GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

NO more Jerry Johnson mailed warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 12:34 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost of the CPOs are so low when bought from guys like Jerry its VERY inexpensive peace of mind on a $40,000 vehicle especially used. An extra $1200 is not even a thought when considering I am reading the NAV unit cost $15,000 LOL. Toyotas are even less expensive 7 yr / 100K - $889.00. Platinum exclusionary 0 deductible.

That is a drop in the bucket or radiator fan assembly for a used 28K mile Avalon or Venza. But where the real value is in when you sell the car in a state like South Carolina or any non sales tax state you can sell privately and get a couple crand above trade value easily. Sold my last three cars privately for good money only because they had 2-3 years left on the best warranty. Thats better than certified and it cost them nothing as they can buy cars for thousands less than dealers and no $399 doc fees. THERE is where these CPOs really pay off huge.
Old 02-21-14, 01:04 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JerryT
The cost of the CPOs are so low when bought from guys like Jerry its VERY inexpensive peace of mind on a $40,000 vehicle especially used. An extra $1200 is not even a thought when considering I am reading the NAV unit cost $15,000 LOL. Toyotas are even less expensive 7 yr / 100K - $889.00. Platinum exclusionary 0 deductible.

That is a drop in the bucket or radiator fan assembly for a used 28K mile Avalon or Venza. But where the real value is in when you sell the car in a state like South Carolina or any non sales tax state you can sell privately and get a couple crand above trade value easily. Sold my last three cars privately for good money only because they had 2-3 years left on the best warranty. Thats better than certified and it cost them nothing as they can buy cars for thousands less than dealers and no $399 doc fees. THERE is where these CPOs really pay off huge.
First of all i thing you confuse CPO with extended warranty. You are the perfect client for warranties
There is no way the NAV replacement would cost 15k.
Second on a 7y/100k miles, althoght it sounds like a lot, you need to cut the years and miles the car has warranty already. from those 7 years, 4 are covered by basic warranty and from those100k miles 50k are cover by basic and powertrain is covered until 70k. so already doesn;t sounds like a great deal anymore.I can go on but the chances for something to break it that little time the extended warranty is in effect are very slim.
Old 02-21-14, 01:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
First of all i thing you confuse CPO with extended warranty. You are the perfect client for warranties
Second on a 7y/100k miles, althoght it sounds like a lot, you need to cut the years and miles the car has warranty already. from those 7 years, 4 are covered by basic warranty and from those100k miles 50k are cover by basic and powertrain is covered until 70k. so already doesn;t sounds like a great deal anymore.I can go on but the chances for something to break it that little time the extended warranty is in effect are very slim.

ES350 NAV unit from Sewell and on backorder.So a few do die..

8680433070E0
COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY, NAVIGATION COMPUTER (W/ PREMIUM PIONEER AUDIO) (W/ GPS NAVIGATION)
Backorder $13794.34 and add labor.
$10781 with CL discount!

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-21-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 01:55 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
ES350 NAV unit from Sewell and on backorder.So a few do die..

8680433070E0
COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY, NAVIGATION COMPUTER (W/ PREMIUM PIONEER AUDIO) (W/ GPS NAVIGATION)
Backorder $13794.34 and add labor.
$10781 with CL discount!
Those are for 2010 models, are still in warranty anyhow I doubt the entire unit needs to be change, Usually is just the digitizer that fails, few hundred fix.
Old 02-21-14, 02:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are for 2010 models, are still in warranty anyhow I doubt the entire unit needs to be change, Usually is just the digitizer that fails, few hundred fix.
2010 models will eventually be out of basic warranty.Some bought in '09 and early '10 are actually out of basic warranty now.
Most likely a complete NAV system won't need replacing but the point is a Nav unit can and will cost around $15K with labor and tax.
A few hundred for a NAV digitizer repair may just be the labor.

Lexus/Toyota,Honda/Acura aren't what they were 10+ years ago.Unlike in the past when most parts were made in Japan,today many Toyota parts are made in China,Taiwan,India etc.
Then you have the added tech.....

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-23-14 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 06:28 PM
JerryT
Rookie

You confused an acronym error with real understanding. But you were proven wrong on the facts

Perhaps you don't feel a few hundred or a thousand dollars is worth it or perhaps you are tapped out and all in on your car. But Jerry has sold a lot of "peace of mind" to those who believe $800-$1200 is not a lot of money to pay for it. It's a great value and for chump change in relation to the cost of the vehicles. In any case I posted this for those who DO use VSCs and not those who consider themselves above the fray financially, This is not a "Should I buy a VSC thread?"

In that case you should not be here at all. No car is immune from issues Especially Toyota products. They have had the highest recalls in the past two years on their products.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...ime-in-4-years. http://www.lexus.com/recall/

Lets not forget Lexus is a Toyota product, Yes Lexus is in recall the mix. I would be more inclined to buy a VSC on a Lexus than a Corolla.

All that said Troy is still selling them and Hutchinson gave me quotes as well. Looks like they targeted the big guy first.
Old 02-21-14, 06:52 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Or to be old and not to smart financially speaking
Extended warranties sell costly "peace of mind" for repair nightmares that probably won't occur. If you have few thousands to throw on the window you are much better putting them in a saving account that guess what . has no expiration date, no limit in miles, no exclusions and guess what. .they earn you interest also..
But hey, if that makes you sleep at night by all means
If you are so smart financially speaking, why didn't you buy a used Kia Spectra instead of a Lexus and din't put the rest of the money in a saving account? Just think of how much interest you would have earned by now!
Old 02-21-14, 06:54 PM
arnieosp
Racer

The Lexus extended warranty Jarry used to sell WAS the CPO warranty, exactly the same coverage by Lexus, not a third-party extended warranty. No confusion there.
Old 02-21-14, 06:56 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
If you are so smart financially speaking, why didn't you buy a used Kia Spectra instead of a Lexus and din't put the rest of the money in a saving account? Just think of how much interest you would have earned by now!
I would have had to buy extended warranty lol. Not really smart

The Lexus extended warranty Jarry used to sell WAS the CPO warranty, exactly the same coverage by Lexus, not a third-party extended warranty. No confusion there.
I think you're confused.
The extended warranty Jerry used to sell was not CPO. you cannot buy CPO warranties those are assigned by dealers to vehicles and cannot be transferred if you sell your vehicle.

Last edited by keyframe13; 02-21-14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 07:01 PM
arnieosp
Racer

No, but seriously, I treated it like an insurance. If you think about it, the insurance is also a pure waste of money.... until you get in a crash. And no one is planning on that to happen.
Old 02-21-14, 08:21 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JerryT
You confused an acronym error with real understanding. But you were proven wrong on the facts

Perhaps you don't feel a few hundred or a thousand dollars is worth it or perhaps you are tapped out and all in on your car. But Jerry has sold a lot of "peace of mind" to those who believe $800-$1200 is not a lot of money to pay for it. It's a great value and for chump change in relation to the cost of the vehicles. In any case I posted this for those who DO use VSCs and not those who consider themselves above the fray financially, This is not a "Should I buy a VSC thread?"

In that case you should not be here at all. No car is immune from issues Especially Toyota products. They have had the highest recalls in the past two years on their products.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...ime-in-4-years. http://www.lexus.com/recall/

Lets not forget Lexus is a Toyota product, Yes Lexus is in recall the mix. I would be more inclined to buy a VSC on a Lexus than a Corolla.

All that said Troy is still selling them and Hutchinson gave me quotes as well. Looks like they targeted the big guy first.
I don;t know what VSC is. I do know what VSA is.
Of course no car is immune to issues but Lexus Toyota are the most reliable cars in the world right now. The fact that they have recalls is not a bad thing because recalls are aknowladge of a problem that manufacure would fix for free.so buying warranty because of that is dumb(sorry).
Lexus and Toyota stay behind their product very well.
I care less about people buyin extended warranties. I have no benefit.(wish i had) My initial comment was that , the peace in mind should be the fact that you bought a lexus. That's the whole deal about it and people choose it over germans because of the reliability not because something else. The germans still drive better( when they works).
I know I would buy an extended warranty is I would buy a BMW at some point.

"Toyota, on the other hand, has excelled in Consumer Reports latest ratings. Its three brands — Scion, Toyota, and Lexus — swept the top spots. Toyota is clearly setting the pace in reliability. Of the 27 models in the brand's lineup, 16 earned the highest rating. The subcompact Prius C earned Consumer Reports top score overall. The hatchback Prius, the larger Prius V, and the new Prius plug-in were also above average."

"Lexus, Toyota and Acura top Consumer Reports' annual reliability survey, but a brand from General Motors and two from Europe have cut into the top 10."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ility/3286915/

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/consu...ability-survey
Old 02-21-14, 08:24 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Okay, you can have the last word in this conversation.
Old 02-22-14, 08:32 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I am very convinced about that. You make it sound like your uncle saved thousands. He didn;s save much if $300 was what he saved. He has just bad luck., Of course some people would benefit, my point is that a very small percentage benefits with reliable cars like Lexus. Extended warranties are a huge money maker for them.
As for your &6k savings you need to give more details, what mileage your car had, was it still under factory warranty what work was done, 100 pages might sound like a lemon already.
p.s your car was probably out of warranty by the time you bought it hence why the dealer cannot sell you one because they love to do that.
Saving $300 and STILL coming out on top on future repairs, as a peace of mind is still coming out on top if you ask me .

I say he just had bad luck too, then again, anyone who comes in on warranty claim has had bad luck really.... No one wants it to happen, but in life stuff happens, if you know what I mean .

My car had 45k at the start of the creaks and noises. That was covered under CPO (only because I had an amazing service advisor). that was about 200$ in repairs alone, that's 200/the $800 of that warranty extension. I was out of Lexus warranty but was under CPO since I bought pre-owned back in 2010 (I don't think I can afford to pay $60k for a car I really wanted). Within the CPO period, I racked up $6k in random CPO claims like headlight water, door panels being replaced, speakers being replaced, etc. etc. 100+ pages isn't just in receipts though, it is detailed information about why you got the repair and the true cost and etc. etc...... If you ask me, the headlight being replaced is already more than paid for the extended warranty 2 times.

It is what it is though, you have your thoughts and we have ours . All the more power to you, and GL in your future car ventures.

FWIW, if you think my car's a lemon because I've had 100 pages worth of work done on the car, you should see half of the ppl on this 3GS forum, with recalls up the wahoo about oil leaks, full engine rebuilds and all that. I'm very fortunate to not have run into that problem yet *knocks on wood*
Old 02-22-14, 09:10 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I'm not interested in arguing about which way is smarter/better, but I have NEVER purchased a warranty and never regretted it. Our 4runner has 101k+ miles and besides a few batteries and a condenser(tree branch poked through it) we have never had an issue that would have required a warranty.

As expensive as some of the parts are on the GS I do admit it could VERY easily bite me in the **** someday. I'm not willing to let a shop/dealer work on my vehicles so the cost would only be parts and Id search for a used/junkyard replacement(depending on the part). Even still the parts could become expensive. I'd rather take my chances and hope for good luck than spend the money on a warranty that I might not use. That's just me though. I'm not saying its the right way or the best way, but it's the way I like it and it has proven to be the best way FOR ME so far.

:knocks on wood:

Lol
Old 02-22-14, 10:01 AM
JerryT
Rookie

My home is paid off and I still carry insurance. Never had a fire theft or claim of any kind in 40 years. Cars are paid off and I still carry collision and comp. Never used them either. Its just insurance. The discounted VSCs were worth it. Would I pay $2300 for a VSC? Not a chance. $900 for the same All day long.

The cost is peanuts compared to the losses. VSC =Vehicle Service Contract. No one sells "extended warranties" That is a misnomer. The CPO is great peace of mind on a Lexus especially. But we don't buy our Toyotas from Toyota dealers because the additional discounted costs of the VSC ona still in warranty vehicle were far more comprehensive than their CPO plans and the additional expense for "certified" was not worth it if the vehicle is still under warranty and a discounted VSC can be purchased. I don't have faith in their "certified" either.

I just looked at a Lexus a week ago to replace an Infiniti. The sales guy brought out the very nice folder with all the things Lexus did including a clean Carfax. I made an offer they (thankfully) did not accept at the time . So I left. I went home and since I had paid for 5 Carfaxes I decided to run a current one on the Lexus. Low and behold there was a accident noted in july 2012 which was not entered into the record until December (as noted also) AFTER the dealer got the car and put it in the CPO program. The sales manager called me with "good news" and accepted my offer. I told them about the Carfax and said I could not buy a Lexus with a bad Carfax and get stuck in the car. They were surprised since they ran the Carfax when they received the car before Carfax noted it, Wreck was in NJ, Front end. (I have to wonder about their 50000 point inspection not noticing a front end wreck.) I would not buy a car there that wasn't on the lot more than six months now LOL.

She was surprised. Next thing I see the price is dropped to my offer online $2000 less than their supposedly fair no haggle "market prices" . Still certified. Soon after the car was gone. I believed they wholesaled it to another dealer. Not sure a Lexus dealer would want any car with a wreck on the Carfax on the front line. So much for CPO Lexus

The moral of the story is Lexus is not perfect. They are just better. But they can have issues and when they do the costs can easily exceed $500. I like this site for real word repairs and reliability studies.

http://www.truedelta.com/Lexus-ES/problems-157/2007

IN any case I did not want to get into a pssining match here regarding VSCs. I think Lexus has the best CPO for those who don't keep their cars. VSC not necessary. For longer term owners I would likely want to protect myself against expensive little things that may go wrong. I would not take a Lexus to anyone BUT the dealer should something go wrong. Nor would I look for parts in a junkyard like I did when I was in my 20's. IMO

The VSCs are so cheap on all Toyotas in relation to the price of the vehicle (When they can be bought from the Troys and Jerrys) it doesn't pay not to get one. That is because of the reliability perceived or otherwise, A GM VSC is astronomical in comparison and I would never own the car again or buy a VSC on one.

Quick Reply: NO more Jerry Johnson mailed warranties