GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 09:03 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I do have an 06, I never drive it nearly enough to even be able to tell if it ever burned oil or not but lexus did the rings job on it and it's been running fine. I swear they spent a small fortune over the years on work to make it run smooth.

Yes it sucks that it had the issue to begin with but so did every other make and model that had the same basic direct injection design. Difference is Lexus was doing major work on the cars even outside of warranty for the problem and as far as I know the other makes like Audi are/were telling people tough **** if your powertrain warranty is done.
Well, it looks like they won't help me out. I don't know why they did the ring job for you if your GS wasn't burning oil. Seems like it's a catch 22 for most of us. Your car either doesn't qualify because it's not burning (enough) oil or if it is burning oil, you will be outside the 9 year window. Especially if you maintain it well and don't drive that many miles. All I'm saying is the dealer looked at it and told me, If you want this fixed it's a $6300 job. And you are a few months outside the 9 year window. So I have a right to be angry, this isn't a Hyundai or a freakin' Kia. This is presumably one of the best cars in the world. I wanted it to last another 100K miles. That's not going to happen.

Now my wife and I are looking to replace her old Camry with an SUV. Guess which dealerships are off my list.

Last edited by LexusLive; 11-30-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 08:44 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well good luck with your new car search...but if you truly believe that another car manufacturer, especially a luxury division, will do more for you then I wish you well on that search. I've been there before with other dealers...MB and BMW don't give a damn about helping people who don't have AMG or M unless you have an S class or 7 series....and that is one of the main reasons I went with Lexus. I do understand your frustrations but regardless of miles it's a 9 year old vehicle.
Old 12-01-14, 01:48 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol true that gotcha350... Before my purchase I was looking at a M5, then I went to their forums to search any trouble issues with those cars and yup, all tore up and abused in which it is already given. It is the same with Audi RS4/S4s, all them power-hungry euros are tempting but after researching through their forums, it figures why they have poor resale values. I'd stick to reliability but going back to the OP, glad they have a recall on the 300s for misfiring
Old 12-04-14, 12:59 AM
rj12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question on those who never received a recall letter. My car had been losing oil far the past 2 years now. I never thought much of it until at times I would check and there would be no oil on the stick (car doesn't always say low oil). I started looking through here and noticed this. The car has at times had the rough idle which almost seems like it's about to stall. It's not every week but happens every now and then. I have questioned them about both which they say that it's normal to lose 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles which seems strange since its 5,000 intervals and I would be at 0 at the oil change date. With The idle they don't have much response. Has anyone paid to have them test. I'm running close the the 9 year deadline. Production date was 2/06. I currently have 125,000 miles on the car. Will they just tell me to change the spark plugs?
Old 12-05-14, 06:35 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Niktak
Even if you do have the dealership perform the "fix" all their doing is bandaging it up. Every single 2006 gs300 is going to have this problem and when it's fixed you'd be lucky to get another 70k out of the car, Those are words straight out of the service managers mouth. My car was 3 weeks out of the 9 years and corporate lexus told me they wouldn't do a single thing for me on my gs with 80k on it. There isn't an actual fix for the problem, the service manager told me he wouldn't perform the "fix" if I were paying out of pocket because it's only a temporary bandage. Bottom line, lexus sells garbage and doesn't back their product.
3 weeks out, and they denied you? I'm more like 3.5 months out, so naturally they gave me a formal denial of claim yesterday. If they can extend the warranty to 9 years, what difference does it make to extend it just a few more months? It's all arbitrary.

There is an inherent design defect, they have admitted it, and if our cars start exhibiting the engine misfire just outside the 9 year window, wouldn't it make sense from a customer satisfaction standpoint to just honor the warranty? How many '06 GS owners are really even aware of this issue? Can't be more than a handful, nationwide.

For $6300, (and it's probably less when it's a Lexus to Dealer warranty issue, that's the consumer price) they could buy a hell of a lot of goodwill from me. And you.

BTW, for you GS 350 owners, I've seen some threads here that sound like you're starting to experience the same issue. I have the feeling as the miles roll up, things could start "getting rough" for all V6 GS drivers.
Old 12-06-14, 01:01 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusLive
3 weeks out, and they denied you? I'm more like 3.5 months out, so naturally they gave me a formal denial of claim yesterday. If they can extend the warranty to 9 years, what difference does it make to extend it just a few more months? It's all arbitrary.

There is an inherent design defect, they have admitted it, and if our cars start exhibiting the engine misfire just outside the 9 year window, wouldn't it make sense from a customer satisfaction standpoint to just honor the warranty? How many '06 GS owners are really even aware of this issue? Can't be more than a handful, nationwide.

For $6300, (and it's probably less when it's a Lexus to Dealer warranty issue, that's the consumer price) they could buy a hell of a lot of goodwill from me. And you.

BTW, for you GS 350 owners, I've seen some threads here that sound like you're starting to experience the same issue. I have the feeling as the miles roll up, things could start "getting rough" for all V6 GS drivers.
I haven't seen any 350's with oil consumption issues...ive seen many with 120k+ with no oil consumption issues...of course they were well maintained as well...
Old 12-06-14, 05:17 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I haven't seen any 350's with oil consumption issues...ive seen many with 120k+ with no oil consumption issues...of course they were well maintained as well...
I maintained my car to the letter. 5K oil changes, most expensive synthetic oil etc. If your piston rings are defective, your car WILL start burning oil far sooner than one could reasonably expect.
Old 12-06-14, 05:17 PM
Niktak
Driver School Candidate

The reason they won't honor the warranty anything after the 9 years is because there are thousands of gs owners out there who don't know about the problem and their cars don't have enough miles to have the problem yet. Furthermore the cars that have had the lexus fix done will sooner or later gonna have the same problem. The Problem with the engine isn't a simple misfire, the problem is that the engines were built with direct injection, so instead of the injectors before the intake valves they direct inject straight to the cylinder thus leaving nothing to wash the valves like a normal engine. Yes other car manufacturers have had the same problem but all of them are wrong in putting this product out to sell when it's not even good for 100,000 miles I just can't believe that a manufacturer such as lexus wouldn't have tested this new motor for at least 200k before putting out to production.
Old 12-06-14, 09:12 PM
Niktak
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LexusLive;8814076]3 weeks out, and they denied you? I'm more like 3.5 months out, so naturally they gave me a formal denial of claim yesterday. If they can extend the warranty to 9 years, what difference does it make to extend it just a few more months? It's all arbitrary.

BTW, for you GS 350 owners, I've seen some threads here that sound like you're starting to experience the same issue. I have the feeling as the miles roll up, things could start "getting rough" for all V6 GS drivers. [/QUOTE

The reason they won't honor the warranty anything after the 9 years is because there are thousands of gs owners out there who don't know about the problem and their cars don't have enough miles to have the problem yet. Furthermore the cars that have had the lexus fix done will sooner or later gonna have the same problem. The Problem with the engine isn't a simple misfire, the problem is that the engines were built with direct injection, so instead of the injectors before the intake valves they direct inject straight to the cylinder thus leaving nothing to wash the valves like a normal engine. Yes other car manufacturers have had the same problem but all of them are wrong in putting this product out to sell when it's not even good for 100,000 miles I just can't believe that a manufacturer such as lexus wouldn't have tested this new motor for at least 200k before putting out to production.

Today, 06:17 PM

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...#ixzz3LBa1bukH
Old 12-07-14, 06:18 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXUS40
December 2011 on Christmas Eve I was driving & my Low Engine Oil Light beeped and the light came on, Concerned me because my car is at the Lexus Dealership every 6k miles for an oil change. I called Lexus & drove my car to them immediately. They called me the next day & said I had a piston ring that was leaking & it would be $7500 to repair. My husband said that's bs so we ignored it because there wasn't ever oil on my engine or my garage floor. My low engine oil light has coninued to come on 1000k miles before the oil change so I add 2 quarts & continued to drive it. In Nov 2012 I received a letter from Lexus about this misfire & called them. They said they didn't have aything listed for my car even though I had the letter in my hands with my VIN on it. I scheduled a service appt & they picked up my car along with my letter. I received a call that my engine would be done at no cost to me & they'd order the parts. My car is at the dealership now & the work is complete. I received a call from my service advisor yesterday & they also replaced my water pump as well as my spark plugs. I'll be getting my car back tomorrow morning. My car is an 06 &I bought it new & have taken really could care of it & have done all the maintenance on it. I bought it Sept 05, it's an 06 & I have 125,000 miles on it.

I've always loved Lexus & I love them even more now! They really do take care of their customers! I'll buy another Lexus once this one decides to die. I hope to get 300,000 miles out of this one.
This proves that it doesn't matter if you have the car serviced at the dealer. I hate it when they insinuate that I should have taken it to Lexus for those special $100 oil changes. A defective piston ring design is a critical flaw that will always end up failing, sooner or later, no matter if you go get your car abused by the wrench monkeys at Jiffy Lube or the Lexus Tech gurus at your local stealership.

The 2006 GS 300 may well be the first Lexus to officially be "all done" by 80,000 miles or so. Talk about damaging the brand's reputation. They are denying my claim, as I'm 4 months outside the 9 year period. I am livid, as I have just 88,000 on the car. Nice to see they honored yours. The lesson is- drive the b@lls off the thing, make it start burning oil before the 9 year period is up and they will give you $7000 worth of engine work gratis.
Old 12-07-14, 01:13 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Are you suggesting that I didn't maintain my GS, and that's why it requires $6,300 worth of engine work at just 88K miles? I've been a lot harder on much cheaper cars that never burned even half a quart between oil changes.

I would have been better off if had abused my GS, and run it 10K between oil changes. Then I would have felt the engine misfire in the 9 year window, and Lexus would have repaired my engine under the warranty.
Old 12-07-14, 03:18 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Are you suggesting that I didn't maintain my GS, and that's why it requires $6,300 worth of engine work at just 88K miles? I've been a lot harder on much cheaper cars that never burned even half a quart between oil changes.

I would have been better off if had abused my GS, and run it 10K between oil changes. Then I would have felt the engine misfire in the 9 year window, and Lexus would have repaired my engine under the warranty.
I'm not sure if you comprehend what I said....i said 350's...not 300's...big difference. We share nothing in common except for that they are both V6 DI engines.

I clearly stated 350's!!! So stop with the are you saying stuff....everyone knows that Lexus had a design issue with the 300
Old 12-07-14, 03:19 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

This proves that it doesn't matter if you have the car serviced at the dealer. I hate it when they insinuate that I should have taken it to Lexus for those special $100 oil changes. A defective piston ring design is a critical flaw that will always end up failing, sooner or later, no matter if you go get your car abused by the wrench monkeys at Jiffy Lube or the Lexus Tech gurus at your local stealership.

The 2006 GS 300 may well be the first Lexus to officially be "all done" by 80,000 miles or so. Talk about damaging the brand's reputation. They are denying my claim, as I'm 4 months outside the 9 year period. I am livid, as I have just 88,000 on the car. Nice to see they honored yours. The lesson is- drive the b@lls off the thing, make it start burning oil before the 9 year period is up and they will give you $7000 worth of engine work gratis.
Once again....you listed a 300....try again
Old 12-07-14, 06:27 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

I'm not sure if you comprehend what I said....i said 350's...not 300's...big difference. We share nothing in common except for that they are both V6 DI engines.

I clearly stated 350's!!! So stop with the are you saying stuff....everyone knows that Lexus had a design issue with the 300
I comprehend exactly what you said. Every time I mention my engine needing piston ring work, someone chimes in about 'maintenance' as if that's why my engine is misfiring and burning oil. The way you put it "...of course they were well maintained as well..." feels like you are questioning my maintenance habits

And I know you said 350, I get that you have the 3.5 liter engine, and that Lexus 'fixed' the design and that they will never burn oil and that all of us unfortunate enough to have the first year model are screwed.

Note that the title of this thread is Recall on the GS300 engine misfire. Whenever I get off-topic, someone comes along and tells me to stop hijacking the thread. So perhaps you don't need to come in here and make us woebegone GS 300 owners feel even worse than we already do because you have the 350. By the way, I've seen a few mentions of the 3.5 engine having some engine misfire issues, might just take a few more years to show up.
Old 12-07-14, 08:42 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

When I mentioned "not well maintained" I was talking about the 350...not 300

And as for thread jacking...several times someone else mention the 350 having reported issues of "oil burning"...all I said, and you can go read my post, was that I have not heard of that and if that is true then show some proof...

I am in no way bashing the 300 owners...let me clear that right now...we all love our car and it sucks that this is a major problem. Like I've mentioned before...I had an Acura TL that went through 3 transmissions...so I know what it feels like to deal with this crap...

But somewhere Lexus has to draw the line...

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire