GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-15-14, 12:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

TPMS question - can the TPMS check system light be disabled

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 02:35 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default TPMS question - can the TPMS check system light be disabled

Hi fellas
My check tire pressure system light came on recenly while driving. Pressure is fine, the light is not the light you get when a tire goes low. Basically you have the blinking icon, etc.

I took it to my wonderful service advisor, robert at lexus of riverside (btw he is a great guy and I recommend him for those in the inland empire / riverside area).

Anyhow, one of the sensors has died, unknown cause at this point as the sensors were not removed for diagnostics.

We have several options and wanted to get input from you folks. One option, replace the bad sensor .....option 2, get all new sensors (either oem or aftermarket) and have dealer initialize them.

Option 3....unplug the brain ..... safety concerns aside, has anyone done this on the 3gs ?

I found this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-system-2.html

I was planning to try this on my GS. Anyone done it already ??

Last edited by EyeKutr; 03-06-13 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 03:48 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you check your tire pressure with a good gauge, like the old days, then you're good. You'll know if you get a flat/blowout.
I'm all for disabling the system, but if you want the functionality from here on out... it will cost you, what I'd say to be 4 sensors.
Old 02-06-13, 06:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I doubt you can disable the TPMS on the newer cars, unless there is something new.

If you look on ebay I am sure you can find a new or near new set for cheap and just have the dealer program them for you.
Old 02-06-13, 06:59 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I doubt you can disable the TPMS on the newer cars, unless there is something new.

If you look on ebay I am sure you can find a new or near new set for cheap and just have the dealer program them for you.
ibid.....thanks for chiming in....did you see this thread. ?...it is possible

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-system-2.html

just was wondering if anyone has done it on the GS300/gs350 ? Remember, we are not ones to take no for an answer.... I did the first turn signal side mirror install years back....some fellow member swapped the entire 4th gen nav for a 5th gen....that is work, many of us worked on the nav dvd bypass, if anyone finds tricks etc we will find it.

I suspect as batteries die on our sensors, this will be a greater issue....I am OK with not having that functionality....it is not a huge deal for me. I check my pressure and actually look at my tires myself.
Old 02-06-13, 07:40 PM
slideland
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey at the Dealership we Run into people who don't want to pay for the tire pressure service to just buy a small doughnut or a wheel off a dolly to stuff all the sensors inside of the tire and that tricks the ecu. there is not much ways around the tire pressure system because it is legally binded by law.

but a blinking sensor light usually is a tire pressure error and most errors are low batteries. so your best bet is going to Toyota getting them to price and set them to the ECU and you put them in a spare that your not driving on.
Old 02-06-13, 08:15 PM
EyeKutr

Slideland
thanks for the input..... From what I have researched, aftermarket sensors can be purcahsed for as little as about 125-150 a set. Then all you have to do it have the dealer program them to your car. Of course if you have them, there is no reason not to spend another $20 a tire and swap them in your wheels. That is about $300-400 job total. i am thinking I dont want to spend that on the car.....I just dont care for the system....time to take apart the dash console....I remember seeing the ECU for this....let me dig up the pic

Last edited by EyeKutr; 03-04-13 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 08:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Try to disconnect the plug and see if the system shuts down, the ecu is located above the navigation. But I have a suspicion it will be more difficult to fool the system.

You dont really need the tpms it was basically designed for soccer mom's in ford explorer's that were running the old firestone tires
Old 02-06-13, 10:54 PM
EyeKutr

ok just unplugged the tire pressure ECU, it sits above the radio unit, accessed by removing the radio / nav unit. It has a single plug. The light stops flashing and just comes on solid LOL. So it is not a fix on the 06 and later GS vehicles. Time to get a new set of pressure sensors.
Old 03-04-13, 03:04 PM
EyeKutr

UPDATE : I bought a set of EZ sensors
http://www.ez-sensor.com/

got them at rock auto

Went to america's tire and for $20 a tire, they swapped the sensors in and programmed them to the car......total cost 145 for sensors plus 100 for swap over with tip
Old 03-04-13, 03:52 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

or you could have put black electrical tape over the tpms light on the dash and saved yourself $245 but the replacement tpms you got is the proper way to correct the check system light.
Old 03-05-13, 07:11 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by Stormforge
or you could have put black electrical tape over the tpms light on the dash and saved yourself $245 but the replacement tpms you got is the proper way to correct the check system light.
No you cant do that....you see just like when the tires are low, 3 different lights come on, a yellow tire indicator, a red triangle i think and a CHECK SYSTEM in the center display and you cant see your mpg or whatever your display normally states. any of these errors literally diables your dash displays with MULTIPLE lights
Old 07-02-14, 09:01 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do most any tire place have the capability of programming the tpms sensors in the link you posted?
Old 10-01-15, 06:28 PM
carart21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello. am i to understand that there is no way i can 'bypass' the ECU for TPM sensors on my 2006 GS300? I really do no need or want this feature and it is costly to replace batteries. Would love to be able to 'disable' it. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-16, 03:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Best price I've been able to get is $240, anybody got the job done cheaper?

I'm about to get a new car and don't want to spend much on this car anymore than I have to.
Old 09-13-16, 05:37 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The TPMS can be disabled If you had Techstream Software.. Otherwise its a trip to the Dealership.

Quick Reply: TPMS question - can the TPMS check system light be disabled