GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 01:56 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This WTF expands once it hits operating temp. You do not want to leave that step out.
Old 04-01-14, 01:59 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
This WTF expands once it hits operating temp. You do not want to leave that step out.
ATF

But you theoretically could ballpark it, but I would advise against for the reason you stated. Jumping the pins is not an issue.
Old 04-01-14, 03:02 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Isn't it World Tranny Fluid or maybe WTS, whatever the F it is....lol
Old 04-02-14, 10:59 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

For those in the inland empire, Lexus of Riverside charges $240 for the flush. My SA advised me the transmission is worked on while a specific temp is reached and they get most of the fluid out, not all 12. I am having this done today actually will pick up tomorrow. Is250 loaner is fun !
Old 04-19-14, 06:38 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The DIY is golden. I would add one pre-caution. Before you drain the fluid MAKE SURE YOU ARE ABLE TO LOOSEN THE FILL PLUG. If its tight and you cant get it out you will have to tow to dealer if you had previously had drained the fluid first.

My 2 cents
Old 04-19-14, 10:09 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Great point. In fact i mentioned this in my differential fluid DIY but it absolutely applies here too.
Old 05-01-14, 07:38 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have used the tutorials on this site to maintain my 06 300 AWD to 83k miles throughout its life with no issues which really speaks to how easy it is to work on these cars and the good informative folks on the forum. I'm no mechanic. I have some stupid questions here that may seem fairly obvious to some other folks.

1. If you have an AWD model then you need to be on all jack stands rather than ramps, right? I ask this because if not careful and maintaining the brake wouldn't you move the car accidentally off the ramps if there is drive power to the front wheels while doing the diagnostic procedure, after actually starting the car, where you described shifting out of park, etc to get the fluid temp check to kick in? Did you just mean turn it on fully without actually starting the engine itself. Please excuse me if this seems obvious but it has me paranoid now about doing it.

2. "Move the shift lever from the P to the S position, shift the gear from 1st to 6th and then return the shift lever return to P position." I assume the gear actually going from 1 to 6 is happening only by that P to the S movement. I have an automatic car rather than manual, so i didnt know if this item was something specific to a manual tranny owner since my car doesn't actually have a numbered stick shift being its automatic.

3. Last dumb question set. Can one person do this alone? What tool do you need for that overflow plug, as i looks round with some sort of opening. Is that jsut the picture or is there some sort of hex socket you need?

Last edited by Asav; 05-01-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-01-14, 02:59 PM
alchemist
Instructor

1. you are correct. AWD need to be on all jack stands. You start the car then shift through the gears.

2. This is for auto. GS are not manual. You put the shifter in manual shift mode and go 1 to 6.

3. Yes I did this alone. Allen wrench for overflow.
Old 05-01-14, 03:59 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

iffin you wanna drain all 12 then I would suggest a mate help. Do about 3 at a time. Not bad to have a mate help with the topping off procedure either.
Old 05-01-14, 09:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

There's gotta be an easier way, Drain & fills are 'secure' but not very effective for getting all of it out.

Is there no way to get this going with the transmission cooler line removed and shifting through the gears, shut off, then refill?

I've seen it done this way on other models of Lexus.
Old 05-02-14, 07:39 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i have an idea and you maybe able to find it in YouTube as well. I had an 07 CTS with a sealed tranny. I too wanted to change he fluid out of everything. So what I did was drain all the fluid bought some cheaper fluid and then the full synth stuff.
Where the filter goes into the tranny take it out put a rubber hose tight into that hole then place the other rubber hose into another container I used a large coffee container. Then fill it up. Have your helper, mine was the good wife. Start the car, ps you will need a larger plastic container to catch all of the fluid as it poures out.

So as the helper is shifting thru gears. The tranny pump is pumping the fluid thru the system and it's draining out into the larger bin. Keep adding fluid until you see the color of fluid change as you do then switch to the synth stuff, one quart. Shut off car put everything back together and fill the tranny up.

This worked great, it's not as messy as you would think if you plan everything ahead of time.
Old 05-02-14, 01:00 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Not sure about the caddy but for our cars you would be suggesting to remove the tranny pan, then the filter to complete this? Seems risky. You would still have to add fluid up top in the fill hole in a constant stream to do this. And i would be concerned about not knowing the difference between what is going in and coming out. I would like to be in the ballpark when its time to do the fluid check procedure.

Can you send a link? It sounds interesting nonetheless.

In my opinion, if you have a friend burny's method is the way to go.

Last edited by alchemist; 05-02-14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 10:38 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
1. you are correct. AWD need to be on all jack stands. You start the car then shift through the gears.

2. This is for auto. GS are not manual. You put the shifter in manual shift mode and go 1 to 6.

3. Yes I did this alone. Allen wrench for overflow.
Alchemist thanks for the help buddy!
Old 05-03-14, 12:59 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hanuman
Well i have an idea and you maybe able to find it in YouTube as well. I had an 07 CTS with a sealed tranny. I too wanted to change he fluid out of everything. So what I did was drain all the fluid bought some cheaper fluid and then the full synth stuff.
Where the filter goes into the tranny take it out put a rubber hose tight into that hole then place the other rubber hose into another container I used a large coffee container. Then fill it up. Have your helper, mine was the good wife. Start the car, ps you will need a larger plastic container to catch all of the fluid as it poures out.

So as the helper is shifting thru gears. The tranny pump is pumping the fluid thru the system and it's draining out into the larger bin. Keep adding fluid until you see the color of fluid change as you do then switch to the synth stuff, one quart. Shut off car put everything back together and fill the tranny up.

This worked great, it's not as messy as you would think if you plan everything ahead of time.
That's it, funny you say cadillac, as this is what I helped my mechanic with for his personal vehicle. Sealed trans, large container for the output and fresh fluid out of the container for the inlet. Worked like a charm and was done in about 2-3 minutes of the car running... If i recall he didn't even have to shift through all of the gears either, just D, R & P once done.

Originally Posted by alchemist
Not sure about the caddy but for our cars you would be suggesting to remove the tranny pan, then the filter to complete this? Seems risky. You would still have to add fluid up top in the fill hole in a constant stream to do this. And i would be concerned about not knowing the difference between what is going in and coming out. I would like to be in the ballpark when its time to do the fluid check procedure.

Can you send a link? It sounds interesting nonetheless.

In my opinion, if you have a friend burny's method is the way to go.
Something like this;

Even the infamous "bananaGS" has done this in the past on his Lexus;
http://bananags.grantham-internation...completetrans/
Old 05-03-14, 01:34 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I use that method on my 2002 GS300 and old 91 4runner, but not on the 07 GS350. Just use the drain bolt and get 3 out at a time just like your illustration shows except through the drain bolt. I ran a little over 12 quarts through and it came out nice and red. Then used procedure for top off by jumpering the 4 and 12 pins on OBD

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***