GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

vossen 10.5 rear wheels and neg camber wearing tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 11:47 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vossen 10.5 rear wheels and neg camber wearing tires

I have vossen 10.5 inch rear wheels on a 08 gs460,the tires are wearining badly in the rear insides. I tried to get it alighned and it says it within factory specs -1.37 or so for camber in the rear,but when you look at the car from the rear,the wheels visually still look tucked in the top.The car isnt lowered at all,I wouldnt think a 2 inch wider wheel in the rear would make it that far off.I dont wana wear tires out this fast. anyone else notice this as well?

Im guessing the machine just cant account for the wider wheels because their is no specs for it in the computer. Does this yr gs have adjustments for camber or any way to not have the rear tires not lean in so badly and wear quick?
Old 08-18-12, 01:44 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like your tires may be seriously under inflated.
Old 08-18-12, 05:47 PM
1supra
Pole Position

Ill check the air pressure but they look fine..whats got me worried is you can visually see the wheels leaning in at the top of the fenders,I put a bubble level on them and they are deff not straight,I know the setup should be a little camber for good handling, but this is just too much with this wide of a tire
Old 08-18-12, 07:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

possibly something was changed from a prior owner if you purchased it used? worth checking if that's the case.

but yea even if your lowered it shouldn't be wearing the tires. do you have a copy of the alignment specs they have the car set at? I wonder if they didn't properly align your car.

and they should be able to place it on the rack and get the specs. shouldn't matter that you have aftermarket rims. camber is not adjustable unless you put aftermarket arms on. but they can adjust your TOE to make sure your with in spec.

Last edited by passnu2; 08-18-12 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-18-12, 08:24 PM
1supra
Pole Position

I just got the alignment done the other day when i noticed the tire wear. They did correct a minor toe setting.But the rears still look so out in camber that I might need to get a camber kit..just dont see how that is possible without the car being dropped..everything is still stock in the suspention no previous changes.
Old 08-19-12, 12:26 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Something's not right for sure.
Old 08-19-12, 06:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

snap a pic and post if you can, lay on the ground and take it to so we can see exactly how its sitting possibly in your garage or as flat of a surface as possible. Maybe your TOE was off so much that it ate up your tires and this is what your issue is.
Old 08-19-12, 09:10 AM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toe is usually the culprit when it comes to tire killing at a fast rate.
Old 08-19-12, 04:06 PM
1supra
Pole Position

I wouldnt say it was at a fast rate,its a daily driver and they have been on the car for 5 months...they are not bald by any means just way more wear on the inside edge. The toe was slightly outa spec,I cant remember how much.I just remember the camber reading in the green at 1.37 and trying to fig out how that is possible with them looking so cambered in at the top visually ...I checked Tire pressure,both were at 31 pounds.Im trying 36 lbs now, Seems like a higher air pressure would in this condition would just wear the tires edge out even faster.At 31 lbs they dont sag at all on 25 series tires
Old 11-05-12, 09:21 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had the car rechecked at the same shop on the rack with the stock rear tires put back on. Everything is checking out fine still. With a couple more months of drive time on these 10.5 rear vossen wheels and vrestein 295 25 20s are totally shot,The Car is on stock suspension and the front tires look like they have VERY little wear with the same amount and type of driving put on them.
This is really aggravating to deal with tires wearing out that fast in the rear,Im starting to think running this wide a rear wheel on this car was a bad idea. How many miles are guys getting on wide rear tires with this car with out camber correcting rear lower arms added to the car.?
Old 11-05-12, 09:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

adjust the toe
Old 11-05-12, 09:42 AM
1supra
Pole Position

the toe was adjusted and rechecked,they gave me the print out and it seems to be in check?
Old 11-05-12, 09:55 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 1supra
I wouldnt say it was at a fast rate,its a daily driver and they have been on the car for 5 months...they are not bald by any means just way more wear on the inside edge. The toe was slightly outa spec,I cant remember how much.I just remember the camber reading in the green at 1.37 and trying to fig out how that is possible with them looking so cambered in at the top visually ...I checked Tire pressure,both were at 31 pounds.Im trying 36 lbs now, Seems like a higher air pressure would in this condition would just wear the tires edge out even faster.At 31 lbs they dont sag at all on 25 series tires

more pressure wears the tire in the center more, regardless if its a 25 series or not.

you should take your car in again to a different alignment shop and see if the alignment is in spec again, this time with you in the car OR however much weight on the car while its driving.

i have the opposite of what youre going through lol... my fronts wear faster than my rear.. my rears are nearly perfect n last for AGES.
Old 11-05-12, 10:42 AM
1supra
Pole Position

i did watch the second go round on the rack at merchants tire where I got the alignment done,everything was in the green. I should have taken it to the pro shop ...mizzels that does all my supras with custom performance alignments,but i just didnt think it was necessary for a standard luxury car setup..I dont weight but 170 lbs. The passenger side rear did wear out alot more than the driver side,but just looking at the camber of both,they appear to be very sim.
Old 11-05-12, 11:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea as long as your TOE is set accordingly you should be fine. Can you post what the alignment results were? I "think" I had posted mine up or started a thread. Either way I'm sure a few can share what their specs were and how much they lowered their car. Would be interesting to compare what others have to see if there is something else going on that your not aware of.

Quick Reply: vossen 10.5 rear wheels and neg camber wearing tires