes work fine.

4.) the sun roof wont close in auto mode, I have to manually close it. if I hold the button to long the sun roof will close and then start to open again.

5.) the memory seats aren't working at all anymore. not sure If I need to reprogram my system.

what do you think about all of these issues?. should I just fix them or just trade it in.. not sure if these are easy fixes especially that noise in the front end, that's scary. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by phat32; 11-16-14 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-16-14, 08:30 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phat32
I have a 06 GS 300 AWD with about 95k miles. I had the misfire recall done at 90k miles. I planned on keeping my GS because the I felt like since the recall my motor was like new. Im having all sorts of issues with this thing. seems like all of these issues started happening when I got my car back from the dealer when they completed the recall. I didn't have any issues with my car before this service.

1.) I noticed I have a small oil leak about the size of a dime when I cut the car off and come back out in the morning. I hope lexus will warranty that but I doubt it.

2.) there's screeching noise that I hear from the front end at low speeds but when I turn it increases. I can't really tell what side its coming from. Seems like both. im thinking its the wheel bearings or axel but not sure. could be the brakes but I don't think the brakes will cause the noise to increase during turns.

3.) the automatic wipers aren't working not sure if its the sensor or the switch. the other modes work fine.

4.) the sun roof wont close in auto mode, I have to manually close it. if I hold the button to long the sun roof will close and then start to open again.

5.) the memory seats aren't working at all anymore. not sure If I need to reprogram my system.

what do you think about all of these issues?. should I just fix them or just trade it in.. not sure if these are easy fixes especially that noise in the front end, that's scary. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Start by taking it back to the dealer who did the work. They have to look at that oil leak since it was a major overhaul and it's only been 5k. As for the noise? Could be a wheel bearing...not uncommon for them to fail around 100k. Electrical issue could be that they need to re-initialize things...
Old 11-16-14, 08:46 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Start by taking it back to the dealer who did the work. They have to look at that oil leak since it was a major overhaul and it's only been 5k. As for the noise? Could be a wheel bearing...not uncommon for them to fail around 100k. Electrical issue could be that they need to re-initialize things...
yea that's my plan this week. Ill call and make an appointment. when you say "re-initialize" things is that something I can do at home or just have the dealer do it. Im pretty mechanically inclined I just don't know with all these computers on cars now a days.

thanks for the response too
Old 11-16-14, 08:53 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

That's the issue, all the repairs that require computers/software that only the dealership service will have. That's how they get ya.
Old 11-16-14, 09:05 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Some of your problems might be related. The oil and screeching noise could be coming from a leaking power steering rack. Screeching is usually a sign of a leak.

The sunroof and memory seats sound like the effects of disconnecting the battery. There are a number of threads discussing how to re-initialize the windows and sunroof, I don't remember exactly but unknown it involves holding the button in the open position for 5 seconds after its open and then the same after its closed.

Not too sure about the auto wipers...
Old 11-16-14, 09:41 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
That's the issue, all the repairs that require computers/software that only the dealership service will have. That's how they get ya.

man yea I try to finagle my way into free warranty stuff but most times I just have to pay.
Old 11-16-14, 09:44 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Some of your problems might be related. The oil and screeching noise could be coming from a leaking power steering rack. Screeching is usually a sign of a leak.

The sunroof and memory seats sound like the effects of disconnecting the battery. There are a number of threads discussing how to re-initialize the windows and sunroof, I don't remember exactly but unknown it involves holding the button in the open position for 5 seconds after its open and then the same after its closed.

Not too sure about the auto wipers...

I was just looking up wheel bearings and hub assemblys and now this power steering rack suggestion scares the crap out of me. Im taking this thing to the dealer as soon as I can so I can know whats wrong then ill decide if im going to just trade it.