GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 03:27 PM
TXH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Can somebody "please" recommend a "Smooth , least noisy & fairly less bumpy tires " for my preowned GS AWD 2010 ( fairly new with only 10k miles . Lexus dealer Changed the Dunlop Sports 5000 to Good year Assurance ( fuel max ) with some improvement ( ~ 20 % ).
Wondering if I can change again if a better tire exists . Lexus dealership has been fairly cooperative/kind BUT do not want to suggest any specific brand . They want me to do my own research ..... so I will need your HELP.
Confused & Frustrated . Thanks

Last edited by TXH; 04-18-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 04:21 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

It sounds like you are trying to tame relatively noisy and rough riding tires - common in most performance low profile tires. I just replaced the Bridgestone 960s on my 2007 GS350 with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires - stock/OEM size. This is the second vehicle that I have owned that I have installed these tires. I feel given their quiet, smooth and more compliant (softer) ride they offer "very good" traction in both wet and dry conditions. Their softer sidewall is evident in the "not as crisp" response yet if like me, you aren't looking to slalom or track race on the weekend this is a great tire for a luxurious yet safe and grippy ride.

I recommended them to a coworker who aggressively drives a BMW 330Ci for his daily commute. He's gone through about 3 sets of Micheline PS tires and loved the grip yet was tiring of the rough ride. He had the same comments once having the DWS's installed. He can feel the give in the sidewalls and softer response yet totally enjoys the more compliant ride characteristics.

If you haven't yet, check out the reviews on tires on Tirerackdotcom. Great place for tire research and/or purchase.

Good luck - nice to hear your dealer has been accommodating etc.
Old 04-18-13, 04:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TXH
Can somebody "please" recommend a "Smooth , least noisy & fairly less bumpy tires " for my preowned GS AWD 2010 ( fairly new with only 10k miles . Lexus dealer Changed the Dunlop Sports 5000 to Good year Assurance ( fuel max ) with some improvement ( ~ 20 % ).
Wondering if I can change again if a better tire exists . Lexus dealership has been fairly cooperative/kind BUT do not want to suggest any specific brand . They want me to do my own research ..... so I will need your HELP.
Confused & Frustrated . Thanks
If quiet, smooth riding tires are what you are looking for, a quick jaunt to Tire Rack will give you a good idea of what is available and what others think about them. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...utoModClar=AWD

Bridgestone Serenity Plus' are on top and I'll vouch for their quiet, smooth ride, with a little bit of focus on fuel economy. I also like the Michelins that are tied for 2nd on the list. Looking for something with more of a focus on fuel economy, Bridgestones Ecopia EP422 would be a suitable replacement as well, though not quiet the focus on quiet and smooth...
Old 04-18-13, 06:08 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We are running Nitto on the wifes 350. Great tire and a great price and a great look
Old 04-18-13, 07:10 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got 4 new Michelin Super Sport, and they the best. Great traction, quiet, and smooth.
Old 04-18-13, 08:41 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

You might not believe this. But I am the person so crazy on the tires. I believe the tire as well as brake are one of the most important component in the car. I have had following tires install on my GS. Stock Yokohama. Falken ZX, Michellin Pilot A/S, Michellin Super Sport, Michellin PS2, Continental extreme contact, Pirelli P7 and Nexen N7000. i still have one set of brand new Michellin PS3 in my garage havn't been installed. I just want my tire is smooth quite but also keep some performance capability. The best time for me is Nexen N7000> Pirelli P7 > Yokohama> Michellin Pilot A/S> Michellin PSS > Falken ZX > Michellin PS2 > Continental Extreme contact. It is just my opinion.
Old 04-19-13, 02:25 PM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Conti DWS on my GS,I have no complaints and plan to buy them again. I have had the Michelin P/S on my LS good tire, just did not get the wear I was hoping for. Also had Pirelli PZero/Nero on the LS, I liked that tire as well. Sold the car before I had many miles on the tire so I cannot vouch for wear but they were quiet.
Old 04-19-13, 02:32 PM
bklynjoker
Rookie

I bought nittos for my 20's from eBay GREAT deal.. Awesome n really smooth/quite
Old 04-20-13, 05:35 PM
Lexecute
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a 2010 GS that had brand new Goodyears that were beyond horrid. I mean LOUD. Based on advice on this forum I replaced them with the Continental DWS. Much more quiet and no complaints, but next time I'd like something that is even MORE quiet.
Old 04-21-13, 07:55 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitto Invo and really like the Nitto 555's
Old 04-30-13, 10:40 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will need some tires soon and I always see the continentals recommended but curious as those are z rated if they wear out really fast. Any opinions? Thanks
Old 04-30-13, 01:00 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I have the DWS and there ok! A little Quieter then the Falken FK I had before. But they do have an issue with flat spotting. On cold days because they have nylon in the rubber they flat spot. A block or two smoothes them out, It's not bad, but still not 100% satisfied with them.

They also run bigger more square then other tires, so if your running a tight fit, adding the DWS will most likely cause you to rub
Old 04-30-13, 02:25 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

+ Continentals ExtremeContact DWS.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y
Old 04-30-13, 02:30 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Continentals ExtremeContact DW (live in CA so don't need the snow part). I too have problems with flat spotting if it sits for 1-2 weeks but after a mile or two it disappears
Old 05-02-13, 05:46 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Bridgestone Serenity

Quick Reply: Tires