GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 06:43 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rj12
I was wondering how much oil you all are losing prior to the repair. I haven't received a letter and just got off the phone with Lexus and they said there are no recalls for my car. I am on my second oil consumption test (the first time I wasn't losing any during the test). My last oil change it was short about 3-4 quarts. I never received a low warning light but after the first low oil level warning I have been checking between oil changes.
That's because this isn't a recall.
Old 02-26-13, 09:59 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
That's because this isn't a recall.
Yup, its more like an extended warranty on just the engine internals due to carbon buildup.
Old 02-27-13, 04:50 PM
burton06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have this problem all the time, but one day, it went away, but happens every long time. I called several lexus dealers to see if they could check it out and they all wanted to charge 150 bucks for diagnosis fee if they don't find anything. (car is out of warranty)

For those whos gotten denied, did you have to pay the fee? -- even if your car was out of warranty?
Old 02-27-13, 06:34 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since Lexus announced this campaign in the USA, I would imagine the diagnostic charge would be paid by Lexus to the dealer. The dealer stands to make a nice profit if the diagnostic codes show the failure. If your vehicles vin has been identified as one that flls into the bulletin range, I think the dealer should be checking it free of charge They sure don't sound very customer oriented. I would never buy fom them again nd take your service elsewhere.
Lastly, contact Lexus if all else fails. Maybe they I'll arrange the deler visit.
Old 03-01-13, 02:27 PM
stefnee
Driver

Default Not a Recall

I was wondering how much oil you all are losing prior to the repair. I haven't received a letter and just got off the phone with Lexus and they said there are no recalls for my car. I am on my second oil consumption test (the first time I wasn't losing any during the test). My last oil change it was short about 3-4 quarts. I never received a low warning light but after the first low oil level warning I have been checking between oil changes.

I made that mistake when I first called Lexus in September 2012 and said I received a "recall" letter. The is a Customer Support Program so they are right when they say your car has no recalls now. I would call your local dealership and speak to the Service manager about the CSP. When I spoke to my dealership, i already had five years of documented complaints on file about the issue. They mentioned the diagnostic fee. But by that time I knew they would find the codes and would not have to pay the fee.
Old 03-03-13, 08:18 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

I only had my GS for 2 weeks. I just took it to Lexus of Wilmington Delaware for a oil change and inspection. I didn't say anything about the shutter because corporate said its not under warranty. Which is why I asked if anyone had got the free repair with out the recall on their vin#
Old 03-03-13, 08:27 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

When I called corporate for the first time I asked about a "MIS FIRE RECALL" not a " CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM" so maybe that is why they said I had no recalls for my vin# can anyone here clearify this for me?
Old 03-03-13, 10:15 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mrmarcus30
When I called corporate for the first time I asked about a "MIS FIRE RECALL" not a " CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM" so maybe that is why they said I had no recalls for my vin# can anyone here clearify this for me?
It is a Customer Support Program. Sample of letter is in .pdf on first page of this thread, third post.
Old 03-03-13, 05:28 PM
naquin123
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus didnt send out letters on a recall because it didnt happen on most cars thats what west side Lexus told me. But they did tell me to bring in my 06 gs cause I was getting the oil level low light on before my oil change was due and when I would check the oil there was no oil on the dip stick. I also noticed the there was black stuff on my rear bumber. So they ran a test on my car to see if there was a misfire and there was. So they replaced pistions and rings with no charge. I can say that the car runs much better and with more power. Hope my info answers a few of ya'lls questions. But I still dont understand how they can correct a missfire by changing the pistion rings. Im sure it will happen again sooner or later.
Old 03-05-13, 09:21 AM
rj12
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone get theirs repaired without being part of the program

Just curious how many were able to get theirs repaired who were not part of the program. Just got off the phone with Lexus and they said mine is not part of the csp. I am losing about 3-4 quarts of oil and just curious if they will repair what needs to be done. Occasionally I get a noticeable misfire but that's when I sit and read for an hour in the car on idle. Just frustrated because I bought this car hoping to not have substantial repair costs.
Old 03-05-13, 11:18 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

Just curious how many were able to get theirs repaired who were not part of the program. Just got off the phone with Lexus and they said mine is not part of the csp. I am losing about 3-4 quarts of oil and just curious if they will repair what needs to be done. Occasionally I get a noticeable misfire but that's when I sit and read for an hour in the car on idle. Just frustrated because I bought this car hoping to not have substantial repair costs.

I wanted to know the same thing. Because of it is the 2006 then it should be just the 2006. What if they just say it isn't covered just to save money and time? Then we are in bad shape.....
Old 03-08-13, 06:25 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

The car has about 800 miles on it since the rings were done ans seems to be running well. Idle might be a tad low at about 525 rpm's but cruising is wonderful. I hardly have to touch the gas on the hwy in Econ mode. Computer trip odometer show's 28 -29 mpg. I have only run about a 1/4 to almost half a tank before refueling and am getting over 26 mpg by the pen and paper method. I think I overpaid for my plugs at 180.00 bucks. Guess my dealer felt the need to profit from all ends but all in all, I really won't complain. I consider myself lucky if this repair helps engine longevity.
Old 03-09-13, 05:51 PM
kadakiss
Driver School Candidate

I'm shopping around for an 06 GS 300. I saw one that I really and called the dealership to inquire about it. I asked the sales person about the CSP on the engine and if it could be handled before I purchased the vehicle. She said that she would look into it and call me back. She called me back right away and said that her manager knew exactly what i was talking about as soon as she mentioned it. She said that the issue is going to be fixed before I buy the car, that the shop was just waiting on the parts.

I'd just like to know what exactly should I expect to be repaired and will the engine will be in good shape after these repairs are done. I really don't want to be saddled with a problem car.
Old 03-09-13, 09:15 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by kadakiss
I'm shopping around for an 06 GS 300. I saw one that I really and called the dealership to inquire about it. I asked the sales person about the CSP on the engine and if it could be handled before I purchased the vehicle. She said that she would look into it and call me back. She called me back right away and said that her manager knew exactly what i was talking about as soon as she mentioned it. She said that the issue is going to be fixed before I buy the car, that the shop was just waiting on the parts.

I'd just like to know what exactly should I expect to be repaired and will the engine will be in good shape after these repairs are done. I really don't want to be saddled with a problem car.
Why not buy 07-up? They dont have these issues
Old 03-09-13, 10:24 PM
kadakiss
Driver School Candidate

^ The only reason I was looking at the 06 was because of the lower price but after reading this thread the 07 350 model is looking like a better buy.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire