GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The TRUTH about Reprogramming Smart Keys (FOB)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 10:47 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Sorry for reviving an old thread but had some questions. I bought a key fob from Sewell parts as well as a key cut to the VIN. I need to program the key fob. This key fob is "brand new" and not used so will I still run into the whole "only a dealer can program it," excuse?
A new key should be fine.

Old keys can be re-used but you have to wipe the cars memory and reprogram all the keys to the car. It is a long process and I'm afraid of locking myself out. A virgin key should be able to be added without the wipe and just adding that one into memory.
Old 04-29-15, 01:54 PM
DanMGN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A general rule of mine when dealing with refurb keys is to stay away from ebay or amazon, and stick to suppliers with good reviews. They are more expensive, but the results are night and day. Common problems with bad key suppliers can be anything from wrong transponder type to poorly milled mechanical keys.
Old 02-26-17, 07:59 AM
ccbcc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default recently programmed a virgin key

Just want to share with the community my recent experience of programming a key fob.

I bought the MIniVCI cable from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-Dia...921340&vxp=mtr

and the virgin key&fob from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIRGIN-Unloc...-/331830141827

I followed instructions found on youtube (search "lexus key fob programming techstream" and everything worked fine. The pain is to find an old Win XP machine to install TechStream shipped with the MiniVCI cable. Programming itself took a few minutes.
The following users liked this post:
chrisca70 (06-28-21)
Old 02-26-17, 09:28 AM
rickdestik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TechStream Software

I loaded the TechStream software on a Win10 notebook and it works great. You can also download the latest software from Toyota.
ccbcc (02-26-17)
Old 07-06-17, 11:21 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts
Question techstream New Software ????

where you can download new software for toyopta /lexus you said?
I have bought miniVCI from ebay but my version of software was 10.39 I am looking for 12.00 or higher.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by lexusisgs; 07-06-17 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-06-17, 04:28 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I need one of those TechStream cables badly, but I don't have a laptop with the required operating system to run the software. I also read that the software is loaded with trojans.

I want to reprogram my auto door Lock/Unlock feature. And I also want to disable the telescoping steering wheel that automatically pulls away when you exit the vehicle.
Old 07-07-17, 02:38 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Techstream works fine on windows 10. You don't need 32-bit XP
Old 07-07-17, 03:56 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A guy on eBay sells one that works with any windows application. He is in another country that I can't remember. He is also very responsive to follow up questions. Alexslale from Bulgaria on eBay

Last edited by burny; 07-07-17 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 04:26 PM
tbarrios
Driver

Can I buy a used key fob and use the miniVCI cable and techstream to reprogram it?

UPDATE: I bought a used smart key ($50) and ordered a miniVCI cable online ($20). I'm planning on following the directions in the videos linked above. But I dont think my key is a virgin key. Will I still be able to program it? I currently have one key which I assume is the master key. I really dont want to give my money away at a car dealer. If I cant program the key myself I found a locksmith here in LA that will do the programming for $50.

Last edited by tbarrios; 09-22-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 05:01 PM
tbarrios
Driver

Got a VCi cable and tech stream software but it won’t connect to my 2006 is250. Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-18, 03:35 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarrios

Can I buy a used key fob and use the miniVCI cable and techstream to reprogram it?

UPDATE: I bought a used smart key ($50) and ordered a miniVCI cable online ($20). I'm planning on following the directions in the videos linked above. But I dont think my key is a virgin key. Will I still be able to program it? I currently have one key which I assume is the master key. I really dont want to give my money away at a car dealer. If I cant program the key myself I found a locksmith here in LA that will do the programming for $50.

1. Key fobs are mated to the original ecu. I could not add a used key using Techstream to my 07 gs450h.
I had to erase and virginize it to be able to add it. New keys work because they are not mated yet.

2. Most people do the easier way.
Another way is to erase all keys is to reset the immobilizer, you can use a dedicated programmer or Techstream but you have to enter a Special dealer unlock access code that you have to get from a locksmith or dealer or online for $5-10
Toyota and the Dealers dont want you to do this except for emergencies. WHY?

Because they keep a master List of original key combos in their secret database Master file. Inc ase any subsequent owner loses their keys they can have one sent to them with this info on file. When someone alters it, like reset the immobilizer and change or add keys things get out of whack and they will look stupid to send a subsequent owner a key that doesnt work because the original information ha been changed and they didnt know. Suppoosedly when this is done they are supposed to fill a report to Toyota to inform them the ecu and serial # assoiciated with that has changed key information. But who really does that?

Mercedes and BMW is same way.

You can also find a way to virginize and erase the previous pairing to the old ecu. Then you can this now clean key to the car memory ecu. If the key is exactly the same match fcc id, board # etc.

Last edited by samsonn25; 11-08-18 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 03:37 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarrios
Got a VCi cable and tech stream software but it won’t connect to my 2006 is250. Any suggestions?

Make sure it is a good VCI cable with good hardware drivers that the computer needs to be able to read it, , and make sure you install correctly, and a good Techstream version, many have bugs or are corrupted.
Old 11-09-18, 09:21 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonn25
Another way is to erase all keys is to reset the immobilizer, you can use a dedicated programmer or Techstream but you have to enter a Special dealer unlock access code that you have to get from a locksmith or dealer or online for $5-10

You can also find a way to virginize and erase the previous pairing to the old ecu. Then you can this now clean key to the car memory ecu. If the key is exactly the same match fcc id, board # etc.
Most programmers that locksmiths use bypass the seed/access code requirement.

We offer the key virginization service you mention. It allows you to perform the add key function, rather than requiring a reset.
NdYAG (11-18-18)
Old 04-16-19, 11:04 AM
Chobit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samsonn25
1. Key fobs are mated to the original ecu. I could not add a used key using Techstream to my 07 gs450h.
I had to erase and virginize it to be able to add it. New keys work because they are not mated yet.

2. Most people do the easier way.

Because they keep a master List of original key combos in their secret database Master file. Inc ase any subsequent owner loses their keys they can have one sent to them with this info on file. When someone alters it, like reset the immobilizer and change or add keys things get out of whack and they will look stupid to send a subsequent owner a key that doesnt work because the original information ha been changed and they didnt know. Suppoosedly when this is done they are supposed to fill a report to Toyota to inform them the ecu and serial # assoiciated with that has changed key information. But who really does that?

Mercedes and BMW is same way.

How did you manage to virginize the key?
Old 04-16-19, 01:29 PM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a used key fob from the bay, took it to the dealer, they reprogrammed it to my car for $50. In/out in about 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: The TRUTH about Reprogramming Smart Keys (FOB)